Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

k10d LCD screen & lens/tele converter question

OK, I searched, googled, and still have no answer... Maybe I'm over looking something in the manual, and maybe I'm so sleepy I can't properly read and understand the book, either way I have a question.

I finally bought a k10d from someone, and I noticed theres a manual lens with it, which is cool cause I plan to use manual anyway. Though I've noticed theres no on screen preview of the thing I'm taking a picture of... The digital preview switch works fine, pictures show up fine when taken, can access menu's, and the focal length option comes up on boot...

My question is, do manual lenses not allow the LCD to have a continuous stream of what ever it's point at? is the on screen preview just like that? or is there like a power saving setting somewhere?

Sorry if I don't make sense, I haven't slept in a couple days and this is my first DSLR so prolly not the best time to be trying to read great big manuals lol

EDIT: ALSO! I was wondering, I've never used an automatic tele converter before... But I get the basic function of it is to double the lens distance... I have a vivitar 77mm to 400mm 1:5.6 lens... Now I also have an automatic tele converter 1.5x-22... If I put them together, would it actually work, or will bad mojo strike and break something?

Last edited by gsr9987; 08-07-2010 at 09:51 AM.
08-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
you cannot do this with K10D.You need a more recent camera.
08-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
k, just making sure nothin was broken lol
08-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your camera is behaving exactly as it should. Honestly though, I would forget about preview and learn to compose, expose, and trust what you see in the viewfinder.

As to your TC question, you won't break anything if you try it for yourself.

08-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yeh, I'm sure I wont mind using the view finder once I get my contact lenses lol as for the purpose of the tele converter and the 400mm, works to a very fine point lol assuming the very loud noise at 30 second shutter speed is just the shake reduction, all is well.
08-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

For future reference, that feature is called "Live View"

just like video shooting DSLRs, live view is a relatively new capability and the two go hand in hand
08-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Aye, try to develop your trust in what you see in the viewfinder, I think for me it's quicker and helps me compose the shot.
08-08-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have trouble using cameras that have live view. I've used my cameras so long without it, now when I have to use a point and shoot camera I have a hard time composing the shot using the screen. After time you'll prefer to use viewfinder.