Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wurbledood Quote
Hi guys, im new to the world of dslr's and chose pentax partly because of the possibility to use the m42 lenses (friends and family have a few i could use)
I've had a look around the site and seen the advice not to get the adapter with a flange on but when on amazon I found two which look identical, one makes no mention of infinity focus, the other says it is not possible, could anybody recommend one that will defiantly do the job? (there are non on amazon uk that guarantee they will work and have had some bad luck buying items off of eBay)
Wurbledood
You would want the get the ones without the flange so when the adapter is inserted into mount, it will stay flush with the mount.

08-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #77
Forum Member

This flange/no-flange advice is confusing. I'm looking at my M42-Kmount adapter right now. It's a genuine Pentax one. It has a flange and it sits flush. The Pentax literature says screw mount lenses will focus to infinity but, of course, open aperture metering and auto diaphragm operation are not possible. I can see that if the flange was any thicker or wider it would not sit flush, but a flange it is! Perhaps those with knowledge of third-party adapters could be more specific.
08-08-2011, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member

Yes, the Official Pentax adapter and it's budget clones have small narrow flanges, which extend about 4mm from the adapter throat. And that flange can be ground down a little to be thinner if necessary -- I do that to use Exakta-mount lenses on my K20D.

People are lazy (or like abbreviated terms). When they refer to a flanged M42-PK adapter, they mean WIDE-flanged, which extend about 10mm. Even though the wide and narrow flanges are the same thickness, the narrower flange allows a closer fit, and focus to infinity. So the wide guys are often called NIF (no infinity focus) adapters.

M39-PK adapters also exist, which look like the NIF adapters but with a narrower throat and thicker flange. Many Russian M39 lenses would focus past infinity if mounted with just a cheap M39-M42 ring and a narrow-flange M42-PK adapter, so the extra 1mm of the M32-PK allows for correct registration.
08-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #79

Hi All
I have been playing with my 50 ;1.4 lens, and in daylight its wonderful!! but in lower and indoor lighting, the shutter speeds tend to be way too slow for any action shots, so I'm usually missing out on all the fun shots!!! and by using the flash, it seems to take away the "magic" of this speciffic lens.

Am I expecting too much from this lens, or should I just be more patient? Or maybe I am uninformed and still need to learn how it works!!

Any helpful tips you can share?

08-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #80
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Melanie Crause Quote
Hi All
I have been playing with my 50 ;1.4 lens, and in daylight its wonderful!! but in lower and indoor lighting, the shutter speeds tend to be way too slow for any action shots, so I'm usually missing out on all the fun shots!!! and by using the flash, it seems to take away the "magic" of this speciffic lens.

Am I expecting too much from this lens, or should I just be more patient? Or maybe I am uninformed and still need to learn how it works!!

Any helpful tips you can share?
You are not expecting too much of the lens but may be expecting too much of the camera. What camera Are you using? The typical solution to your issue is to increase the ISO speed so you can get a faster shutter speed. Do note that even with a camera like the K5, Light is still required to take a photo .

09-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #81
Inactive Account

Try this web site.......

QuoteOriginally posted by Secret Elkina Quote
I've got a pentax k-x and a manual pentax-m 50mm 1:1.7. Even though I set the camera to M modethe F--- keeps on flashing. Pressing the green button doesn't make any difference

Please help !!

support.pentaximaging.com/node/1

I have a K-x too and I have no problem with all the default settigs in place but I hope this can help you . Between us two, the old manual lenses kick butt. The photos I take with the old macro lens are pretty good.
Herman
10-22-2011, 03:18 AM   #82
Forum Member

Hi
JUst wondering isn't the EV bar show metering with manual lenses?
Green button does work. But the EV bar shows nothing on k5, is that right?

Last edited by lensego; 10-22-2011 at 03:38 AM.
10-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Assuming yu mean K-moint as opposed to M42, yes, that,s normal. As explained i this thread, the camera does not know what aperture you have selected, so it cannot meter wide open. You have to do a DOF preview i order to see the meter, just as explained in the article referenced at the start of this thread.
10-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yes, the Official Pentax adapter and it's budget clones have small narrow flanges, which extend about 4mm from the adapter throat.
Rico, do you mean they extent outwards from the mount by 4mm? I haven't seen one like this. Mine, which I assume is a knockoff (it was priced as one) but has Pentax - m42 etched into it, it sits completely flush with the mount. I assumed that was normal?
10-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Rico, do you mean they extent outwards from the mount by 4mm? I haven't seen one like this. Mine, which I assume is a knockoff (it was priced as one) but has Pentax - m42 etched into it, it sits completely flush with the mount. I assumed that was normal?
Yes, that's normal. By flange width, I mean in diameter, not thickness.

With the narrow-flange infinity-focus clone adapters, those flange edges extend just a wee tiny bit (like 0.5mm) beyond the width of the bayonet blades, so the adapter fits snugly into the camera, flush with the mount.

With a wide-flange no-infinity-focus (NIF) adapter, the flange edges are out about 7mm beyond the bayonet flags; the thickness of that wide flange pushes the lens about 1mm away from the camera. That's why it's NIF.
10-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Got it, thanks for the clarification.
10-23-2011, 02:58 AM   #87
Forum Member

thanks Marc .
I got it now, and yes I was referring K mount, now I assuming m42 will be the same????
10-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No. M42 lenses work differently, but again, the links given at the beginning of this thread shold explain.
10-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #89

So it's not really a Manual mode, right? I mean: you set the aperture using the aperture ring, then you press the green button and the body sets the "correct" exposure. Unless I'm missing something, that's an Av Mode, not Manual.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Manual/Takumar/M42 Screwmount lenses on Pentax DSLRs

I've written two articles on how to use Manual M&K / Takumar / M42 Screwmount lenses on Pentax DSLRs, as well as how to meter.

How to use Screwmount/Takumar lenses on Pentax DSLRs (K-7, K-x, etc.)

Manual Metering on Pentax DSLRs with Manual and Automatic Lenses

In a nutshell:

First, if your camera won't fire, set "Allow aperture setting other than A" to 2 (allowed) in the custom function menu. Then:

1. Set your camera to M mode using the mode dial (your camera won't fire in other modes*)
  2. Compose and focus your image.
  3. Using the aperture ring (the ring at the very back of your lens; it will have numbers such as 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8 written on it), select your desired aperture setting. Note that the smaller the aperture number is, the more light passes through the lens, and the blurrier the out of focus areas of your photograph will be.
  4. [Screwmount lenses only] Switch the diaphragm clutch on your lens to "Manual" (you can leave it on Auto when composing and focusing).
  5. Measure the light by either pressing the "Green Button", or pushing your power button to DOF preview mode (only available on select bodies). Your camera will automatically set the shutter speed for you.
All that's left now is for you to press the shutter release button to take your photo. Congratulations- you've now learned how to use M42 and M & K manual lenses with Pentax DSLRs!

*Screwmount lenses may also be used in Av mode since they are always stopped down to the aperture you will be shooting at (unlike M&K lenses, which are stopped down only when the shutter is released or when you meter as described above).

You may also find our older discussion thread on this topic very helpful: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html
An occasional issue with late Takumar lenses: Why is the Auto/Man diaphragm clutch stuck on my S-M-C Takumar lens?
10-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Viernes Quote
So it's not really a Manual mode, right? I mean: you set the aperture using the aperture ring, then you press the green button and the body sets the "correct" exposure. Unless I'm missing something, that's an Av Mode, not Manual.
No, it is manual "stopped down meterint" mode. It is not varrying, it is set once , if lighting changes your exposure is wrong. At best it is a one time Tv Shift to match light and aperture

If it was Av mode, the exposure would automatically adjust to the aperture setting and prevailing light conditions.
Closed Thread