Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K100d Super and Star Trails

I've been interested in trying some start trail photography and there is supposed to be a good meteor shower tonight, so I figured I would try it. I have a couple questions, though. First, I tried a couple nights ago to use a single long exposure of about 6 minutes. It worked, but there were a lot of hot pixels. Is this just the way it is with a k100d Super? I know some people will take multiple 30 second exposures and blend them together as well. The problem I'm having with this is that there is quite a lag between taking pictures with a 30 second exposure on the k100d Super. I would imagine the star trails would end up looking like dashed lines. Is that just as good as I will be able to do with a k100d Super or does someone have some tips for me. Thanks!

08-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you can turn noise reduction off, to minimize time between shots? But I have not tried. And I have seen a few dotted line compilations. Really, I think star trails may be one area where film is the hands down winner.
08-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the response, Nick. I tried some stuff last night. Turning off the noise reduction did let me take to pictures closer together, but the amount of noise was unacceptable. Shooting with the noise reduction on worked OK except I had to press the shutter for every picture and I ended up with a dashed line. I'll probably try using my dad's old Olympus film SLR as well. Thanks!