Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
Hello everybody! (I'll introduce myself later when I've got more time)

I bought a KMZ Helios 44k-4 off ebay the other day for my K50 and mounted it yesterday.

I've just got one tiny question, and I'm not entirely sure how I shall word it..
:The lens' aperture lever only can be moved if I turn the ring, and not if you try to move the lever. (I suppose this is normal)
But it got me wondering, as I think the lever adjusts the aperture on the kit lens? So when I adjust the aperture by twisting the ring on the lens, am I somehow putting strain on any mechanical parts of the K50?
I think it's obvious that a manual lens' aperture can't be adjusted through the camera itself, but the linkage to the lever must still be there?

I thought I'd rather just ask in this thread than create a new one of it's own, and I hope someone will know what I'm talking about, I'm really not very good at explaining myself...

Edit: I'm talking about this lever here (picture stolen from another thread)

Thanks a lot!
The lever holds the aperture open, and the aperture is spring loaded to close when you stop down.

When the aperture ring is set to maximum aperture it is held in the full open position by the aperture ring and mechanism

The camera would also try to hold the aperture in this position when mounted and you are focusing.

The camera takes its lever away when shooting to allow the lens to stop down.

There is no stress on the camera this is how all lenses work

02-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #212
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The lever holds the aperture open, and the aperture is spring loaded to close when you stop down.

When the aperture ring is set to maximum aperture it is held in the full open position by the aperture ring and mechanism

The camera would also try to hold the aperture in this position when mounted and you are focusing.

The camera takes its lever away when shooting to allow the lens to stop down.

There is no stress on the camera this is how all lenses work
Thanks a lot for this explanation!
I have never really bothered to learn about the mechanics of cameras yet, and finding just the exact info you're after with google searches is sometimes a bit tricky.

Now I understand and interpret this right, turning the aperture ring during filming also doesn't pose any issues at all, correct?

I think I'll need to find a book on camera mechanics now..
02-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #213
Pentaxian

I have never really bothered to learn about the mechanics of cameras yet, and finding just the exact info you're after with google searches is sometimes a bit tricky.

Now I understand and interpret this right, turning the aperture ring during filming also doesn't pose any issues at all, correct?

You are correct on all counts. The way to learn is to simply play with the lenses a but to understand them. Most makers are similar except canon who have always been different than the rest
02-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #214

It would be helpful for you to read the info at the following link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

There is everything you need to know about using manual lenses on Pentax digital cameras!

02-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #215
Pentaxian

Revisiting the "metering doesn't work well for m42 lenses in Av mode using stop-down metering NOT in live view". Just realized from another discussion about the canon s-type focusing screen that this screen does supposedly make the metering much more consistent all-around, and although I've not done any tests, I've had such a screen in my K-5 for a long time -- in fact it was because I was getting into using manual lenses that I bought one (and I didn't have any fast lenses before that either -- just the 18-250 superzoom). So just realizing almost my entire m42 experience I've had that screen in there. Maybe that is why I have no such troubles with m42 metering? Not promising, I've done no controlled tests with different screens, and actually forgot all about the supposed metering benefits of that screen, but it is one of the reasons I bought one. And I like it so much I actually have another brand new one (s-screen) sitting here waiting to be put on the K-3 which I haven't even bought yet -- even without any metering benefit, the s-screen does make manual focusing much much nicer although slower lenses become darker...
04-05-2014, 04:52 AM   #216

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Manual/Takumar/M42 Screwmount lenses on Pentax DSLRs

I've written two articles on how to use Manual K-mount M & K series / Takumar / M42 Screwmount lenses on Pentax DSLRs, as well as how to meter.

How to use Screwmount/Takumar lenses on Pentax DSLRs (K-7, K-x, etc.)

Manual Metering on Pentax DSLRs with Manual and Automatic Lenses

There is now also a tutorial video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUE0aQBy2D4

In a nutshell:

First, if your camera won't fire, set "Allow aperture setting other than A" to 2 (allowed) in the custom function menu. Then:

1. Set your camera to M mode using the mode dial (your camera won't fire in other modes*)
  2. Compose and focus your image.
  3. Using the aperture ring (the ring at the very back of your lens; it will have numbers such as 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8 written on it), select your desired aperture setting. Note that the smaller the aperture number is, the more light passes through the lens, and the blurrier the out of focus areas of your photograph will be.
  4. [Screwmount lenses only] Switch the diaphragm clutch on your lens to "Manual" (you can leave it on Auto when composing and focusing).
  5. Measure the light by either pressing the "Green Button", or pushing your power button to DOF preview mode (only available on select bodies). Your camera will automatically set the shutter speed for you.
All that's left now is for you to press the shutter release button to take your photo. Congratulations- you've now learned how to use M42 and M & K manual lenses with Pentax DSLRs!

*Screwmount lenses may also be used in Av mode since they are always stopped down to the aperture you will be shooting at (unlike M&K lenses, which are stopped down only when the shutter is released or when you meter as described above).

Need a M42 adapter? Pentax's adapter allows your lenses to focus to infinity and is readily available:
Pentax Mount Adapter K 30120 B&H Photo Video

You may also find our older discussion thread on this topic very helpful: Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com
An occasional issue with late Takumar lenses: Why is the Auto/Man diaphragm clutch stuck on my S-M-C Takumar lens?

If your manual focus lens has an "A" setting on the aperture ring, leave it in "A" and instead use the e-dials on your camera to control the shutter speed and aperture. Don't follow the steps above.
Newcomer, what a lovely website. My prejudices have eased me back to Pentax when I had almost shifted elsewhere. I have a K7, and am waiting for my K3. I'd heard about using older lenses. I have picked up a k55, 1.8 - gosh it feels like new.
I was horrified at first as it would not do anything. But, came back to your website and hey presto, I have got some basic shots, but the quality is absolutely amazing.
The only thing, I have not managed to get the camera to do is to change shutter speed according to my f stop. I will ponder further. I have changed the button to work on shutter speed, I think........
Many thanks, will persevere further.
Gerald II
04-05-2014, 06:39 AM   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerald2 Quote
Newcomer, what a lovely website. My prejudices have eased me back to Pentax when I had almost shifted elsewhere. I have a K7, and am waiting for my K3. I'd heard about using older lenses. I have picked up a k55, 1.8 - gosh it feels like new.
I was horrified at first as it would not do anything. But, came back to your website and hey presto, I have got some basic shots, but the quality is absolutely amazing.
The only thing, I have not managed to get the camera to do is to change shutter speed according to my f stop. I will ponder further. I have changed the button to work on shutter speed, I think........
Many thanks, will persevere further.
Gerald II
Camera mode should be "M".

Green button should be set to "Tv Shift" (there is a menu somewhere to set that)

Set your ISO manually.

Set your aperture on lens with the aperture ring.

Compose your shot and hit the green button -- it should now stop down the lens to the aperture selected on the lens (for just a second) and adjust the shutter speed.

Fire the shutter to take the shot -- the shutter speed setting will remain until you hit green button again (so if under same light and using same aperture you don't have to do it every time) -- you can adjust shutter speed manually with the wheel of course also...
04-06-2014, 01:45 AM   #218

Many thanks for your reply, I have spent some more time with the camera. The only way, I have found to make it work was by setting in the c menu to 'Tv Shift', then using the control dial setting to TAv (not entirely sure of this function, speed and aperture). Set the ISO, 'like the old days'. However, just for me did not work on M. Am I missing something? Best regards, Gerald.

04-06-2014, 01:55 AM   #219
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Many thanks for your reply, I have spent some more time with the camera. The only way, I have found to make it work was by setting in the c menu to 'Tv Shift', then using the control dial setting to TAv (not entirely sure of this function, speed and aperture). Set the ISO, 'like the old days'. However, just for me did not work on M. Am I missing something? Best regards, Gerald.
TAv is basically M with auto ISO. However, since the camera can't control the aperture itself, the metering will most likely be off. You have to be in M mode for manual K-mount lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-06-2014, 02:32 AM   #220

Puzzled

I have it set to TAv, what seems to happen is that when I set the ISO manually, it automatically finds T, the speed. The pictures come out perfect.
If, I leave it on M, the button works, but the results are blank. For whatever reason, this seems the only way that it works.
Can you give me a link to find other quality lenses? I am interested in zoom as a casual tourist. I like to take photos of wildlife e.g. flying birds.
Also, an intermediate lens 135mm for portraiture. Again, the 55mm 1.8 was a great discovery and seems for whatever reason works best at TAv; it would
be nice to know why it works in this mode and not M.
Many thanks,
Gerald.
04-06-2014, 02:42 AM   #221
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I have it set to TAv, what seems to happen is that when I set the ISO manually, it automatically finds T, the speed. The pictures come out perfect.
If, I leave it on M, the button works, but the results are blank. For whatever reason, this seems the only way that it works.
Can you give me a link to find other quality lenses? I am interested in zoom as a casual tourist. I like to take photos of wildlife e.g. flying birds.
Also, an intermediate lens 135mm for portraiture. Again, the 55mm 1.8 was a great discovery and seems for whatever reason works best at TAv; it would
be nice to know why it works in this mode and not M.
Many thanks,
Gerald.
Can you post some sample pics straight out of the camera (use our attachment system)? Looking at the exif will help us figure out what's wrong.

Also, I'd recommend starting a new thread on your issue in the troubleshooting forum instead of using this thread.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #222

K55mm 1.8 set up for K7

Apologies, if you have already received this. I have added photos both set at M and TAv.
The first three interior photos are all set at M on the dial
The reminder are TAv, the camera automatically changed its speed and exposure as I selected a different aperture.
Best regards

Arvo
(Gerald2)
Attached Images

04-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #223

Thanks so much

These new cameras seem to have a million settings and if you don't have hours and hours to learn things you would never figure them out! So simple when you know how!
Thanks, I was worried that my old lens I love might be useless, now I can use it to my hearts content!
04-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #224

QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry D Quote
These new cameras seem to have a million settings and if you don't have hours and hours to learn things you would never figure them out! So simple when you know how!
Thanks, I was worried that my old lens I love might be useless, now I can use it to my hearts content!
Hi Jerry, what you say in your reply, is so very true. I am afraid, I am still not out of the wilderness. I have not yet mastered the use of the old lens, but I may be getting nearer. The above photos are quite dreadful. What Adam said, I now believe is quite correct. I have just discovered the 'green button'. If, I set the ISO, then select M, I must follow it by pressing the 'green button'. It works better than before, perhaps even perfectly. Sorry, for having misguided anyone. It is as you say, you need to spend hours getting acquainted. I am working towards it.

Furthermore, I am still finding my way around the forum. Apologies to anyone, if I slip up with etiquette. I am a lot clumsy at things at the moment. Down to new camera, an old lens and being in a forum, and not having enough time to do all these things at the moment.

Best regards
05-22-2014, 02:35 AM   #225

K 500 and manual lenses

I've read quite few posts and looked up info both on this site and others - followed instructions etc, but am a bit confused - mainly as I have not found the TV shift option that is referred to, when setting up camera for manual lenses - either under E dial programming ( it's not on page 2) or under button customisation. - Am I being incredibly thick?

Yes I can take shots with my M lens if I press the green button when totally manual, terrible shots if I leave it on AV. But presume that I must be missing something out somewhere.

Any advice would be welcome - K -500

(I presume that with an A lens the above is not necessary?)

Thanks
Closed Thread