Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2014, 12:40 AM   #196

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
How about Av mode? That's what I always use for m42s anyway (if M mode didn't work, I'd never know it)...

Yes, Av mode works. But exposure is not consistent. My experience with older Pentax DSLRs with M42 lenses is that M mode gives more reliable exposure.
I like shooting in Manual with any lens.

01-25-2014, 12:45 AM   #197

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Well, I guess I didn't really understand the original question. Let me see if I am getting to the point. There are 2 kinds of m42 lens, one with A/M switch and one without. So, the m42 lens without A/M switch operates like only in Auto mode; which relies on the operation of the PIN to stop down. Alternatively, people, myself included, alter the lens mechanism to make it like full time M switch mode (no need to press the PIN to stop down). Therefore, with m42 lens, one can set the aperture by turning the aperture ring for the camera to meter, hence we can use Av mode instead of Manual mode.

No.
All my M42 lenses either have the A/M switch or have fully manual or preset aperture.

QuoteQuote:
Although with m42 lens (assuming you have M switch on) you could still use M mode on the camera, but why would you? With Av mode, one can set the front dial to ISO and the green button for auto-ISO, then essentially you are shooting a m42 lens in TAv mode. Why use M mode for m42 lens for k-01, k-30/k-50. I have the k-01 and use Av mode with no problem at all.
This is about the camera not doing what Pentax/Ricoh say it will.
This is about the camera not doing what all previous Pentax DSLRs did.
01-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fluke Quote

Sorry, I still don't understand your question; I rest my case, let someone else chime in and good luck..
01-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #199
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluke Quote
No.
All my M42 lenses either have the A/M switch or have fully manual or preset aperture.

Has this problem been confirmed with any/all K30/50s? Haven't seen too much talk about it, although with m42 lenses you're talking about a small subset of users and those that would prefer M to Av is even smaller than that. Not possible that is just something wrong with your body? How about the K-3? Does that work as they always did? Anyone know?

01-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #200
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How about the K-3? Does that work as they always did? Anyone know?
I haven't done extensive testing with the K3 and Pentax M42's yet because I am still testing the metering for my K lenses (which seems to be very good), but my first pass with an S-M-C 50/1.4 and SuperTak 55/1.8 is - they don't stop-down meter at all in M Mode. No GB, no optical preview lever, nothing. I find that odd and I want to carefully test further and document behavior with Auto/Man switch, etc., because a Vivitar Auto-Tele 135/2.8 actually behaves perfectly under the same circumstances.

Then again, I'm one of those sub-set of a sub-set people who wants to use a fixed ISO, aperture set on the lens and alter the Sv on the body, as if it is a film camera. In M Mode GB can be set to return to the Program Line or to do nothing.
01-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #201
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I haven't done extensive testing with the K3 and Pentax M42's yet because I am still testing the metering for my K lenses (which seems to be very good), but my first pass with an S-M-C 50/1.4 and SuperTak 55/1.8 is - they don't stop-down meter at all in M Mode. No GB, no optical preview lever, nothing. I find that odd and I want to carefully test further and document behavior with Auto/Man switch, etc., because a Vivitar Auto-Tele 135/2.8 actually behaves perfectly under the same circumstances.

Then again, I'm one of those sub-set of a sub-set people who wants to use a fixed ISO, aperture set on the lens and alter the Sv on the body, as if it is a film camera. In M Mode GB can be set to return to the Program Line or to do nothing.
And you are also claiming that the K-01 doesn't work in M mode with m42s? Mine does. I'm wondering if there is another variable in all this, some other possibly unrelated setting that you have set and I don't (or vice-versa) that is triggering a bug. (Unconfirmed bugs in mature products are usually like that -- they make no sense and don't apply to everyone, that's why they remain unfixed.) I'd like to get all of these cameras in the same room...
01-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #202
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The answer is complex with any manual lens. See this post. I will establish my parameters and post results.

Searching the K-01 sub-forum there are some fleeting entries from Feb - May 3013 that FW update 1.04 updated metering in Movie Mode and hints at undocumented improvements to still metering. Audiobomber on DPReview has apparently posted extensively on this issue and RonHendricks here has posted on several limitations with K-01 metering and adjustments that carried over to the K-30.

The key variable seems to be that TAv is buried under M. Under that scenario on must allow the ISO to float to keep SV up using GB or constant metering or, using a fixed ISO, must manually adjust SV downward dramatically to the point of often not being able to hand-hold shots that should be possible.

Several posters such as Boriscleto described the M42 metering issue as a commonly-known fault. It isn't something user-dependent or setting-dependent, or at least it wasn't during the first year and a half of K-01 use with M42's.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-26-2014 at 12:07 PM.
01-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #203
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

is that Pentax now limits backward compatibility to K-mount lenses.
Except that they maintain a FAQ page on the Ricoh Imaging Web site that gives specific (wrong) instructions for M42 lens usage on the K-50 and K30.

Using Older Lenses on the PENTAX K-50 | Ricoh Imaging Support

Using Older Lenses on PENTAX K-30 | Ricoh Imaging Support

Steve
01-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #204
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Except that they maintain a FAQ page on the Ricoh Imaging Web site that gives specific (wrong) instructions for M42 lens usage on the K-50 and K30.

Using Older Lenses on the PENTAX K-50 | Ricoh Imaging Support

Using Older Lenses on PENTAX K-30 | Ricoh Imaging Support

Steve
As I stated in my post, it is opinion only. I have nothing substantive on which to base the opinion and I will be sincerely pleased to be proven incorrect.

Clipping a small portion of that sentence was unfortunate.
01-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #205
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Clipping a small portion of that sentence was unfortunate.
True...sorry about that.

I would expect that if Ricoh were dropping support for M42 lenses in those two cameras, it is strange that they would give instructions on how to use them. It is my understanding that Ricoh was made aware of the issue a few months ago. With any luck, perhaps they may provide a firmware fix or workaround.

Steve
01-26-2014, 01:45 AM   #206

And you are also claiming that the K-01 doesn't work in M mode with m42s? Mine does. I'm wondering if there is another variable in all this, some other possibly unrelated setting that you have set and I don't (or vice-versa) that is triggering a bug. (Unconfirmed bugs in mature products are usually like that -- they make no sense and don't apply to everyone, that's why they remain unfixed.) I'd like to get all of these cameras in the same room...

Well, the K50 only works in Live view, but not when using the viewfinder. The K-01 only has liveview - no viewfinder.
01-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #207
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Correcting my previous error:

After extensively and systematically changing the Button Customization settings in M Mode with ISO fixed at my desired value the K-01 was able to take a Green Button meter reading using a SuperTak 55/1.8 at various apertures and alter the shutter speed to achieve its opinion of a correct exposure. In order for this method to work I set the GB to Sv. When the P - Program Line is elected the behavior is different and not as I desire. When Auto ISO is elected GB does not seem to take a meter reading at all and SV appears fixed, though it can be adjusted with the E-Dial if that is enabled.
01-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #208
Pentaxian

Correcting my previous error:

After extensively and systematically changing the Button Customization settings in M Mode with ISO fixed at my desired value the K-01 was able to take a Green Button meter reading using a SuperTak 55/1.8 at various apertures and alter the shutter speed to achieve its opinion of a correct exposure. In order for this method to work I set the GB to Sv. When the P - Program Line is elected the behavior is different and not as I desire. When Auto ISO is elected GB does not seem to take a meter reading at all and SV appears fixed, though it can be adjusted with the E-Dial if that is enabled.
Yes, there you go. When AutoISO is on, the K-01 enters Tav mode, except that defaults to Av mode like everything else with an m42.

So now my question is -- do the new cameras like the K-3 work like they should when not in LV, or do they work like the K30/K50?
02-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #209
Veteran Member

Hello everybody! (I'll introduce myself later when I've got more time)

I bought a KMZ Helios 44k-4 off ebay the other day for my K50 and mounted it yesterday.

I've just got one tiny question, and I'm not entirely sure how I shall word it..
:The lens' aperture lever only can be moved if I turn the ring, and not if you try to move the lever. (I suppose this is normal)
But it got me wondering, as I think the lever adjusts the aperture on the kit lens? So when I adjust the aperture by twisting the ring on the lens, am I somehow putting strain on any mechanical parts of the K50?
I think it's obvious that a manual lens' aperture can't be adjusted through the camera itself, but the linkage to the lever must still be there?

I thought I'd rather just ask in this thread than create a new one of it's own, and I hope someone will know what I'm talking about, I'm really not very good at explaining myself...

Edit: I'm talking about this lever here (picture stolen from another thread)

Thanks a lot!
02-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #210
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
Hello everybody! (I'll introduce myself later when I've got more time)

I bought a KMZ Helios 44k-4 off ebay the other day for my K50 and mounted it yesterday.

I've just got one tiny question, and I'm not entirely sure how I shall word it..
:The lens' aperture lever only can be moved if I turn the ring, and not if you try to move the lever. (I suppose this is normal)
But it got me wondering, as I think the lever adjusts the aperture on the kit lens? So when I adjust the aperture by twisting the ring on the lens, am I somehow putting strain on any mechanical parts of the K50?
I think it's obvious that a manual lens' aperture can't be adjusted through the camera itself, but the linkage to the lever must still be there?

I thought I'd rather just ask in this thread than create a new one of it's own, and I hope someone will know what I'm talking about, I'm really not very good at explaining myself...

Edit: I'm talking about this lever here (picture stolen from another thread)

Thanks a lot!
It shouldn't cause any mechanical issues with your camera.
Closed Thread