Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2010, 12:57 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Forget the filters. Buy a hood instead. The Kx kit lens doesn't come with one. I will let the Kx owners comment on which one to get. UNLESS, you want to get a Polarizer. A measurement is usually spec'd on the lens somewhere, yes. If all else fails, look at the size of the lens cap.

Well, i did some research and found that the thread size is on the lens itself, and yes, i was talking about polarizer/IR/color filters

I have ordered my camera, i will post pics i take with it once i get it

08-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

congrats!
08-17-2010, 04:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Ah, I can go into my filter rant now?

QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote
Well, i did some research and found that the thread size is on the lens itself, and yes, i was talking about polarizer/IR/color filters
I use my DA18-55 mostly to hang filters upon for interesting effects. Here's a filter overview. These filters are of some general use, and can't be applied in PP:

* clear glass to protect the lens from flying dirt, sand, mud & blood & beer
* PL (polarizer) and CPL (circular PL) to cut glare and reflections, and boost sky contrast
--- CPL+PL or two CPL's make a variable deep ND filter
* ND (neutral density) to slow down your shutter (for flowing water etc)
* GND (graduated ND) for shooting high-contrast scenes, like bright sky and dark ground
* split diopter (half is magnified, half isn't) extends DOF, sort of

Then there are the color filters I use for "spectrum slicing", working with limited subsets of light. I use IR-pass and standard B&W filters mostly on my 5mpx Sony DSC-V1 'Night'Shot' P&S which has extended spectral sensitivity. Such can be used on a Kx for experimentation. (Search the forums for INFRARED for more.) But on my K20D I'm more likely to use a blue or violet filter to emulate the 'actinic' (UV-violet-blue) light seen by early B&W film emulsions, and a Yellow filter when shooting glaring colored neon lights at night.

And that's the skinny on filters. I should write an article some day.
08-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
to OP, you already ordered your camera so sharing my experience may be too late, but here it is

I was set on the K-x as my first DSLR, and I originally got the single lens kit, and then exchanged it for the dual lens with 50-200 because i read on this forum that for $100 more the DA L 50-200 is a bargain, which is true if you shoot in that range.

as I take more pictures, i realized i mostly shoot in the 25-85 range (pix from both kit lenses), and due to laziness, I have the 18-55 kit on 90% of the time, thus missing out on the longer end. if I new better, the $100 coulda been saved towards the Tamron 28-75...

my conclusion is, unless you know you will use the 50-200, for absolute beginners, the freebie 18-55 is the way to go

08-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macky112 Quote
to OP, you already ordered your camera so sharing my experience may be too late, but here it is

I was set on the K-x as my first DSLR, and I originally got the single lens kit, and then exchanged it for the dual lens with 50-200 because i read on this forum that for $100 more the DA L 50-200 is a bargain, which is true if you shoot in that range.

as I take more pictures, i realized i mostly shoot in the 25-85 range (pix from both kit lenses), and due to laziness, I have the 18-55 kit on 90% of the time, thus missing out on the longer end. if I new better, the $100 coulda been saved towards the Tamron 28-75...

my conclusion is, unless you know you will use the 50-200, for absolute beginners, the freebie 18-55 is the way to go
good thing i switched to the 18-55 lens kit with an 8GB Fujifilm SD card and a Giottos Rocket Blower.
08-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I have ordered my camera, i will post pics i take with it once i get it
You may want to try and save some money here. I would suggest you buy the largest polarizer you think you will need within reason. That is, once you decide you are going to buy a zoom, buy the polarizer to fit That. Then get step up rings to mount it to your smaller lenses. If the kit is it, then get the 52mm CPL (buy a decent one, don't skimp here). Most prime lenses have a 49mm thread or a 52mm thread so you should be good to go (mostly).

08-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #22

Original Poster
Camera is coming on Monday, in the meantime i have the photo bug so i'm taking pictures of anything i can find with my Dimage Z1 3.2MP camera just for fun.

Here is a picture of a flower i found by my girlfriends house.

Its HARD to get proper focus when the only way to manually focus is by pushing buttons and looking at the image on a ONE INCH view screen.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DiMAGE Z1  Photo 
08-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #23
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Just like using the BIN (buy it now) box on a well known Internet auction site.

08-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #24
Forum Member

Hmmm, having the slightest doubts now. I have ordered the KX with the 55-300, but seems like some are saying the range with that and the 18-55 is not quite right.

I haven't been able to switch my mind over to digital focal lengths, so I am still on 35mm thinking. The 35-70 on my SF-1 never seems quite wide enough, and my 80-200 was sometimes a little short.

Too late now though, it should arrive in about a week, I will just experiment and see how these work...
08-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not sure what you mean about the range being "not quite right". Who said anything like that? The practically unanimous opinion expressed virtually every time this subject comes up (as it does abut once a week at least) is that the K-x + 18-55 + 55-300 kit is by far the best deal in the entire DSLR world.
08-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #26
Veteran Member

First DSLR

The 18-55 kit is great to start with. When I purchased my KX, I got the 18-55 and 50-200 kit but after using the camera for three months I ended up selling both lenses and bought the sigma 18-200. It is a great lens for outdoors and it I love the built quality of Sigma.
I agree with the posts above, use the camera with the kit, get to know it first and then you'll decide on more lenses.

agsy
08-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Not sure what you mean about the range being "not quite right". Who said anything like that? The practically unanimous opinion expressed virtually every time this subject comes up (as it does abut once a week at least) is that the K-x + 18-55 + 55-300 kit is by far the best deal in the entire DSLR world.
As I re-read my post, I see what you mean. I was just referring to the fact that some are saying that they needed a lens that was between the two, such as 25-85. But that's why these can be changed.

I too think that package is the best around, as I have been looking for a while.
08-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Dumb Question Time:

How do you tell what size filters to get? I know the kit lens is 52mm from reading about it. Does the lens usually have a measurement on the end to tell you?
There is a number on the lens with O with / through it. That is the diameter of the filter threads.