Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Ughhhh! Moisture inside lens

I have moisture on the inside of my 70-200 Sigma. I took it outside from the air conditioning yesterday evening and it fogged up. I let it sit in my camera bag overnight with a few gel packs and a cloth but still no luck yet. Any suggestions?

08-13-2010, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try leaving it outside of your bag and place the silica gel near the openings. That cound potentially allow the moisture to evaporate.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Inactive Account

If I were you I'd buy one of the countainers of dessicant used to dehumidify closets and basements(most hardware stores should have them), and I'd put it and the lens in an airtight container together. That would be a sure bet to dry it out if it's gonna happen. If that doesn't work it'll probably need a trip to a repair place.
08-13-2010, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Or a in a container and cover the lens with uncooked rice. It worked for my sister in law's cell phone when it fell in the pool.

08-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect this is not a major issue and that putting it out in the sun on a warm dry day would probably resolve it. I do that from time to time with all my lenses since humidity is a chronic issue here.
08-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I suspect this is not a major issue and that putting it out in the sun on a warm dry day would probably resolve it. I do that from time to time with all my lenses since humidity is a chronic issue here.
That worked for my digital pedometer when it fell in the pool.

We really should stop drinking beside the pool.
08-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
That worked for my digital pedometer when it fell in the pool.

We really should stop drinking beside the pool.
Nah, give up walking around the pool ;~)

08-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FunkyMonk Quote
I have moisture on the inside of my 70-200 Sigma. I took it outside from the air conditioning yesterday evening and it fogged up. I let it sit in my camera bag overnight with a few gel packs and a cloth but still no luck yet. Any suggestions?
I had this happen to me a couple of years ago in Hawaii. I let it bake out in the sun, and everything was fine...

08-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Air tight I think is the key here. There is natural moisture in the air so if you have it in an air tight conatiner with a dehumidifier, I think that will solve your problem.
08-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Gel packs will work only if in sealed environment. Seal the lens and packs in a ziplock bag for a week will do.
08-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

+1
Put your lens in the sun for 1-2 hours (without caps!) and it will do the trick. More generally it works with most electronics as long as you leave the doors/opening opened.
08-14-2010, 04:23 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HOWEVER: with an older lens that may have seen service in dirty air conditions (dusty roads & smoky clubs), this episode might leave water-spots (but that means it was due for serious cleaning anyway.)
08-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I dropped my lens in a stream. It worked fine but there was a haze on the interior elements. At the time, it was not much more to buy a new lens than to have it cleaned, so I went that route.

I'm not sure every surface can be cleaned in some modern lenses, because some of the elements may be combined together in modules that might be permanently assembled, but not quite water-tight.

Paul
08-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

This works

I bought a 50mm lens off ebay, and due to my error, it sat in a mailbox for 6 days with snow on the ground. opened the package and moisture inside the lens.

took the wife's hairdryer and carefully warmed the lens in my hand while waving the hair dryer at it with the other hand. constantly rolling it in my hand ensured an even warming, i think.

Anyway, started seeing the fogged area reduce in size, over 30 minutes or so and then it was gone. no residue left that i could see. Still have it and it works fine.
10-26-2010, 05:13 AM   #15

Hello, may I know is the silica gel packs safe to use?

I've got some from a South Korean seller on ebay and hope it doesnt include the blue-> pink indicators (cobalt chloride)

Thanks