Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #1

Newbie appreciates assistance with continuous shooting

I apologize in advance if this is already posted. I usually try searching prior to posting but couldn't find the exact answers I'm looking for.

I'm trying to take some continuous shots on my K-x but only able to get 3 continuous shots at a time. I found a post about SDHC cards where others are getting 50+ shots over 25 seconds on Class 10 and Class 6 cards so that leads me to believe the Transcend 8Gb Class 6 that I'm using should be sufficient and not the culprit. I even tried a Sandisk Class 2 card with same results. I tried different modes Auto, M, AV, and TV settings and each with diff shutter speeds and ISO level but with same results. Tries settings per Manual but no success. So I'm not sure if I have a defect camera or not.

Assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

08-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've had this happen to me seemingly randomly, I'll put it at JPEG, 1/1000th, 100 iso, drive mode continuous high and for some reason the continuous shooting just seems to crawl along at 1 or 2 fps.

Fresh batteries always solves the problem for me. Try it without a card in there too, to see if it's the camera or the card, I doubt it's the card though as I can get pretty darn good speeds out of my K7 (and previous Kx) from class 4 cards

I'll bet this is just batteries, new batteries always get the fastest fps for me
08-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
cancel this...other posts was listed in Similar Threads right after my post was submitted...funny those threads were not listed when i did a search on "continuous shooting"
08-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For Hi continuous shooting, you need:
- a fast card (Class 10 or faster) like a Sandisc Extreme III,
- select a small file size (eg 6 Mp), and
- switch off any on-board PP.

The K-x has a very small buffer and you can only take 3-4 RAW files at a time before the camera slow down.

The K-7 has a larger buffer size and I have been able to get over 60 shots in Hi continuous shooting without any problem. I use a SD Sandisc Extreme III, I set 6 Mp JPEG file type, and I kill all on board PP incl. lens distortion correction, high ISO correction, etc ....

Hope that the comment will help.

08-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks. It was the lens corrections i had to disable. But good to know for all the others i have to kill. I'll try those to see if i can get more continuous shot count.
08-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
For Hi continuous shooting, you need:
- a fast card (Class 10 or faster) like a Sandisc Extreme III, select a small file size (eg 6 Mp)

I would disagree with this statement.
I use a Scandisc Ultra II (class 4) and use maximum jpeg settings and have no trouble getting approximately 22 shots before there is any slowing down
08-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
I use a Scandisc Ultra II (class 4) and use maximum jpeg settings and have no trouble getting approximately 22 shots before there is any slowing down
Assuming you meant Sandisk, I think these are exceptional cards amongst the masses. ex: A class 4 and even 2 Sandisk cards are often reported outperforming other brands sporting much higher ratings.

The two top performers I've encountered with respect to notable performance advantages are Sandisk Extreme and Lexar Professional ones, though recently, I've discovered a great alternative named Silicon Power that seems just as fast as Sandisk and Lexar at a fraction of the cost, though the jury is still out on build quality.

Either way, Class 10 cards can give us a few extra frames in buffer with RAW and quite a bit more with JPG, which can be quite advantageous when trying to keep up with events during a shoot. But it's the write times that really make-up the difference for me like with live view. In cases where the camera will not come back to life until the shots are processed, at which point a high performance card seems to make a world of difference.