Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #1

K-X LENS STUCK! I survived. Defeated. Overcome!

I can't believe this actually happened to me!
I was excited today to find an older Sears lens with decent numbers. I actually scored the little 135mm lens in mint cond for $10. Of course I had to wipe the lens clean, but $10 is hard to beat for a macro lens!
I went to put it on, and "oh crap. whats happening here?". I should point out that I have already read ALL the ricoh pin threads. I have looked at the pictures. Still, in my mind there would be a large visible pin sticking out from the lens.
I am trying to save someone here some pain and suffering. Because when your prized new baby not only has a lens stuck on the front, but it also won't WORK, you PANIC!
Here is what I did. I tried a razor blade first. Too fat. Tried exacto. Too fat. I found an old tape measure that was broken. I removed a 6" long section. I then started wiggling it. I quickly realized it was leaving a yellow paint mess. Fortunately< i had a grinder handy. (Would you believe it's mounted on a shelf directly above my keyboard??? Long story) Anyways, I took the tape measure, and took some tin snips and cut a U shaped piece on the end. I then used the grinder to grind all the paint off the end (up to around an inch) and even sharpened the edges. I gently (and no so gently) wiggled it in from the bottom up towards the AF MF switch. Common reflex to me was to wiggle it the OTHER direction. Much to my surprise, it turned right off. All by myself with nothing more than a broken tape measure, grinder, and tin snips.
I then took a precision screwdriver and disassembled the new lens. Popped the pin out (piece of cake is an understatement) and reassembled it NERVOUSLY onto the camera. It then worked flawlessly. Smoother on and off.
I tested it, and it took HORRIBLE pictures, but it's late, I'm tired, and I will need to work with it to get my new lens to take clear pictures. I'll update this after I have had more time to play with it.
So, I come from the ordeal smarter, wiser, and with a new appreciation for a brass pin. I also come away from this with new knowledge that will keep me looking for these lenses. Now that I know what to look for I can avoid the situation that occurs when the pin is present.
REMEMBER: This is NOT some big pin. It more resembles a TINY TINY TINY brass ball bearing. It looks like it belongs there. I actually examined the lens for the pin BEFORE installing it. (DOUGH!!!). My point to the newbs out there is that this pin is FREAKIN MICROSCOPIC!!! REMEMBER THAT!!! Look at the other threads about this before attaching ANY old lenses.

08-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing I would be really interested in pictures of the lens and the removed pin. It would help other people as well
08-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #3

I also thank you for sharing your experience.
I also echo Andi Lo's request for a photo of the lens showing where the pin USED TO BE.
Ray
08-08-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
It happens, I'm sure you wont be the last one to experience this, glad you got it sorted relatively pain free.

08-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Thanks for sharing I would be really interested in pictures of the lens and the removed pin. It would help other people as well
QuoteOriginally posted by RayGunn Quote
I also thank you for sharing your experience.
I also echo Andi Lo's request for a photo of the lens showing where the pin USED TO BE.
Ray
Ricoh Pin Removal

08-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

As soon as you saw "Sears" you should have realized the potential problem! The brand has been mentioned a gazillion times here in relation to the Ricoh pin!

Oy.
08-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #7

Thanks for the info! As a newbie myself, I would likely have missed something so tiny, looking for something more "pin-like". Off to read all the Ricoh threads now
08-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by shimmer Quote
Thanks for the info! As a newbie myself, I would likely have missed something so tiny, looking for something more "pin-like". Off to read all the Ricoh threads now
If you buy a lens, just post it here and people will let you know if it's safe. But don't be nervous about it:

It's not a problem unless you mount one of these lenses before doing the simple fix.

08-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
If you buy a lens, just post it here and people will let you know if it's safe. But don't be nervous about it:

It's not a problem unless you mount one of these lenses before doing the simple fix.
Thanks, I'll be sure to check first!
08-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Been there, done that. LOL! One of the threads I read about getting the lens off suggested automotive feeler gauges. They work well. Took my husband about 20 minutes of fiddling with those to get the lens unstuck. I had used the lens with my K-1000 and told my husband I would sacrifice the lens if I had too. He asked me if I meant like "with a hammer" and I said no, not really-more like with the sawzall. I'm glad it didn't come to that.
08-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hey, I got that same 135mm stuck on my k200d. Didn't need anything but some earnest twisting to get it off though.
08-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #12

Original Poster
Trust me, I tried plenty of earnest twisting. To the point I feared I would accidentally crack the LCD.
You are correct, I should have checked here first. But again, I had "skimmed over" these threads earlier. The only reason I skimmed over them then was because I had just passed up on a huge lot at a flea market, and I was checking for compatibility issues before I went back the following week to see if they were still there.
I didn't pay that much attention. I was too busy trying to learn the basics of how to use my camera.
My primary intentions of this thread were to point out that the pin is TINY!!! And that it is REALLY easy to overlook even if your looking for it. Of course NOW I will never overlook one, but topics like these are never a bad thing. Too much info doesn't apply when your dealing with a subject like this.
If I can save ONE person from making the same mistake I'll feel like I accomplished something.