Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #241
Pentaxian

I am not against having experience and shooting any way you prefer! Again, this is a instructional thread about HOW TO GET CERTAIN FUNCTIONS TO WORK ON THE CAMERA, not a place for poo-pooing those functions on philosophical grounds! So given that, saying (in essence) "don't worry about how to use that function, just don't use it" is not particularly helpful or relevant...

05-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #242
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
ust don't use it" is not particularly helpful or relevant...
I never said don't use it. I said it can be done without using the green button. If it works for others, then they should use it. But my statement to you was it isn't always the way to go, bend a little, not every statement is meant to be honored as set in stone.

But, StrasburgBarry, you shouldn't be telling people not to use screwmount lenses just because you don't.
05-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #243
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I never said don't use it. I said it can be done without using the green button.
WHAT can be done without it? Not using the meter. Yes, of course the shutter can be tripped without using the green button, but you're saying guesstimate your settings and set them all manually, right? And again, that is a totally fine and cool way to work, just not relevant in a thread for beginners to using manual lenses about HOW TO GET THE CAMERA TO DO IT FOR YOU. Do you see what I'm saying? (Just like if the thread were "Tips for getting the best results from autofocus" and someone posted "You don't have to use autofocus -- just manual focus!" Ok fine, but...) The whole point is to explain which functions do and do not work in which modes with manual lenses, exceptions to the way they usually work with modern lenses, etc etc. If you never use the meter anyway, and never take the camera off M mode, then whether or not you're using a manual lens makes no difference...
05-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #244

Photos: Albums
WHAT can be done without it? Not using the meter. Yes, of course the shutter can be tripped without using the green button, but you're saying guesstimate your settings and set them all manually, right? And again, that is a totally fine and cool way to work, just not relevant in a thread for beginners to using manual lenses about HOW TO GET THE CAMERA TO DO IT FOR YOU. Do you see what I'm saying? (Just like if the thread were "Tips for getting the best results from autofocus" and someone posted "You don't have to use autofocus -- just manual focus!" Ok fine, but...) The whole point is to explain which functions do and do not work in which modes with manual lenses, exceptions to the way they usually work with modern lenses, etc etc. If you never use the meter anyway, and never take the camera off M mode, then whether or not you're using a manual lens makes no difference...
Take a breath and chill. photolady95 has answered your question. After gaining a lot of experience, especially when using the same conditions, some settings become second nature for some people. While they may not be as accurate as a light meter, the results can be instantly reviewed and tweaks made if needed.

It's time to move on.

05-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #245

I didn't recommend not using screw mount lenses, I just said they were much more difficult and limited in their functions than fully automatic, bayonet mounted lenses.
05-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #246
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And again, that is a totally fine and cool way to work, just not relevant in a thread for beginners to using manual lenses about HOW TO GET THE CAMERA TO DO IT FOR YOU. Do you see what I'm saying?
I'm not sure I understand why you're upset about her discussing this in this thread when you're the one that told her elaborate on a simple, passing comment.

I am sure it's time for everyone to just let this drop. If you like screw mount lenses, use them; if you don't, don't.
05-22-2014, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #247
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StrasburgBarry Quote
I didn't recommend not using screw mount lenses,
Um, actually you did.

QuoteOriginally posted by StrasburgBarry Quote
So, my recommendation over a long time of experience of working with screw mount adapted to bayonet mount or non-auto bayonet mount lenses, is to avoid their use unless you absolutely have to.
We're done here.
Closed Thread