Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 04:31 AM - 13 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F--

Manual/Takumar/M42 Screwmount lenses on Pentax DSLRs

I've written two articles on how to use Manual K-mount M & K series / Takumar / M42 Screwmount lenses on Pentax DSLRs, as well as how to meter.

How to use Screwmount/Takumar lenses on Pentax DSLRs (K-7, K-x, etc.)

Manual Metering on Pentax DSLRs with Manual and Automatic Lenses

There is now also a tutorial video:

In a nutshell:

First, if your camera won't fire, set "Allow aperture setting other than A" to 2 (allowed) in the custom function menu. Then:

1. Set your camera to M mode using the mode dial (your camera won't fire in other modes*)
  2. Compose and focus your image.
  3. Using the aperture ring (the ring at the very back of your lens; it will have numbers such as 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8 written on it), select your desired aperture setting. Note that the smaller the aperture number is, the more light passes through the lens, and the blurrier the out of focus areas of your photograph will be.
  4. [Screwmount lenses only] Switch the diaphragm clutch on your lens to "Manual" (you can leave it on Auto when composing and focusing).
  5. Measure the light by either pressing the "Green Button", or pushing your power button to DOF preview mode (only available on select bodies). Your camera will automatically set the shutter speed for you.
All that's left now is for you to press the shutter release button to take your photo. Congratulations- you've now learned how to use M42 and M & K manual lenses with Pentax DSLRs!

*Screwmount lenses may also be used in Av mode since they are always stopped down to the aperture you will be shooting at (unlike M&K lenses, which are stopped down only when the shutter is released or when you meter as described above).

Need a M42 adapter? Pentax's adapter allows your lenses to focus to infinity and is readily available:
Pentax Mount Adapter K 30120 B&H Photo Video

You may also find our older discussion thread on this topic very helpful: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html
An occasional issue with late Takumar lenses: Why is the Auto/Man diaphragm clutch stuck on my S-M-C Takumar lens?

If your manual focus lens has an "A" setting on the aperture ring, leave it in "A" and instead use the e-dials on your camera to control the shutter speed and aperture. Don't follow the steps above.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks Adam. Useful article and tips.
10-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

first posting

I am an old man that mostly interested in taking pictures of my grandchildren. I have a pentax K-X I have the 18-55 and the 50-200mm lens. I think I'll need a faster lens for indoor ice skating pictures. Any suggestions will be helpful. My camera is new and I am still learning about all the features it offers.

Thats all for now.

John
10-31-2010, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Gallery
John, one old man to another, I think the SMC Pentax-FA 50mm f1.4 lens would suit your purposes. On the other hand, if you want to zoom in for closer shots, you might be able to get tolerable action shots in low light with your 50-200mm and an ISO setting of 1600.

11-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Thanks, bob I'll try the 1600 to see how well it will work.
11-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #6

Thanks Adam and Bob...very helpful for newbie
11-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Thanks Adam, for the information on using M42 mount on DSLR's.

johnb-123

11-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #8

Who can help? I have many Pentax lenses all manual and I have a K5 on back order so my question is what functions will the K5 have other then manual focus? so I can use the K5?. Thanks
12-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Rick. Your camera will have built in image stabilization. When you turn it on with an old lens, there is no electrical comunication, and the camera asks you to set the focal distance, because it needs this number for IS. But that is pretty dang neat to use 2010 IS technology on 40 yr old lenses. Pentax is a special company for including the green button referred to above for metering, it really is a nice feature that helps with backwards compatibility. Also when you half way depress the shutter button the camera will beep and something will light up when you acheive focus.
12-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I've got a pentax k-x and a manual pentax-m 50mm 1:1.7. Even though I set the camera to M modethe F--- keeps on flashing. Pressing the green button doesn't make any difference

Please help !!
12-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Clark Quote
Who can help? I have many Pentax lenses all manual and I have a K5 on back order so my question is what functions will the K5 have other then manual focus? so I can use the K5?. Thanks
With all the manual lenses, you can use the focus assistant indicator light in the view finder to focus. But it depends how "manual" they are for such features as aperture priority (Av mode ) which will require an 'A' lens. For M42 and M lenses you can use Tv mode and of course manual mode in all cases.
12-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Secret Elkina Quote
I've got a pentax k-x and a manual pentax-m 50mm 1:1.7. Even though I set the camera to M modethe F--- keeps on flashing. Pressing the green button doesn't make any difference

Please help !!
Hopefully this will help -

I got this info from the website listed below, but for anyone who is trying to attach a manual lens to a Pentax dslr, you first must go to the custom function menu and change the settings for "using apeture ring" to "permitted" The default won't allow it and you will just get a flashing "F" on your screen - meaning your camera is confused by the lack of apeture control from the Manual lens since its default setting doesn't recognize what is going on!

More great info for using manual lenses on pentax cameras at this site: Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs Ğrobertsdonovan.com
12-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Thank you it worked I can now start to play with my new toy
12-16-2010, 03:46 AM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Secret Elkina Quote
Thank you it worked I can now start to play with my new toy
Remember that you'll still get F--, but it shouldn't flash. There's no way for the camera to know the F stop, so in addition, it won't be included in the EXIF data.

If you have any questions or problems, PM me!

For example, on my lenses, M mode works much better than Av. Av underexposes.

Also, on the K-x, you don't have to use the Green button in M mode to lock in the shutter speed. The ev+- button defaults to do this in M mode.
12-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #15
Forum Member

Hi Adam,
I have a huge amount of k,m, A and smc lenses. What dslr will get the moast out of them.

Last edited by valarie; 12-26-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Closed Thread