Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
I have nothing to add really, except to say, I wish I was somewhere where 85 was "hot". It's midnight here and still 88 with a "real feel" temp of 100 because of the humidty.

Like others have said, it should be fine in the the trunk.
When you live in a place where the yearly average high is 57, yes 85 is hot.

08-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
When you live in a place where the yearly average high is 57, yes 85 is hot.
Sounds nice The motto of my city is "Famously Hot" so I guess I should know better than to complain. Enjoy the waterpark!
08-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kmets Quote
Thank you all! Most likely it will spend the day around my neck. Just wanted a back up plan if I got sick of carrying it around or decide to bring my other lens.
I second the suggestion for putting it in a cooler if you decide to leave it in the car. Instead of a freezer pack, you could put a couple of cold soft drinks in with it. That way, you'll have something cool to drink when you get out. If you decide to take your camera into the park with you, you might consider putting a plastic bag in your back pocket. It can come in mighty handy when you get around water rides.
08-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
Sounds nice The motto of my city is "Famously Hot" so I guess I should know better than to complain. Enjoy the waterpark!
It's not nice when it's 20 out and an inch of snow falling every hour.

08-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you all! Most likely it will spend the day around my neck. Just wanted a back up plan if I got sick of carrying it around or decide to bring my other lens.
If you do wind up leaving it in the car, I would suggest the "Trunk Monkey" for theft protection....
08-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #21
Pentaxian

If I decide to take the other lens, or if I get sick of carrying the camera, is it safe to leave camera or lens in the hot car? It is supposed to be around 85. I don't want to damage it by letting it get too hot. I also know I will regret not bringing it.

Thanks for your help!
I have used $10.00 flexible coolers from my local grocery store and stuffed one of my cameras inside with two well wrapped ice packs then, thrown it in the trunk.
08-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

Why not get one of those little flexible 6-can coolers, put your camera in there, and take it WITH you?

Not only will it protect the camera against water, but what the hell good is your camera sitting in a trunk going to do you?

It's a camera, so USE it!!!
08-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
I have left my K100 in my car at the airport for a couple of weeks without any issues.. I am in Tampa, FL and this was with daytime highs in the upper 90's and inside car temp probably much warmer. FL summer sun is a killer! Would I do it again, probably not. It was an accident btw.

So, with your temp, I wouldn't sweat it

08-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #24
Pentaxian

You don't say what your two lenses are, but assuming it's something like the 18-55 and the 50-200 or some other telephoto zoom, I'd say you want them both. Sure, telephoto shots of kids on rides are cool, but so are wide angle shots of the rides themselves and the park overall. Since this won't be the only time you're ever faced with this decision, you don't want the wieght of the bag to be a consideration for the rest of your life, so get a lighter bag, or just pack it lighter (eg, maybe your don't need a set of filters and extension tubes and 3 spare sets of batteries and a bottle of lens cleaning fluid and so on and so on...)

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 08-13-2010 at 07:09 PM.
08-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Check out the k-x manual, bottom of page 3 or the care to be taken during handling.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/images/temp/63399407595779261272600manual_k-x_en_official.pdf

It warns against leaving in the car. It says the temp range for using is up to 104 F.
08-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #26

What you might want to consider INSTEAD OF a "blue ice" pack is a homemade device. Take a LARGE athletic sock. Fill it with rice and sew the top closed. Pop it in the freezer. When you are ready to leave, put the sock in the 6-pack cooler. It will stay colder longer than the blue ice and it has the added benefit of absorbing the moisture into the rice. The rice will dry out again too and you can reuse this for years. Also works the opposite when leaving a camera in a car in the winter time. Just heat up the sock in the microwave for about 2 minutes and it will keep a 6-pack cooler warm all day in a cold car.
08-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Check out the k-x manual, bottom of page 3 or the care to be taken during handling.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/images/temp/63399407595779261272600manual_k-x_en_official.pdf

It warns against leaving in the car. It says the temp range for using is up to 104 F.
Does that mean that people in the Arizona and New Mexico Desert area are excluded from using the Kx? I've been there when 104F would have been a nice cool breeze.

08-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Does that mean that people in the Arizona and New Mexico Desert area are excluded from using the Kx?
it could Jeff, under right scenario... ambient temp plus IR square heat loss generated
by sensor, especially in live view could quickly initiate thermal shutdown...
True with any sensor,any camera (digital)

Local news show put up some stuff saying expect a 35 to 40 degree(F) rise over
ambient in a car.... 85 + 35 = hot enough to be a concern

Done what Ira suggest, works quite well, never left mine in car though.
08-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

How hot is it in your car or car trunk?

Park your car in the sun for a few hours and it gets hot, hot, hot. Just how hot does it get? Maximum operating temperature for most consumer electronics including digital cameras is about 105F and storage is often a maximum of 120F.

Thank you for asking. On a 95 degree day, my car parked in the sun gets to nearly 140 degrees. I know because I ran the experiment! Your's could be hotter.

Here's what I did. I bought an Oregon Scientific RMR382/BLRBK Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer with Self-Setting Atomic Clock from Fry's Electronics for $23 and set it up according to instructions. The outdoor thermometer reads up to 140F, but the indoor tops out at 122F. In the morning before work, I reset the min/max temperature and placed the "outdoor" thermometer in the passenger compartment and the "indoor" atomic clock with thermometer in the trunk. When I got to work, I parked the car in the sun. After work I checked the maximum temperature. Inside the passenger compartment, the temperature had reached 130 while in the trunk it was a cool 120. The official high for the cloudless day was 95. I've performed the experiment many times now with similar results, sometimes higher and sometimes lower.

Can an ice chest in the trunk provide a safe haven for electronics?

To answer the question, I placed the outdoor thermometer inside an empty plastic cooler (Blue Coleman, 9-qt, $10) in the trunk. After a day in the sun, temperature inside the ice chest in the trunk was about 15 degrees cooler. Of course there was no ice in the ice chest, because ice would create a humidity problem for any electronics or lenses. Finally, I tested a padded cooler (6-can, $8) inside the ice chest by putting the outdoor thermometer in the innermost padded cooler. The temperature inside the coolers now read 25-30 F lower than that inside the passenger compartment. Even on days when the outside temperature was 105, the inner compartment remained below 105 F as long as it cooled down at night into the 70's. While it is safer to have my camera or other electronics with me at all times, that's not always possible, at least now I know that I can leave my gear in a locked trunk inside double cooler and not have to worry about the temperature. Theft is another matter.

http://cachescientific.com/mambo//index2.php?option=content&do_pdf=1&id=9
08-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
it could Jeff, under right scenario... ambient temp plus IR square heat loss generated
by sensor, especially in live view could quickly initiate thermal shutdown...
True with any sensor,any camera (digital)

Local news show put up some stuff saying expect a 35 to 40 degree(F) rise over
ambient in a car.... 85 + 35 = hot enough to be a concern

Done what Ira suggest, works quite well, never left mine in car though.
My last trip to the desert predates any Digital camera experience. In fact, the hot digital camera then was a Logitech device that claimed to be a camera. My Olympus OM4 survived the trip quite nicely though. I have no desire to return. It's hot enough here