Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New models coming soon. Return recently bought K-x?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I saw in a thread a couple days ago (rumor has it?) that Pentax is expected to release new cameras in a matter of a month or two. I have been researching my step up from my almost 7 year old P&S for over two years and finally bought a K-x (2 lens kit including the 55-300mm) at Amazon on July 18, which is 24 days ago. I just looked up the seller's return policy and it's 30 days. I'd have to pay shipping both ways (it was shipped free, but on a return they ding you for the initial shipping, evidently).

I'm not one to dabble in try/return, but in this instance I wonder if I should do it. In my researching I was aware of issues with the K-x and shortcomings rued by buyers/reviewers/etc. I could return the K-x, take a hit on shipping, possibly buy the K-x's replacement (assuming that's among the next Pentax releases), and probably (?) get a better, more full featured camera (I assume that it will feature AF points in the viewfinder, among other things). I paid $719.99 for my two lens kit.

I don't figure to upgrade my camera body any time soon. In fact, I may never, but who knows. I'm not going to miss having a DSLR for a couple of months.

What do you think? Would you return the K-x and then buy its replacement?

08-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Why??
08-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The K-x is still an awesome camera, regardless of what comes out next. It's easy to get caught in a perpetual waiting-for-the-next-shiny-thing cycle--I'd stick with your K-x and see what kind of reviews/pricing the new models get. You can count on them being more expensive and having at least some drawbacks that will make you reconsider. :P
08-11-2010, 06:42 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
The K-x is still an awesome camera, regardless of what comes out next. It's easy to get caught in a perpetual waiting-for-the-next-shiny-thing cycle--I'd stick with your K-x and see what kind of reviews/pricing the new models get. You can count on them being more expensive and having at least some drawbacks that will make you reconsider. :P
Yup, I figure I should stand pat. I thought I'd post my concern, though. I did wake up in the night and that's when I got the idea. Thanks for the perspective and reassurances.

-New K-x owner-

08-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #5

Congrats on your new kx, don't forget your lens hood if you have the DA L version.

58mm Lens Hood for Pentax PH-RBG DA 55-300 mm F4-5.8 ED - eBay (item 260635744933 end time Aug-14-10 02:04:35 PDT)
08-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Good choice sticking with what you've got, the K-x is a fine camera. Odds are the announcement will be either for a K-7 replacement, or a model between the K-7 and K-x (possibly both of these), but likely Not a K-x replacement. Pentax usually runs with a 2 model lineup (K200d was the only exception to this in their DSLR sales history), and usually on about an 18 month cycle, meaning the K-x replacement most likely won't be until the middle of next year (it has only been on the market for 10 months, and has probably been their best selling camera in the dslr era).
08-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And if you do ever decide you want to upgrade to whatever is going to be released you can sell the Kx (body alone, with one lens or with 2 lenses) on here and get a good chunk of your money back.

08-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you like the Kx just stand strong. Even if a newer version comes out it's not going to be light years ahead of what you have now.
08-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Camgen Quote
Congrats on your new kx, don't forget your lens hood if you have the DA L version.

58mm Lens Hood for Pentax PH-RBG DA 55-300 mm F4-5.8 ED - eBay (item 260635744933 end time Aug-14-10 02:04:35 PDT)
Thanks. I have that very hood, also one for my 18-55mm kit lens. Got an Op/Tech Pro strap too, which I adapted to make it a literal snap to remove/replace from/to the camera. I sewed little loops onto the camera's left/right lugs and wrapped the strap ends around a couple of little spring loaded gizmos I found in a key & lock store. I'll snap a picture and post it in a few minutes. I designed this system, and of course I was concerned about the security of it, but I'm pretty confident it won't fail me. I was concerned about that strap being on the camera all the time and I knew I'd dislike removing the strap in the conventional fashion.

fox302.com - Free File Hosting

Last edited by Muse; 08-12-2010 at 05:44 AM.
08-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That's a great idea!
Just make sure that those loopy things are really sewn secure and it won't unravel!
08-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
I saw in a thread a couple days ago (rumor has it?) that Pentax is expected to release new cameras in a matter of a month or two. I have been researching my step up from my almost 7 year old P&S for over two years and finally bought a K-x (2 lens kit including the 55-300mm) at Amazon on July 18, which is 24 days ago. I just looked up the seller's return policy and it's 30 days. I'd have to pay shipping both ways (it was shipped free, but on a return they ding you for the initial shipping, evidently).

I'm not one to dabble in try/return, but in this instance I wonder if I should do it. In my researching I was aware of issues with the K-x and shortcomings rued by buyers/reviewers/etc. I could return the K-x, take a hit on shipping, possibly buy the K-x's replacement (assuming that's among the next Pentax releases), and probably (?) get a better, more full featured camera (I assume that it will feature AF points in the viewfinder, among other things). I paid $719.99 for my two lens kit.

I don't figure to upgrade my camera body any time soon. In fact, I may never, but who knows. I'm not going to miss having a DSLR for a couple of months.

What do you think? Would you return the K-x and then buy its replacement?
That's a really good price. The best I have been able to find is $799. Was that price for the US model?

I am hoping to order one this weekend, that difference would get me a nice case too!
08-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
That's a great idea!
Just make sure that those loopy things are really sewn secure and it won't unravel!
Thank you! I sewed them quite well, with thick polyester thread, many many stitches, needle and thread. Couldn't use my sewing machine, not possible.
08-14-2010, 12:47 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob photo 4 life Quote
That's a really good price. The best I have been able to find is $799. Was that price for the US model?

I am hoping to order one this weekend, that difference would get me a nice case too!
Last I looked they'd jacked up the price $20 to $739.99. Funny thing is I had it in my cart at $699.99, had almost decided but hadn't pulled the trigger, came back a few hours later and the price had gone up $20. I decided to buy anyway.

Looking now, it's jacked to $810.89! Yipes! A couple of days ago it was $739.99, oh well. The page said there were only 5 left, then 4 a day or so later. Maybe it will drop down again. Yes, it was the USA model. The Amazon seller was Portable Guy. Looks like if you buy it now at Amazon it's through them, not this Portable Guy party. I'd keep my eyes open. The prices seem to fluctuate and you could find it way cheaper all of a sudden. The kit I got was $849.99 at Amazon just a week or so before I bought and I checked one day and it was $699.99 and through Portable Guy. Stayed like that for at least 3 days, and I hesitated, snagged it when it jumped $20 and figured I was making out fine.
08-14-2010, 01:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I replaced my K200d (excellent camera!) with a K-x kit (bought with 18-55 and 55-300 for $660 from BH in May) because I wanted better ISO performance, and the price of the package seemed irresistible. That being said, I don't think this kind of luck will repeat itself many times in the future. So, I guess, my K-x will be my photo companion for quite a while...

If you want to wait for a new model, be prepared to pay the price of a new model. Otherwise, supposing you decide to buy the future K-x replacement but don't have the money, you'll have to wait for a few months, and then rumors concerning another model, with even more spectacular specs, will show up on the web. (Another thing: the announced specs of a new model tend to look much better than those of the replaced models due to online frenzy, but in reality they really aren't so much better. For instance, K-x is lighter and has better ISO than K200d, but the latter is weather sealed and it's know for superb low ISO--punchy--output.)
08-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
Forum Member

Muse, thanks for the info, I will watch closely for a while.

causey, I'm not one that has to have the latest and greatest, the K-x will be fine for me.