Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Peter. One feature that started with the K10 was the interactive WB setting. If you take a shot with the camera, select the WB function with the 4 way controller, and you can see the last image taken, and it will change as you modify the WB settings. It will allow you to get pretty close to what you want, in camera.

01-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #167

Thank you! This camera is so versatile, and I'm finding it very easy to use with my old lenses.

Peter
01-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adam - Im hoping that shooting manual is as easy as you claim in the guide as Im just about to buy a manual PK mount lens to go with my soon to be ordered K30.
:-)
02-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #169

Hi.
Brand new user of Pentax K-30.
Im using manual 50 mm and others.
The question is.
Can a set the shutter speed manual, insted to be automatic?
ThanX

02-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #170

Thanks, for the information on using M42 mount on DSLR's.
02-08-2013, 04:07 AM   #171

Manual K Lenses K10,K7,K5

Hi
I am trouble finding these instructions.

"Using Aperture Ring" setting (#21 on the K-7, #27 on the K-5), and set it to 2 (allowed).

I am in the Menu and there are various symbols at the top. How many steps to the right do I need to go to find "Using Aperture Ring" setting ?

Maybe I am completely off track.

Regards
02-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dobson Quote
Hi
I am trouble finding these instructions.

"Using Aperture Ring" setting (#21 on the K-7, #27 on the K-5), and set it to 2 (allowed).

I am in the Menu and there are various symbols at the top. How many steps to the right do I need to go to find "Using Aperture Ring" setting ?

Maybe I am completely off track.

Regards
The K10 is a little trickier with the menus -- they improved that in later models so all the options would appear on the screen as you move through the pages, but on the K10 you have to go to "Custom Setting" (C symbol), then you'll see on the bottom a wheel icon that says "1/6" meaning there are 6 pages of options to scroll through. Use the front wheel to do so and go all the way to page 6 and you'll find "using aperture ring" setting and set to "2" = permitted.

Should be easier to find on K7 and K5.

02-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #173

THANKS Manual K Lenses K10,K7,K5

Hi,
Thanks for the information, now my cameras are at least firing.
Now I am looking forward to some experimenting with my selection of manual lenses.
Dobson
02-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #174

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jovica Rafajlovski Quote
Hi.
Brand new user of Pentax K-30.
Im using manual 50 mm and others.
The question is.
Can a set the shutter speed manual, insted to be automatic?
ThanX
Yes, if you set the ISO value to manual. Choose the M mode.
03-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #175

very helpful thread and posts.ta
04-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #176

Using Pentax Screw Mount Lenses on Current Cameras

One of the lessons I learned early on when using an M-42 screw mount adapter ring on my Pentax K20-D is how easily the adapter ring can become almost permanently locked onto the camera body. I almost damaged my camera trying to remove it. The damn ring would NOT come off!

After I finally got the ring off, I destroyed the "locking clip" on the ring so it would never happen again. I don't know why a locking clip is needed anyway, the lens seems to stay on the camera just fine without it.

This MAY have been remedied in the PENTAX adapter, and I would welcome any and all Pentax comments about this. It certainly scared the s**t out of me when it happened!
04-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StrasburgBarry Quote
One of the lessons I learned early on when using an M-42 screw mount adapter ring on my Pentax K20-D is how easily the adapter ring can become almost permanently locked onto the camera body. I almost damaged my camera trying to remove it. The damn ring would NOT come off!

After I finally got the ring off, I destroyed the "locking clip" on the ring so it would never happen again. I don't know why a locking clip is needed anyway, the lens seems to stay on the camera just fine without it.

This MAY have been remedied in the PENTAX adapter, and I would welcome any and all Pentax comments about this. It certainly scared the s**t out of me when it happened!
As a general rule, with genuine Pentax adapters you leave the spring in and put the adapter on the camera and mount m42s by screwing them in, and all will be fine. A real Pentax adapter won't get stuck. With third-party adapters, even though they are the same style, they somehow cannot manage to make it properly so throw away the spring immediately and put the adapter on the *lens* and then mount it like a bayonet lens. It won't lock, but is usually pretty secure. Some people have touted a couple of brands that are supposedly as good as the real thing, but I've never used a generic that was as good a genuine one. But they are good if you just want to put it on the lens and leave it there -- I've got a half-dozen or so cheapies for that purpose...
04-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #178

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Manual/Takumar/M42 Screwmount lenses on Pentax DSLRs

I've written two articles on how to use Manual K-mount M & K series / Takumar / M42 Screwmount lenses on Pentax DSLRs, as well as how to meter.

How to use Screwmount/Takumar lenses on Pentax DSLRs (K-7, K-x, etc.)

Manual Metering on Pentax DSLRs with Manual and Automatic Lenses

In a nutshell:

First, if your camera won't fire, set "Allow aperture setting other than A" to 2 (allowed) in the custom function menu. Then:

1. Set your camera to M mode using the mode dial (your camera won't fire in other modes*)
  2. Compose and focus your image.
  3. Using the aperture ring (the ring at the very back of your lens; it will have numbers such as 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8 written on it), select your desired aperture setting. Note that the smaller the aperture number is, the more light passes through the lens, and the blurrier the out of focus areas of your photograph will be.
  4. [Screwmount lenses only] Switch the diaphragm clutch on your lens to "Manual" (you can leave it on Auto when composing and focusing).
  5. Measure the light by either pressing the "Green Button", or pushing your power button to DOF preview mode (only available on select bodies). Your camera will automatically set the shutter speed for you.
All that's left now is for you to press the shutter release button to take your photo. Congratulations- you've now learned how to use M42 and M & K manual lenses with Pentax DSLRs!

*Screwmount lenses may also be used in Av mode since they are always stopped down to the aperture you will be shooting at (unlike M&K lenses, which are stopped down only when the shutter is released or when you meter as described above).

Need a M42 adapter? Pentax's adapter allows your lenses to focus to infinity and is readily available:
Pentax Mount Adapter K 30120 B&H Photo Video

You may also find our older discussion thread on this topic very helpful: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html
An occasional issue with late Takumar lenses: Why is the Auto/Man diaphragm clutch stuck on my S-M-C Takumar lens?

If your manual focus lens has an "A" setting on the aperture ring, leave it in "A" and instead use the e-dials on your camera to control the shutter speed and aperture. Don't follow the steps above.
thanks man.
06-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #179

Great!

This looks great , thanks! Wow there is so much to learn here, I kind of wish I could be here all day!!
09-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #180

Thanks Adam.

Thanks! I'll read your articles and try this all out tomorrow. I appreciate the info.
Closed Thread