Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tantrix Quote
Thanks for the message.. What place do you recommend to get them used? I've been looking on ebay...
Check out the Marketplace here at Pentax Forums.

The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com

What I would do is just check everyday & see what's there.
Then send off a PM to the seller & tell him you're interested. Don't feel rushed is the big thing.

My 1st lenses purchase was a really nice 28mm f/2.8. Only problem was that it only fits a Minolta. $75 down the drain and that ebay seller was not even hearing my sad ass story.

05-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #47

Okay, maybe there’s something I have to set or adjust that’s not covered in this thread, or maybe I’m incredibly thick. Or maybe both. Here’s what I’ve done, with a 50mm f/1.7 mounted on my K10D:

1. In Custom function, set "Allow aperture setting other than A" to 2 (allowed).
2. Set the camera to M mode.
3. Select the desired aperture using the lens aperture ring.
4. Press the "Green Button". At this point, there’s a sort of “shunk” sound and the display shows a shutter speed that seems to make sense given the f-stop I’ve selected. (The ISO in the display seems a bit wacky though – something like 1599.)
5. Press the shutter button. Result – occasionally, it will fire, but 90% of the time, absolutely nothing happens.

What am I missing? Or is there a setting or function somewhere that’s counter-acting my attempt to get this manual lens to function?
05-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may have AF and 'catch in focus' enabled.
This prevents the shutter from tripping until the in focus indicator lights up.
Not sure where in the menu it is on the k10d to turn it off but that's what I would guess.
Also switch the body to manual focus and it will ignore the catch in focus settings I believe.
05-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Relic Quote
Okay, maybe there’s something I have to set or adjust that’s not covered in this thread, or maybe I’m incredibly thick. Or maybe both. Here’s what I’ve done, with a 50mm f/1.7 mounted on my K10D:

1. In Custom function, set "Allow aperture setting other than A" to 2 (allowed).
2. Set the camera to M mode.
3. Select the desired aperture using the lens aperture ring.
4. Press the "Green Button". At this point, there’s a sort of “shunk” sound and the display shows a shutter speed that seems to make sense given the f-stop I’ve selected. (The ISO in the display seems a bit wacky though – something like 1599.)
5. Press the shutter button. Result – occasionally, it will fire, but 90% of the time, absolutely nothing happens.

What am I missing? Or is there a setting or function somewhere that’s counter-acting my attempt to get this manual lens to function?
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
You may have AF and 'catch in focus' enabled.
This prevents the shutter from tripping until the in focus indicator lights up.
Not sure where in the menu it is on the k10d to turn it off but that's what I would guess.
Also switch the body to manual focus and it will ignore the catch in focus settings I believe.
change the AF focus switch from S (Single) to C (Continuous) or M(Manual) In single the camera will not continually search and adjust focus, but if the subject moves out of focus, the shutter will not trip. This will serve as a good training for your focusing skills, but usually your aperture setting is good enough to gaurantee acceptably sharp photos even if you are off a little, and a slightly less sharp photo is much much better than none at all

05-16-2011, 02:51 AM   #50

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks very much guys.
05-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #51
Site Supporter

I'm new to M42 and loving it.
The problem I'm having is with a lens that lacks the auto/manual switch.
Is there a way to get it to close down once it's mounted, or will it need to be modified in some way?
05-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #52

Photos: Gallery
Hoping that works

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
change the AF focus switch from S (Single) to C (Continuous) or M(Manual) In single the camera will not continually search and adjust focus, but if the subject moves out of focus, the shutter will not trip. This will serve as a good training for your focusing skills, but usually your aperture setting is good enough to gaurantee acceptably sharp photos even if you are off a little, and a slightly less sharp photo is much much better than none at all
Wow, could be just the advice I was looking for. I just need to wait to get home and try it on my camera. I got two new lenses today, both in China, but both K mount lenses. One is the Phenix 50mm F1.7, the other a Phenix 70mm-210mm. They both fit on the camera great. I was having a problem with the telephoto lens in that the shutter wasn't releasing. This seemed to take place immediately after attempting to get a meter reading using the green button. I followed all the directions here for using manual lenses - set the aperture ring setting to "permitted," input the focal length of the lens, used M mode, and sometimes it would also work in Aperture priority mode. Usually it would take the first one or two photos no problem, but then after that it was like the shutter was sticking and not completely closing and releasing. I think it might be my focus settings (keeping my fingers crossed). Will definitely try when I get back home. Hopefully somebody can help if that isn't the issue.

05-31-2011, 02:55 AM   #53

Oh God, what now?

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
So, I came home and tried it - switching into the different focus modes does NOT solve the problem. I can take a few shots successfully (sometimes just one), and then the shutter seems to get stuck and will not snap a photo. I've even had it get stuck to the point that with any button I press, or dial I turn on my camera - it creates a shutter noise. Either something is really wrong with this mount, or .....(not sure how to finish that thought). Attached are some photos of the lens/mount for any who may be able to give me some advice on this. I really have followed all the directions in setting up my camera to work with manual lenses. The other lens I purchased from the same shop (50mm F1.7) works fine - no problems. Both mounts to me look identical. The only major difference I see is that with the 70mm-210mm lens - the aperture lever does stick out quite a long way. Talking with the shop is a little pointless since they are Chinese. My wife (Chinese) has been trying to help me, but it hasn't been too successful.

Attachment 93225

Attachment 93226

Attachment 93227

Last edited by slr_neophyte; 12-14-2012 at 08:54 PM.
05-31-2011, 08:09 AM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
I'm new to M42 and loving it.
The problem I'm having is with a lens that lacks the auto/manual switch.
Is there a way to get it to close down once it's mounted, or will it need to be modified in some way?
A bit of googling has found me this solution.

Does anyone know where to find an adapter with a flange that holds the aperture pin down?
Like this one, hopefully it would still allow infinity focus.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
05-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #55

I have both a K20D and a K5. I have one manual lens, a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4.

When I put that on my K20D, I can choose the aperture on the lens ring and when I shoot, the aperture will close to the preset size.

However, the K5 doesn't do it - it leaves it always full open at 1.4, which isn't what I want. Is that a new "feature" of the K5 or may there be a setting I haven't set right?
05-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #56
Veteran Member

The only things you should need to set are the same things you would have had to set on the K20D - the "Use Aperture Ring" option in the menu, and be sure to be in M mode.
06-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #57

Thanks Marc, that helped. I had the mode dial set to P - that's why the K5 didn't close the aperture.
However, on the K20D I _also_ used P.

The odd thing is that in P mode, the K5 leaves the aperture open, while the K20 closes it briefly when shooting. I can see that when I look into the lens when I shoot. But now I double checked and found that the K20 still exposes with the aperture fully open, because when I check the exposure settings of the taken picture, they do not change no matter which aperture I choose. So, while it _appears_ as if the K20 would take the pics with closed aperture, it doesn't. I had expected it would close the aperture and then measure the incoming light to calculate the exposure, then flip the mirror up and expose. Obviously, this isn't happening.

Still, why does the K20 then close the aperture briefly, even if that has no effect on the picture? I guess it's a construction shortcoming that got solved in the K5 then?

Anyhow - what we have to remember is that while the cameras can take pictures with manual lenses in non-M mode, only M mode will allow us to choose apertures other than wide open. Maybe you could point out this detail in your first post? (It's actually in error because it says there: "Set your camera to M mode using the mode dial (your camera won't fire in other modes*)" - but it does fire in any mode with my K20 and K5. That's why I didn't observe the M rule at first, because it wasn't correct).
06-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #58
Site Supporter

A bit of googling has found me this solution.

Does anyone know where to find an adapter with a flange that holds the aperture pin down?
Like this one, hopefully it would still allow infinity focus.
No comments?
Should I give up on M42?
06-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Not sure, But maybe try Post In Lenses Forum

No comments?
Should I give up on M42?
You might want to post a the picture of the adapter you're looking for here: Pentax SLR Lens Discussion - PentaxForums.com

It might get an answer, but I'm not sure.
07-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #60
Veteran Member

First post so please excuse the ignorance and probably the fact that this has been brought up already but I picked up the Pentax habit from my parents and shoot with film SLRs (P30t and ZX30). Love them both and have gotten pretty good at using them but now ready to jump beyond the film SLR. I have a Canon (bad word, I know) Powershot S2 IS that I have started using more than the SLRs so its time for me to jump up to a DSLR. The ability to judge instantly whether it was a good shot or not has become too good to resist. So, I have a few different lenses that I use (80-200, 50mm which is my favorite walk around, and a 70-300) on my SLRs and even though they are AF capable, I use manual focus only.

So, here is the question: I am looking to pick up a K100D Super, K200D or a K10D and will the lenses I have work with the DSLR body? Im looking at those three because I will be looking in the used market as they will be more in my price range. I just want to make sure that the lenses that I currently have will work on these new(ish) DSLRs without any issues. Thanks.
Closed Thread