Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On-board flash lighting up randomly?

Hey, I was just wondering - while practicing/playing around with the onboard flash on my K-x, sometimes while autofocussing, the flash would randomly make a bzzt sound and light up for a half second or so. Is this normal? Thanks.

08-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes it's normal and essential to operation

the flash is assisting the autofocus, the autofocus needs a certain amount of light to work and if there isn't enough ambient life then the flash helps it along

if you're having trouble autofocusing in low light then you can even flip the flash up, press the shutter halfway down and let the flash assist do it's thing, then flip the flash back down (while still holding the shutter button halfway down) and take the picture

Last edited by future_retro; 08-09-2010 at 11:00 PM.
08-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think every Pentax DSLR except the K7 does that. The K7 has a dedicated AF assist light. The strobing flash is Highly annoying to me, especially when it freaks out the people you're taking a picture of.

08-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the AF assist lamp does not work all that well (although this could be due the AF system itself). I read on here that some people carry around a small pen light or keychain light and will use that to light up the subject when trying to AF. I have not yet tried this but heard that is works much better than the on-board AF assist.