Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I often think of it as "manually assisted Av mode". You still have the option of setting shutter speed yourself with the dial, spinning until the meter reads 0. The button just automates the process. But whether you set shutter speed with the dial or the button, it stays set until you change it - hence, it is still manual.

11-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #92

Browsed this whole thread and couldn't find what I'm having an issue with. I have a 50mm 1.7 that I just received from another member here - great lens, but that tab that moves when the aperture is adjusted seems to be causing the blades to jump back to 1.7 once I mount the lens 100%. If I turn the lens to maybe 80% mounted (doesn't fully engage and "click") I am able to fully adjust the aperture and see the blades move. But as soon as I fully engage the lens to the body the aperture immediately jumps back to 1.7 even if I have it stopped to f/22. The aperture ring is NOT adjusting when this occurs, it's just the blades being opened up all the way which I suspect is that tab getting pushed aside by the body because I see it moving along with aperture #'s when the lens is off the body. Is there a fix for this so I can have the lens fully engaged and still have full control of my aperture?
11-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jd1972 Quote
Browsed this whole thread and couldn't find what I'm having an issue with. I have a 50mm 1.7 that I just received from another member here
Which 50/1.7? M (or K) or A? If it's K or M, you need to be in M(anual) mode and use the Green button to stop down for metering and exposure. If it's A, you need to set the aperture ring to the A setting.
11-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #94

It's the M. The camera works fine - pics look great, but as I suspected that tab is getting lodged against an internal piece of the body once the lens is fully engaged. This puts the aperture at 1.7 regardless of the stop prior to fully engaging the lens. So basically if I engage the lens fully I'm stuck at 1.7 no matter what, but as I stated if I engage it maybe 80% I have full aperture control.

11-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Any chance you could post a picture or two of that lens, and the offending tab?
11-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #96

Here's a side by side comparison of my 18-55 vs the "offending" nifty fifty. The tab is wider and when engaged gets depressed all the way. Aperture opens when slid left on both of course, just the width on the 50 appears to be the main difference. Surely someone has seen this before or experienced it?? Oh, and dig the bokeh from my Thunderbolt!
Attached Images

11-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #97
Veteran Member

I'm thinking it will have to be filed/cut down to size, but I'll leave that advice to the resident experts. It's an interesting difference in width of the aperture lever there, thanks for posting pics.
11-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I'm thinking it will have to be filed/cut down to size, but I'll leave that advice to the resident experts. It's an interesting difference in width of the aperture lever there, thanks for posting pics.
I was afraid that might be an answer....not huge on modifying the lens.

11-13-2011, 05:06 AM   #99
Forum Member

I don't quite follow you, JD. All M and K lenses will open up to full aperture when mounted regardless of what's preset on the aperture ring. Viewing takes place at full aperture. The only way you can stop down is momentarily via the green button (AE-L button on the *istD series) or deliberately via the stopdown preview lever (if fitted on the collar surrounding the shutter release button) while in M-mode. Using the green/AE-L button automatically sets the appropriate shutter speed. Everything - except the brief moment of stopdown metering and deliberate use of the preview lever - happens at full aperture. So I'm wondering if you really have a problem.
11-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #100

QuoteOriginally posted by unfocused Quote
I don't quite follow you, JD. All M and K lenses will open up to full aperture when mounted regardless of what's preset on the aperture ring. Viewing takes place at full aperture. The only way you can stop down is momentarily via the green button (AE-L button on the *istD series) or deliberately via the stopdown preview lever (if fitted on the collar surrounding the shutter release button) while in M-mode. Using the green/AE-L button automatically sets the appropriate shutter speed. Everything - except the brief moment of stopdown metering and deliberate use of the preview lever - happens at full aperture. So I'm wondering if you really have a problem.
Ah ha!! That was it! Thanks! I checked the stop down with the green button and voila! F stops all the way down to f/22. Thanks again!
11-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Wow, I totally misinterpreted that one. I thought you meant the aperture was stuck stuck. Glad to hear you worked it out.
11-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #102
Inactive Account

Thanks! Needed this information.
12-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #103
Site Supporter

How do use a 2x extender on adsa lens? The extender does not have a ap ringto turn, can this be done? I have a k200
12-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #104
Pentaxian

What is "adsa"? Do you mean a DA lens - one with no aperture ring? If the teleconverter (which is what I assume you mean by extender) has the electrical contacts needed to operate lenses with no aperture rings, then no special steps are required. If the TC lacks those contacts, then it cannot be used - well, you won't have aperture control.

Note in any case, there is almost no chance a 2X TC will produce better image quality with any of your lenses than simply cropping the results of a shot taken without the TC. In fact, it will probably be a lot worse. TC's make sense with film, where cropping is nontrivial and giving up IQ in exchange for convenience might be a worthwhile tradeoff, but it makes less sense for digital. There are certain (usually expensive) TC's that might *slightly* improve on IQ over cropping when used with certan (usually expensive) lenses, but this is definitely the exception, not the rule.
12-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #105
Site Supporter

doe not have ring, the lens is a da 18-250 pentax
Closed Thread