Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

Focus like for video?

I am used to using video cameras, ( I run a small video production company) and the standard practice for ensuring focus is to use manual focus, zoom in on the subject, find your focus and then zoom out to frame up. We very rarely use autofocus. The focussing screen on our video cameras makes it easy to find focus, whereas it is very difficult to find focus on the K7. Since in video we tend not to trust autofocus, I am using the same technique for the K7 as I use with a video camera . From what I have read many people here trust autofocus and in my tests it seems to be easier. But I cant quite let go of the idea that I should be zooming in, focus and then frame up. Anybody got any thoughts as to what is best practice? I am sure there are many different situations where one or other method might be preferable. Is there a standard 'professional' practice?

Graham

08-08-2010, 03:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

As I understand it most DSLR lenses aren't constructed to retain the same focus point throughout the zoom range, so if you're zooming in and focusing that way then zoom back out to correctly frame your shot it will throw the focus off. I think video camera lenses are made to retain the same focus point throughout the zoom range though

Whenever focus is critical video or still I just use live view and zoom 10x, manual focus and spend a good 60-120 spinning the focus ring ever so slightly back and forth until I'm %100 sure I'm locked
08-08-2010, 03:25 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah thats the way video lenses work - I assumed thats the way ALL lenses work - but I was beginning to question this. Sorry - terminology gap again - you spend a good "60-120" - I'm not sure I know what you mean. Are you in Western Washington State? You on the night shift?
08-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

oops I'm sorry I meant 60-120 seconds focusing

And yes I'm from WA state, I don't sleep much unfortunately, perhaps it contributed to the typo

08-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Haha - I thought 60-120 was another bit of arcane photojargon - like 'exposing to the right', and 'f8 and be there'. I go to Seattle every now and then - do you know it?