Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I don't know if this has changed on the K-7, but on the K10D and K20D, the USB socket is simply soldered onto the main circuit board in the camera. Someone on the web has some pictures of the socket. There is no physical strain relief. The only physical structure is the four pins that carry the USB signal, which are soldered to the board.
You might take a look at the USB port on the camera. It is solidly supported by the body plastic. You might be able to punch the USB port out of place, but any other force applied will need to destroy something else before the USB port moves out of position.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk20d/page4.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk10d/page4.asp

Thank you
Russell

09-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always use the card reader (well, except once when the el cheapo one died. The reader I have now is genuine Sandisk.)
Why would anyone trust their lovely Pentax DSLR into the care of Microsoft Windows?
09-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #18
Forum Member

I have been using 1 or 2 gig cards in my card reader with no problems. When I got my Kx I bought an 8. When I put it in the reader, I get the hourglass for a bit then an error message about no card being inserted.

I tried formatting the card in the camera, but same outcome. Is this just because my computer is too old, about 3 years, to recognize that size card?
09-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob photo 4 life Quote
I have been using 1 or 2 gig cards in my card reader with no problems. When I got my Kx I bought an 8. When I put it in the reader, I get the hourglass for a bit then an error message about no card being inserted.

I tried formatting the card in the camera, but same outcome. Is this just because my computer is too old, about 3 years, to recognize that size card?
It is not the computer, it is the card reader. Update the card reader to an SDHC card reader and it should just work.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-08-2010 at 07:00 AM.
09-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bob,
I agree with Russell (and cheaper to buy a new card reader than a new computer!).
Don't buy a cheap reader. I bought several from China/HK via ebay and they all died within a few weeks. I now have a Sandisk reader and couldn't be happier.

Rod
09-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some computer manufacturers have an update for the card reader to enable it to read SDHC cards. Which computer do you have?
09-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Some computer manufacturers have an update for the card reader to enable it to read SDHC cards. Which computer do you have?
It is a Gateway, I think it is about 3 or 4 years old, maybe more. It has Windows XP, and the card reader was built in when I bought it.

09-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Which Gateway? If you tell me I might be able to check to see if they have a firmware update for your reader. Course, you can also check that too. Just go to their site, and look under the drivers section.
09-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Which Gateway? If you tell me I might be able to check to see if they have a firmware update for your reader. Course, you can also check that too. Just go to their site, and look under the drivers section.
It is a model 5200XL. Thanks for your help, too.
09-08-2010, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, sad to say but Gateway doesn't offer an updated firmware download for your card reader.

But you can still purchase a USB reader. I bought mine from Walmart this past Christmas. It was less than $10. It was just like this one in the link:

Amazon.com: Targus Digital TGR-SD20 USB 2.0 Secure Digital Card Reader/Writer: Camera & Photo

I find now, they are not for sale at Walmart online stores but could still be in stock at the actual store. Course there are other brands that work too. Sandisk comes to mind on this option.

I would definitely use a reader rather than the USB cable that comes with the camera as it drains your batteries.
09-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #26
Raylon

Well, apparently I am the only one who uses the cable. I have a K200 w/battery grip, so I have 8 AA's worth of power, and being connected to the computer for 5 minutes has no effect on battery life at all. I have a 8 GB card and it has not been out of my camera once in the 2 and a half years that I have owned the camera. I feel it is safer in there. I have plenty of the standard micro USB cables laying around so I always have a cable nearby. I personally see the usb cable as much easier. To each his own.
09-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #27
Forum Member

I don't know how using the camera to transfer to the computer affects battery life as I have only had my Kx for a few weeks. I did see a post about the Kx specifically about how the USB was only soldered to the circuit board with no strain relief. It may be more secure on other models, but there was concern that frequent use of the cable might cause a problem.
09-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have always downloaded using a card reader, and never the camera. the simple reason is that it is faster with a card reader, and unless you shoot so little that you never have to change cards, you will always have cards out of the camera that need uploading etc, so why use the camera and drain its batteries when you don';t have to. it takes time to recharge the camera batteries so the more you do that burns the battery down in the camera the less shooting you do.

There have been a few hickups with high capacity cards and the need occasionally to get a new reader but they are cheap. the last reader I had, came free with the 8GB HCSD that I bought.