Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
OK, is this a joke? Not having seen one in person, I have to say that it "looks" to me (from online images) that the only lenses you can affix to the camera as long as one of these adapters is attached is a screw mount lens (i.e. one that you attach by turning it several revolutions into the threading). Is this not the case?
It is not a joke and your understanding of the adapter is correct. A few of us do use screwmount lenses as our daily shooting lenses and only on very rare occasions do we remove the adapter so we can use K-mount lenses. In my case, it is only for situations where I absolutely must have zoom and/or auto-focus. Fortunately, those situations are few and far between.

Takumars really are my daily kit and I even ordered my Lens Baby 2.0 from the factory so I could get it in screwmount (so I could use it on my old screwmount film cameras and also not have to remove the adapter from my K20D to use it).

Some people use screwmounts only every once in a while and find it a pain to have to constantly install and remove the adapter to switch back and forth between screwmount and K-mount. Some of us just shake our heads and wonder why they don't leave the damned K-mounts at home on the shelf. We are the few, and we are oddballs. We recognize and embrace that.

We would be most pleased to have you visit us in The Takumar Club thread.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 08-20-2010 at 05:10 AM.
08-17-2010, 03:27 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's one that's both cheap and doesn't screw up your photos at infinity: General Brand Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter ABPKS -

Just look for the presence of a protruding metal flange, and if you see it, don't buy the adapter!
WOW, THAT'S a low price!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
08-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #18
Inactive Account

i just bought my genuine m42 adapter today off ebay for $30
08-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So based on the info here I ordered a m-42 Pentax k/m adapter which looks unused however minus the clip. Adorama says it's genuine. Anyone have any suggestions/ recommendations for use with my 40 yr. old 1.4 50mm SMC Takumar on a K-7 since the Spotmatic II meter died? Mike Cash?

08-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, is this a joke? Not having seen one in person, I have to say that it "looks" to me (from online images) that the only lenses you can affix to the camera as long as one of these adapters is attached is a screw mount lens (i.e. one that you attach by turning it several revolutions into the threading). Is this not the case?
That is exactly the case. One of the major advantages of the genuine Pentax adaptor is that you can take it off with the approved Pentax tool (pen point) or the non-approved one I have with me at all times (fingernail). Some of the other adaptors don't make infinity (flanged as mentioned above) and others need a fiddly tool to remove from the camera, which usually results in the owner of it removing the latching device with the possibility (and not remote, either) of dropping the lens while focusing or - more commonly - changing the aperture and/or the A/M switch position.

You have a lens that is worth $$$, you have a camera that is worth $$$ and you are sweating about $30 more for the real, works-every-time, adaptor?
08-20-2010, 05:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
So based on the info here I ordered a m-42 Pentax k/m adapter which looks unused however minus the clip. Adorama says it's genuine. Anyone have any suggestions/ recommendations for use with my 40 yr. old 1.4 50mm SMC Takumar on a K-7 since the Spotmatic II meter died? Mike Cash?
1. Send the SPII to Eric and get it fixed.

I'm not really sure what other suggestions you may be looking for. If you could be a bit more specific I am certain we will be able to help you.
08-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I always smile at the tons of articles written on the Mount Adapter K (M42 screw to K Bayonet). well I have been using both the Pentax original and an India made one (Sonia) for the last 30 years on different Pentax SLRs and now on the K20D. The Indian one is good as the Pentax original. It is much lighter too - could be black anodized aluminium.
It costed me INR 200 then ($5), but it wont be relevant after so many years.

Last edited by nanhi; 06-29-2011 at 08:10 AM.
08-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prox-iee Quote
i just bought my genuine m42 adapter today off ebay for $30
Was it a single or does the seller have others?
08-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
That will cost you a total of $47.95

That will cost you a total of $55.25

That will cost you a total of $68.95.

For the last two, you have to include the cost of replacing them with the genuine Pentax adapter, which is what you would end up doing anyway. It is cheaper to go ahead and just buy it to begin with. Seriously, there is a big difference. We have thread after thread after thread here attesting to this from folks who found out the hard (read: "expensive") way.
I haven't seen any of those threads. Just tried and couldn't find them using "Search" (searching on "M42 adapter"). Could you link me or give me a hint (i.e. search argument?) to enable me to find them?
08-20-2010, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

I haven't seen any of those threads. Just tried and couldn't find them using "Search" (searching on "M42 adapter"). Could you link me or give me a hint (i.e. search argument?) to enable me to find them?
Search Results
08-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #26

When I get time I will take some pic's of the Asahi Pentax adapter vs ElCheapo adater as there are a few differences.
If you look closely at the ElCheapo the three locating lugs are shorter in length and can allow you to put the thing in a lug out of place if you fluke the right angle like I did once.
Man I was sweating diamonds till an hour later I wiggled it the right way and got it off.
The screw that holds elcheapo's spring retainer has been ground down to give it clearence.
Think the elceapos fit OK until they are chromed and it mucks up the clearences too.
Won't all be the same though as I would think older non genuine copies would be made better than some of todays.
08-22-2010, 05:40 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Mike, where and who is Eric? Sorry for the newbie question but a search under repairs didn't uncover any listing. Thanks.
08-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Mike, where and who is Eric? Sorry for the newbie question but a search under repairs didn't uncover any listing. Thanks.

Here you go----> Home
08-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have purchased the non-genuine made in China, the Bowers and the genuine. Bottom line: Buy the genuine, it does not come with a tool to remove it. Important: The adapter goes into the camera, not onto the lens. That is how I screwed up first. Second, the Bowers works because provides infinite focussing and has a tool to remove the adapter from the camera (an improvement over the genuine Pentax that has to be removed with a ball point pen). However, I had a bad experience with the Bower: The lens got stuck, it did not unscrewed after I have had it for a day on the camera. I had to read advise from the forum and somehow I get the whole thing out of the camera. Still, I could not unscrew the lens from the adapter. I had to use WD40 and a plummer wrench to remove it. The Bower adapter was damaged with this action, and the threads of the lens suffered a bit, but it works fine. Since then, I only use genuine. The finish of the adapter does not allow the allow of the lens to get attached, glued, bonded, etc. to it. Most of the non-genuine adpaters are not finished like the genuine, that is your best guide. Nowdays, I see on Ebay some sellers from Asia that demonstrate the adapter screwed on the lens. That is the wrong way, you will not be able to remove it from the camera. The adapter goes onto the camera. I mostly use Taks and other M42 mount lenses, so the adapter stays on the camera most of the time.
08-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #30
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I usually find it easier to mount the adapter in the camera and just forget that K mount exists.
Mike, I think that's both our problems/situations as well.

Someone recently gave me a mint PK-mount Vivitar 75-205 macro-focusing zoom (whatever that means), plus a mint Pentax M SMC 55 2.

And I have no desire at all yet to try either lens because I would have to remove my M42 adapter.