Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K7 having problems?

Hey.

I have not had the K7 for so long, had the k20d before that.

I am now wondering if I may have wrong settings for the camera.
Since when I have the ISO set to 200 or 400 at the most, the pictures get "dotted" (donīt know the right English word, sorry!). This is shown as raw, when I change to jpg, the image is blurry. It doesnīt matter which lens I use is it outdoor or indoor.

Here is a jpg-example.

Thanx for any tips!

08-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The word you're looking for is 'grainy'.

Try this: go into the custom functions, and set the high-iso noise-reduction threshold to 400. Then, set the high-iso noise reduction strength to 'high'. That should really help clear up your images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Hi:

I think the word you are looking for is "noise (digital grain). There should be a setting for "noise reduction" in your RAW processing software.

If the image is very underexposed then heavily lightened in processing, it can make the noise worse.
08-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HeG Quote

Here is a jpg-example.
What a dreadful image! It is not just noise, it is not focused properly, it is severely underexposed and it is extremely dull. Please do not use K-7 for such ugly imagery!

08-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What settings were you using? Because it looks like that was taken in daylight and it really shouldn't have come out that dark, the lighter the frame the less noise shows up even if you're using high ISO's. Did you accidentally bump your exposure compensation dial?

Most of my pictures taken outside in bright sun can go up to about 1600 ISO before there's any noticeable noise
08-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Shot at 1/60 @ f/14 at ISO 100.
That image is probably a couple of stops underexposed.
This isn't going to make for noiseless images.
08-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You already received some good advice. I do not think that this is noise. I processed the shot with Noiseware and it makes little difference.

I agree with Wheatfield that the shot is under-exposed and the output is weird for a daylight shot. It is also not well focused.

What lens did you use ? Did you use a lens hood ? Did you have focus confirmation (the green hexagon light) and SR on (green hand light) before shooting ?

With the K-7, and Shake Reduction (SR) on, you need 0.5-1 s for SR confirmation (the green hand light) with an AF lens. If you shoot before SR confirmation, the shot will be blurred.

See p. 32 in Instruction manual.

Hope that the suggestions will help.
08-10-2010, 04:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I would say that you can comfortably shoot with an aperture more like f8 and be OK -- f14 is over kill. Practice auto focus. Put it on center point and shoot a lot of different things. A lot of "blurry" photo problems are due to auto focus not fully locking on. Try to use good posture with shooting as well, controlling your breathing, arms at your side. Finally, if your photos are under exposing, don't hesitate to add some +EV compensation to get a better exposure -- it will help the noise considerably.