Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M42 screw mount adapter - Pentax?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

If I buy it at Pentax it's going to cost me about $41 including CA tax and $6.95 shipping:

PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)

How does this one stack up against it (It's $7.30 shipped from Asia):

Pentax M42 42mm to PK K Mount Adapter Infinity focus - eBay (item 120560612483 end time Aug-20-10 20:11:08 PDT)

Or this (about $21 shipped):

Pentax ScrewMount M42 Lens to K Mount Camera Adapter on eBay (end time 16-Aug-10 20:31:36 BST)

The ones on eBay are metal. Do they lack any features?

08-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's one that's both cheap and doesn't screw up your photos at infinity: General Brand Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter ABPKS -

Just look for the presence of a protruding metal flange, and if you see it, don't buy the adapter!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Get the Pentax adapter, you will not regret it....
08-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
If I buy it at Pentax it's going to cost me about $41 including CA tax and $6.95 shipping:
That will cost you a total of $47.95

QuoteQuote:
How does this one stack up against it (It's $7.30 shipped from Asia):
That will cost you a total of $55.25

QuoteQuote:
Or this (about $21 shipped):
That will cost you a total of $68.95.

For the last two, you have to include the cost of replacing them with the genuine Pentax adapter, which is what you would end up doing anyway. It is cheaper to go ahead and just buy it to begin with. Seriously, there is a big difference. We have thread after thread after thread here attesting to this from folks who found out the hard (read: "expensive") way.

08-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The conventional wisdom around here is that only the genuine Pentax adapter is worth owning.

While there are some real crappy adapters out there, I have to say that I have never had any problems with my third-party adapter. I think it is made by Bower, but it has no markings and I long ago lost the packaging. I went to a brick and mortar camera store here in Cleveland and asked them to order one for me. I think I paid around $20 for it.

It took a little finagling to figure out how it worked, but once I did, all was well. It got even better when the spring locking clip fell off. Since I only have one M42 lens that I regularly use on my K10D, I leave the adapter on my Super Takumar 50mm, f/1.4 lens. This effectively turns it into a k-mount lens.

I have never had even a hint of a problem with the lens falling off. Friction is more than enough to keep the adapter securely mounted in the camera. M42 lenses never had any kind of lock anyway (and I never heard of the lens falling off a Spotmatic), so the lens has never come loose in the adapter. Some people have gone to the trouble of drilling a hole or machining a groove in the M42 lens to let the locking pin do its job, but I've never felt the need.

To mount it, (remember, the adapter is already on the lens), I just mount it the way I would any other k-mount lens. To remove, I simply turn about 1/8 turn counter-clockwise and it comes right off, while the adapter stays on the lens.
08-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
The conventional wisdom around here is that only the genuine Pentax adapter is worth owning.
I can't recall a post where someone ditched their genuine adapter and replaced it with something else. Lots of posts in the opposite direction, though.

I used a Roxsen adapter for about a year and a half with no trouble. Then I got an 85/1.9 which would cause the adapter to back out of the camera mount sometimes when focusing or adjusting the aperture. Replaced it with the genuine adapter, which both solved my problem and killed the ten bucks I had "saved" by cheaping out in the first place.
08-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I get tired of the Adapter Wars. I own one Official Pentax adapter, a couple dozen of the despised clones, and a half-dozen flanged (no infinity focus) adapters. The Official Pentax adapter is expensive, safe, and tedious. The flanged adapters are cheap, safe, and great for macros and closeups where you don't care about infinity. The cheap clones... once the screw and clip are removed, I've had no problems. Zero, zip, none. I tighten such clones onto the M42 lens, using a PK rear lens cap as a wrench. I easily mount and dismount those lenses; some, I've even forgotten they aren't native PK-mount.

Everyone who uses screwmount lenses should own one (1) Official Pentax adapter. Those who use M42 macro gear and otherwise shoot close, should own as many flanged adapters as they think they need. Those who have very few screwmount lenses will be happy with the above. Those who have MANY screwmounts (I own ~70) will find it very very convenient to use a number of cheap clones.

To those who have had problems with cheap clones: I'm sorry for you, but in my years of constantly swapping adapted lenses, I just haven't experienced such trouble. Good luck to y'all.

08-15-2010, 01:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I usually find it easier to mount the adapter in the camera and just forget that K mount exists.
08-15-2010, 02:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a Bower and after a couple of years of using it, has never let me down, never gotten stuck on the camera and never disappoints when focusing at infinity. The only difference, says "Bower" on it rather than "Pentax". Who knows (and I would bet on it) it is probably made in the same factory, by the same 12 year olds.

Jason
08-15-2010, 05:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I usually find it easier to mount the adapter in the camera and just forget that K mount exists.
I'm pretty much the same. Started with just one M42 but after a while I had collected enough M42'lenses to have a screw mount kit. When I go out with it the adaptor stays in the camera
08-15-2010, 05:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I'm pretty much the same. Started with just one M42 but after a while I had collected enough M42'lenses to have a screw mount kit. When I go out with it the adaptor stays in the camera
Takumars are my default kit so I view the adapter as not as something I put on the camera for use M42 lenses but rather as something I once in a great while remove from the camera to reluctantly use K mount lenses. If the adapter got permanently stuck it wouldn't break my heart.
08-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I can't recall a post where someone ditched their genuine adapter and replaced it with something else. Lots of posts in the opposite direction, though.
I do not question the quality of the genuine Pentax adapter. I was simply relaying my experience, which may or may not match that of others. My only point was that there are non-Pentax adapters out there that work well.

The problem, of course, is distinguishing the good ones from the bad ones.
08-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

That's the reason you buy the genuine Pentax, and have no worries.
08-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Gee, I almost forgot that you can actually REMOVE the adapter!!!
08-17-2010, 05:56 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Gee, I almost forgot that you can actually REMOVE the adapter!!!
OK, is this a joke? Not having seen one in person, I have to say that it "looks" to me (from online images) that the only lenses you can affix to the camera as long as one of these adapters is attached is a screw mount lens (i.e. one that you attach by turning it several revolutions into the threading). Is this not the case?