Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 05:24 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you need a little air movement.

the gell will not get moisture out of the lens once condenced, you need a little heat on the lens (convert moisture to water vapor, and air movement to get it out of the lens.

Put the lens in the sun, and have a small fan nearby, just to stirr the air.

10-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter

I would get silica packs (make sure they are actually dry=active, to start with). Place them,lens and a small muffin fan in a Tupperware box with a tight lid for day or two.
The fan will keep air moving and the silica will absorb the moisture.

p.s.
Cut a notch for the cord and seal it with tape.
10-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #18
Site Supporter

And if you want to get serious about dry air, then one of these desiccant air dryers hooked up to your compressor will do the trick.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:50 PM.
11-17-2011, 01:24 AM   #19

Okay, piggybacking on this one instead of starting my own thread:

I still don't know how but I managed to get some condensation on an inner element of my FA77 a few days ago! Not having much sun around here right now and not daring to experiment with some heat source I just packed the lens into a plastic bag with a batch of silica-gel, which has now successfully removed the condensation from the lens, it's perfectly clear again.

Now considering this lens was not exactly a cheap second had buy (well, it was but only relatively so) I am a bit worried about fungus or other unpleasant consequences. I'm gonna keep the lens stored with fresh silica for a while and will put it in front of the window as soon as we get some sun here. Are there any other precautions I should take?

11-17-2011, 05:55 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mano Quote
will put it in front of the window as soon as we get some sun here
That would be my preference but, if there's no prospect for sun anytime soon, I have no compunctions about sticking a lens in an oven pre-heated to100 degrees (Fahrenheit!) My drill is: pre-heat oven, turn off oven, insert lens, let cool, remove lens, repeat.
11-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #21
Pentaxian

People, people, its far easier than that.

Just follow directions below

1. Find a good movie you always wanted to watch.

2. Snatch your wife's favorite hair dryer.

3. Remove lens cap from the lens side.

4. Start the movie and adjust the volume.

5. Hold the lens in one hand and slowly rotate it while directing the hot air from the air dryer on it.
holding the lens in your hand will ensure you don't overheat the lens.

6. In 90 minutes, the water droplets inside the lens wil be gone, if not, repeat the movie

Background, i inadvertently bought a lens off ebay and didn't check my mail box for a number of days. with snow
on the ground, i eventualy found my lens in the mail box and unboxed it only to find fog and water droplets inside the lens. Using the above procedure, the moisture got less and less until it finally was gone.

Cost of repair: None except for a lecture i got from my wife about her hair dryer
11-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
And if you want to get serious about dry air, then one of these desiccant air dryers hooked up to your compressor will do the trick.
As long a silly overkill is coming up, I think a vacuum pump would be cheaper. Make an airtight container out of PVC pipe with a 1/4 in flare fitting and pull it into a slight vacuum for a few minutes. If you have a friend who does A/C, you could borrow one or buy the whole setup at Harbor Freight for under $100.