Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 03:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Then we've failed to do our job, which is to have you buying many many very expensive lenses...

classic.

01-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I had a Sigma 24mm Super-Wide that had the same exact issue. I ended up removing the three screws and the guard altogether and everything worked fine. In order to relocate it, you would have to drill and tap three new holes in the lens itself. That might be harder than just cutting the guard itself off (or just removing the ring/guard entirely).
I'm so glad that I found this post.
Similar lens (28mm mini-wide) - same issue.
Contemplating removing the 3 screws & ring/guard (not brave enough to attempt to grind the plastic sticking out bit) - could someone please advise as to the 'purpose' of the ring, and any possible consequences to its removal?

Many thanks

Last edited by Goldens2; 01-30-2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: typo (oops!)
01-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Remove the ring/guard (the little screws), then cut the tab off. You should be able to cut the guard with most any small saw and some sandpaper to smooth it. Don't cut this while it is mounted to the lens. Don't get dust/debris into the lens. Put the ring back on. I'd think that removing the ring/guard completely would lower the resale value of the lens.
The guard is there to protect the tab that stops the aperture down. That tab could get bent if the lens is set down too hard (without the cap).
02-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #19

Great thread...I was having a similar problem...thanks!