Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When you take a picture in a portrait shot do you rotate it back to portrait and save

When you take a picture in a portrait shot on jpeg and when you
put that picture in your pc. It appears to be positioned in a
landscape shot. Do you rotate it to a portrait and save the file or just leave it
at that?
I notice that when i save it on a portrait shot (vertical) the file
becomes smaller from about 3.5MB (landscape) to about 950KB (portrait)

08-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you rotating it with the Windows Explorer? Don't save it that way if so.

08-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The software you are using to rotate the image is compressing it, therefore reducing the file size.
08-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Your K200D has an oreintation sensor and is capable of storing the rotation info in the file. Portrait pictures should already be coming out portrait. At least, when viewed with a viewer that knows how to honor the orientation information. So it should just be a matter of making sure your camera is set to store the rotation info (I think thats a custom option somewhere) and that your viewing software knows how to honor that information. I have a K200D, and I've never had to manually rotate a picture when viewing with ACDSee or any of the other programs I've used.

08-16-2010, 03:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The files on my K200D are on portrait when i view it.
after i transfered them to the PC. They are on landscape view.
if i rotate it to portrait it the file size becomes smaller.
I use Irvfan View.
08-16-2010, 03:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
The files on my K200D are on portrait when i view it.
after i transfered them to the PC. They are on landscape view.
if i rotate it to portrait it the file size becomes smaller.
I use Irvfan View.
This is strange. I have K200D, I use IrfanView, and I never have these problems. Are you using an up-to-date version of IrfanView? Regardless of whether I'm viewing a JPG or a raw image, I have never had a picture come up in incorrect orientation.
08-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

You software isn't reading the image orientation coming off the camera.

08-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
This is strange. I have K200D, I use IrfanView, and I never have these problems. Are you using an up-to-date version of IrfanView? Regardless of whether I'm viewing a JPG or a raw image, I have never had a picture come up in incorrect orientation.
You mean when you take a shot at a portrait view and when you load it at the PC folders it comes on a portrait (vertical)?
I dont know what version is my Irvfan view
08-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Are you using Irfanview or some other program to transfer the images? Perhaps the software doing the transfer is clearing the orientation field? Or you simply don't have the correct option set in Irfanview to get it to read that field? Either way, I'd focu on getting that figured out. Not having to manually rotate images any more was for the single biggest impovement going from the *istDS (which lacked the orientation sensor) to the K200D. Well, aside perhaps from SR.
08-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
when i transfer images from the card to the PC. i just create a folder on the Pictures folder and transfer from the card to the folder.. ctrl cut and ctrl paste to the destination..
when it arrives on the folder the pics are all on landscapes..
08-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

OK, then the problem is Irfanview not honoring the orientation setting. If they are rotated correctly on the camera LCD, and all you are doing is copying them to the computer, then Irfanview has got to be to blame. Like I said, look to see if there is an option to control whether the rotation info is used or not.
08-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #12

On my XP system, Windows Explorer thumbnail view ignores any orientation information in the EXIF data. I haven't done any tests but the built-in thumbnail view might even use the small JPEG embedded in the EXIF. (someone please confirm )
08-17-2010, 04:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Download the newest version and install it. If that doesn't work, I don't know. I guess check through Irfanview's options to make sure it's honoring the orientation info. I never had to do this though, it worked straight out of the "box" for me.
08-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Also, try another program just to be sure. I'd bet the Windows Photo Gallery would work, also try the Pentax software. Just to make sure the orientation info is really there. If appears properly rotated on the camera LCD, that would seem to be the case, but just to be sure...
08-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Irfan view has an option that need to be checked in settings, for it to automatically rotate images.

A freshly installed irfan view will offer something like ~75% compression when saving jpeg. It reduces size and has huge effect on quality.

Btw, irfan view has also an "exif rotate" function where it simply rewrites the oriantation tag, for images from cameras without orientation sensor. This allows the image to be placed correctly, without degradign the quality.