08-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For now K-x is the latest and greatest

08-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
For now K-x is the latest and greatest
Yes of course! I suppose I was just thinking of the references to waiting for a new model in a few months.
08-16-2010, 12:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I love my K-X and would not give it up for a day. What could come out that will be a massive improvement that I would want to wait for ? VF AF points ? I don't miss them and shoot with center point all the time anyways. High ISO performance ? I don't think that would be possible since the K-X has class leading high ISO performance. Weatherproofing ? That might be a nice add but I don't see it as something that would make me want to wait. I am thinking that they will make changes to the K-7 sensor/processing that will give it the K-X high ISO performance and that will be a truly awsome camera, but I don't know if I want to pay $1000 + for it just yet, which is what a new release would be, when I think my K-X is perfect just the way it is. Just my 2 cents.
08-27-2010, 06:19 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, yesterday (10 days after I started this thread) I encountered a thread about the K-r, comparing to the K-x and etc.

I suppose information was leaked (there's been no official Pentax information). What was the source of the leak?

Is the K-r a replacement for the K-x or are they going to be offered simultaneously for a while?

08-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #20

I was debating the same issue as well, my friend asked me if its a good time to buy the k-x now. I did hesitate to answer since there are rumors that a newer model would arrive soon. But getting a lot if valid points from threads above that the k-x is actually at a very bargain price now. A DSLR under $500 with this kind of performance, why not ?
08-28-2010, 11:02 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If anything, don't even think about returning your K-x. I'm sure this model will be a true legend a few years in advance, and you won't have any troubles selling the body later if you feel like it. The combo of AA batteries + K-mount + great high ISO quality is just too appealing for it's price tag, making it relevant for a long time.
08-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with most of the others here... it's a great little camera that you can use for many years to come. And it sounds like you got a good price for it too.
08-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
I saw in a thread a couple days ago (rumor has it?) that Pentax is expected to release new cameras in a matter of a month or two. I have been researching my step up from my almost 7 year old P&S for over two years and finally bought a K-x (2 lens kit including the 55-300mm) at Amazon on July 18, which is 24 days ago. I just looked up the seller's return policy and it's 30 days. I'd have to pay shipping both ways (it was shipped free, but on a return they ding you for the initial shipping, evidently).

I'm not one to dabble in try/return, but in this instance I wonder if I should do it. In my researching I was aware of issues with the K-x and shortcomings rued by buyers/reviewers/etc. I could return the K-x, take a hit on shipping, possibly buy the K-x's replacement (assuming that's among the next Pentax releases), and probably (?) get a better, more full featured camera (I assume that it will feature AF points in the viewfinder, among other things). I paid $719.99 for my two lens kit.

I don't figure to upgrade my camera body any time soon. In fact, I may never, but who knows. I'm not going to miss having a DSLR for a couple of months.

What do you think? Would you return the K-x and then buy its replacement?
Regardless of what ever short comings the K-x might have (I don't own one so I can't comment) any camera you have is so far superior than the film cameras of yester-year that if you use it, even for 1-2 years, it will have paid for itself in just the savings in processing.

there will always be new cameras, and anything you get today will be either obsolete or available cheaper in 1-2 months (give or take). You can go completely nuts trying to ride the leading edge of what ever camera you have, or spend your time and money building a system. When you out grow the K-x (or have worn out the shutter) there will be an even newer and more advanced camera for you to get. you don't need to sweat about making every step the camera company takes, and if you spent this long justifying the k-x you probably can't afford to any way

08-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
If anything, don't even think about returning your K-x. I'm sure this model will be a true legend a few years in advance, and you won't have any troubles selling the body later if you feel like it. The combo of AA batteries + K-mount + great high ISO quality is just too appealing for it's price tag, making it relevant for a long time.
I truly love the AA battery feature. I much prefer them to Li-ion's. The K-mount strikes me as absolutely great for the backward compatibility and the high ISO strikes me as a super reason to love the K-x. Really, I researched for over two years before realizing what was right for me.
09-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #25
Veteran Member

k-x is a great camera. I love mine! it even shoots video! most others do not at this price level.
09-03-2010, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #26
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I too love my Kx. All the rumors out there regarding the new models spurns the same discussions of buy now or wait. This got me to thinking of my own buying habits regarding electronic purchases.

My thought on buying camera bodies is to find the camera(s) in a line that meets your needs. Buy the one that is the cheapest. I usually wait until the middle to end of the product cycle when the pricing is the best. Usually when the rumors of the new models start to come out. Early adopters always get slaughtered with price. Granted, that is more time with a new camera. But, it seems that you should at least wait until the first firmware update release.

Obviously the hard part is knowing what your needs are -truthfully. Do you really need the camera to be weather sealed, for example? My initial gut reaction is 'Of course!' But my own experience with the K10D and ~2.5 years said 'No.' No right or wrong answers here. I am just stating that it is easy to let the needs of others on this board and others leak over into your psyche and convince you that you NEED xyz feature only on the newer more expensive model.

In my case, both the Kx and the K7 easily met my needs given my experience with the K10D and style of photography. The Kx was cheaper...end of story. Many people put too many emotional attachments to an item they know (or should know) they will trade/sell long before the end of the product's life. My own experience tells me that I will own a new/second camera in the next 3 years or sooner. Why lose sleep? Now for my thought on lenses.....