Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

k-7 custom setting 36 - new?

I seem to have a new custom setting, presumably it came with the latest firmware update. Certainly isnt in the manual that came with the camera.

The setting is 36 and it says - Operation when AF point is set at "SEL". There are two options

1 is "Calling Function Preference". 2 is "Select AF Point Preference".

The description for option 1 says:

"When AF point switching dial is set at "SEL", the preference is for calling shooting function.

The description for option 2 says

"When AF point switching dial is set at "SEL" the preference si for selecting AF point.

I think I know what option 2 does, but I have no idea what option 1 does.? Can someone give me a simple explanation and under what circumstances this might be useful?

Graham

08-08-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's asking you what default you want the d-pad to control

If you put it at number 1, the d-pad will act as normal, you will have to press "ok" to select your focus point when in SEL-AF

If you put it at number 2, the d pad will default to the focus point selector (when on SEL-AF) so you can quickly switch your AF point, but you'll have to press "ok" to put the d-pad back to controlling drive mode, white balance, custom colors, and flash settings

It does this because the only time the D-pad serves two functions at the same time while viewing the status screen is when you're using SEL-AF, so it gives you the option to choose which to default to

I keep it number 1 to keep it constant, if my d-pad were to suddenly switch it's default function every time I switched to SEL-AF I would be totally confused

As far as I'm aware it's been there since the start, I had my K7 since before the latest firmware update
08-08-2010, 03:20 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry - I might be being dense or pedantic but your terms aren't relating to my question. D-pad? Do you mean the AF button?

QuoteQuote:
If you put it at number 1, the d-pad will act as normal, you will have to press "ok" to select your focus point when in SEL-AF
- That seems to describe number 2 to me.

QuoteQuote:
If you put it at number 2, the d pad will default to the focus point selector (when on SEL-AF) so you can quickly switch your AF point, but you'll have to press "ok" to put the d-pad back to controlling drive mode, white balance, custom colors, and flash settings
- The AF button controls all of those fucntions? Is this right?

I am definitely missing something here.
08-08-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grayboy Quote
Sorry - I might be being dense or pedantic but your terms aren't relating to my question. D-pad? Do you mean the AF button?

- That seems to describe number 2 to me.

- The AF button controls all of those fucntions? Is this right?

I am definitely missing something here.
This function was there from the start.

D-pad is the directional pad, having the OK in the center and up-down/left-right buttons. No relation to AF button whatsoever.

future retro explained the function very clearly. Take the manual if you cannot identify the elements in question

08-08-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
future retro & kytra are correct.

Its on page 123 of the K-7 manual. (which is written based on firmware 1.00)

Flick the AF switch to "SEL"
Press the "OK" button in the centre of the 4-way controller
Now you can move the little AF point wherever you want with the directional buttons

Some people obviously thought this was too troublesome to press the OK button
so for firmware 1.01 they changed it.

custom function 36 was added

C36 = "1" same as above
C36 = "2" when you switch to AF "SEL" you dont have to press "OK" before being able to move the AF point.

Nothing to do with actual function of the AF button (that is C13 pg 120)

AF adjustment is now moved to C37
Apeture ring is now moved to C38
08-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you still don't understand then just put it at number 1 which is the stock option and forget about it

putting it at number 2 might just confuse you more which isn't what you want when you're shooting
08-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
putting it at number 2 might just confuse you more which isn't what you want when you're shooting
amen to that!

Thanks everyone, it was my misunderstanding completely - I got it into my head the custom setting was referring to the AF Button - which is what was confusing me. All makes sense now. Although - why would you want to select a different focus point? I have it on centre point, and if the point of focus is off centre I focus on my subject and then frame the shot while still holding down the shutter release. Which seems to work - or have I got this wrong as well?

08-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That is one way to do it but sometimes if you're set up on a tripod perfectly you don't have the freedom to do that, there's also a technique to focus 1/3rd the way down the frame to get maximum DOF in landscape shots so if you just have that as your selected focus point it makes things a lot easier

As long my my subject is staying still I usually use select focus weather I'm handholding or on a tripod, especially since my subject is usually framed using the rule of thirds so it's almost never in the center of the frame.

Also depending on your aperture and what lens you're using the focus can change ever so slightly when you recompose after center focusing, so using select focus just speeds up the process a little and makes sure focus is right where you want it (at least to the accuracy that AF provides)
08-09-2010, 04:21 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grayboy Quote
amen to that!

Thanks everyone, it was my misunderstanding completely - I got it into my head the custom setting was referring to the AF Button - which is what was confusing me. All makes sense now. Although - why would you want to select a different focus point? I have it on centre point, and if the point of focus is off centre I focus on my subject and then frame the shot while still holding down the shutter release. Which seems to work - or have I got this wrong as well?
Well, the issue is that when you focus and reframe, if your depth of field is narrow, you can shift your focus slightly and end up with soft photos. If you use one of the side auto focus points, it can let you shoot without reframing.

I personally use option 2. I was quite used to the K20 and K10 which allowed shifting auto focus points without hitting the OK button and I was constantly bringing up menus when I wanted to shift auto focus points.