Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #1

Where does all the dust go?

When you use the sensor shake on a Kx - where does the dust go?

Also I've got a big dust spot on photos, it is there with each lens I've got so assume it is on the sensor - but when I run the dust alert - nothing shows up on the white jpg - can anyone tell me why that may be?

Many thanks

J

08-09-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aussieflicker Quote
When you use the sensor shake on a Kx - where does the dust go?

Also I've got a big dust spot on photos, it is there with each lens I've got so assume it is on the sensor - but when I run the dust alert - nothing shows up on the white jpg - can anyone tell me why that may be?

Many thanks

J
Please do not worry here.
That dust is either on your mirror or the viewfinder glass.
It is not on the sensor.
That light path is not used for taking photo's.

Try a rocket blower to clean the mirror while you keep the camera opening downwards.

Remember, the mirror locks up when you press the shutter button, before the shutter opens.
Then the light comes through the lens directly on the sensor (which is protected by an AA filter).

If you want to know if you have dust on your sensor, do the following:
- Put your camera in Av mode.
- Set your Aperture to the smallest (highest number), i.e. f22 or so.
- Take 3 pictures of the sky.

If you see the same spots on all the pictures, you have dust on the sensor.
If you cannot see specs on the same position on all 3 photo's, you're sensor is clean.

- Have fun, Bert
08-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #3

you should empty the dust bag regularly (beside the SD card slot)
08-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
MSM
Veteran Member

If you are saying that the spot shows up on the actual file image in the same spot (for example the sky) in all of your photos despite a lens change, then yes it is a spot on the sensor.

I have not been impressed with the dust alert system on my Kx. I have found that it shows me spots that are not present in my photos and vice versa. Also, I have run the dust alert feature two or three times in a row only to get entirely different screen images as to where the dust is.

First, try to use the dust removal feature several times in a row. Then take some test shots to see if the spot is gone and not just moved. If this fails...

Put fresh batteries in the camera and use the clean sensor option. You need a rocket blower. Of course, avoid touching the sensor with anything. Have the camera face down and perform in a dry clean environment.

hope this helps.

08-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for replies - yes dust is on sensor despite not showing up on dust alert jpg. (cant see anything on sensor either (will give it a rocket blow)

But - where does the dust go when it is shaken off the sensor?
08-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
MSM
Veteran Member

They used to say that there was an adherent strip that was supposed to catch the dust. I don't know if that is still (or ever) true.
08-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
They used to say that there was an adherent strip that was supposed to catch the dust. I don't know if that is still (or ever) true.
See for example the press release for the K20D:

PENTAX News and Press Releases - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

And yeah, that isn't repeated for the K-7 or K-x, so I'm not sure if they just decided that that was boring, or else changed the system.

(Either way, dust was a major problem with my K10D and is a non-issue with my K-7.)