Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why can't I get this lens to mount?

Hi, I have a Sigma Mini-Wide 1:2.8 28mm that was used with a K1000, but it doesn't seem to want to mount with my K-x... On it, it says "For Pentax-K", which I'm assuming means it's a Kmount lens? I've gotten all my other lens work my K-x without any trouble, I don't know why this one doesn't... Any help is greatly appreciated.

08-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That lens should fit. Check the mount on the lens to make sure nothing is bent/broken because there is something keeping the lens from mounting and without more information that's all the advice I can give.
08-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You could also post a photo of the lens's mount for us to see if there's anything precluding it from fitting onto the camera.
08-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Hi, I have a Sigma Mini-Wide 1:2.8 28mm that was used with a K1000, but it doesn't seem to want to mount with my K-x... On it, it says "For Pentax-K", which I'm assuming means it's a Kmount lens? I've gotten all my other lens work my K-x without any trouble, I don't know why this one doesn't... Any help is greatly appreciated.
Compare the lens to one of your other lenses (kit lens for instance). Some 3rd party lenses have an excess of material meant for other cameras surrounding the rear glass. Even though technically, the bayonet is K mount, these extra large flanges (the black part that sticks out of the back of the lens) can prevent you from turning the lens to the locked and mounted position. I know I've had a couple sears lenses that were that way. There is nothing in the K1000 to prevent one from mounting these lenses as there is on the DSLRs. The solution is to remove the material.

Welcome aboard!

08-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Post a photo of the back (mount) of the lens in question..but from just your description, it should have no problems mounting.
08-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your help so far, everyone.
Sorry I wasn't able to get pictures up until now, I've been pretty busy with school.
Attached Images

08-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #7
Inactive Account

In comparing this to my lenses, I'm not really seeing a good reason why it would not mount up. The only thing I can think of is the part that I've pointed to is sticking out too far and may need to be ground down. Wait for a more definitive response before doing so however because I am not sure.

Does it not fit the bayonet at ALL or is it that you cannot turn the lens once it is in the mount?

Attached Images

08-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

To me it doesnt look like its sticking out to much, but rather its out of place. Snapped a quick photo of a lens i have and it appears that the aperture lever and the guard have to much space between them. I dont know if my vernacular is correct but you will get the idea when you look at the picture.

The entire ring for the upper element can be replaced if you can find the proper one.

Notice on my legacy RMC Tokina glass there is no guard there and it seems the screws are all in the same place

So it would be possible if you had it in you, to grind the guard off....

Just what I would think about, but I refurbish lenses. If it were me I would look for a cheap piece of legacy glass that would have the PK mount on it that you need. Possibly one with fungus and use it for repair parts.

Last edited by j2photos; 08-21-2010 at 12:26 AM.
08-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
To me it doesnt look like its sticking out to much, but rather its out of place. Snapped a quick photo of a lens i have and it appears that the aperture lever and the guard have to much space between them. I dont know if my vernacular is correct but you will get the idea when you look at the picture.
You may be right about it not sticking out too much but I think the difference between yours and the OP's is just two different guards (whatever they are called). If you look at the 2nd photo, I don't see how that guard could possibly move in either direction.

08-21-2010, 12:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

updated my post with more photos...sorry for the delay.
08-21-2010, 05:45 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The guard is in the wrong position. It is hard to imagine how that could have occurred, but it is clear from the OP's photo. Remove the three screws holding the ring with the guard in place to see if it can be relocated. Or cut off the guard (that's what I'd do.)

Dave
08-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the lever gaurd is definitely wrong.

it starts where the gaurd ends on my K300F4.

the gaurd should go no further than about 1/8 inch past th elens locking slot / hole
08-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
The guard is in the wrong position. It is hard to imagine how that could have occurred, but it is clear from the OP's photo. Remove the three screws holding the ring with the guard in place to see if it can be relocated. Or cut off the guard (that's what I'd do.)

Dave
I had a Sigma 24mm Super-Wide that had the same exact issue. I ended up removing the three screws and the guard altogether and everything worked fine. In order to relocate it, you would have to drill and tap three new holes in the lens itself. That might be harder than just cutting the guard itself off (or just removing the ring/guard entirely).
08-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all the help, I decided to saw the guard off with a knife and it mounts perfectly now and works!
You guys have been a great help and saved me from going out and buying some new lens.
08-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Thank you for all the help, I decided to saw the guard off with a knife and it mounts perfectly now and works!
You guys have been a great help and saved me from going out and buying some new lens.
Then we've failed to do our job, which is to have you buying many many very expensive lenses...