Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #1

Help me! Should i pull the trigger?!?!

I've got a Pentax K-X dual lens kit 18-55mm + 50-200mm and a 4 gigabyte Class 6 SD card in the shopping cart at B&H.

Should i do it?!?! I dont know if i should!!!

What should i do?!?

PS: i cannot afford the kit with the 300mm lens, my budget limit is $650

08-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Without more information this is obviously impossible to answer. I'm moving this to the beginner's forum.
08-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
Lol, ok, here goes.

I've been researching SLR cameras for the last month, i ended up here after my search where i decided to get a Pentax K-x.

Should i just get the "plain" kit with just the 18-55mm lens and find/buy an older lens for my zoom wants?

hmmm, the double zoom kit has been removed from my cart and replaced by the single lens kit.

Still not gonna push the checkout button until someone comes in with some advice.
08-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a lot of longer zoom options you can look at later. Frankly, I never found the 50-200 to be long enough when I had one. That doesn't make it a bad choice, that was just my feeling about the lens. If you are completely new to this game, I would suggest the basic kit (camera and 18-55) especially if money is tight. There are other things you're going to need as well. Batteries, bag, you may find yourself lusting after a tripod, and all the other gazintas.

Get your kit, at least one complete change of batteries (8 total) a good charger, the card and maybe even two, something to carry it all in, a lens cleaning kit, etc. Then hit google, this forum, the library, and the great outdoors to learn to use your new toy. Key word, learn about Exposure (if you don't already know). If the kit lens with the Kx is optically the same as the one on the K7, it's actually a decent performer.

Now all you have to decide is What color!

Welcome to the Pentax dSLR club.

08-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had bought my K7 also only with the 18-55 lens, and later bought the 50-200 at ebay for half of the retail price.
And if you want to save some extra money, check the local flee markets for a camera bag. I bought several already and the most expensive camera bag i bough was a huge 5 dollars

It really is incredable how much very nice camera bags can be found at the local flee markets.
And if you're lucky, even some nice lensen can be found. I also bought at the same fleemarket a sigma 70-210 for 15 dollars. Ok, it is not the best lens you can find on the market, but i am very sure it will be the best lens for the money that can be found anywhere
08-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've told this story before: I've been shooting a long long time (but never Pentax), quit film around 1990, went digital in 2002, got my first dSLR a couple years ago, a move up from my 5mp Sony DSC-V1 'NightShot" P&S. I asked myself, "What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have?" and the answers were: ultrawide, ultralong, and low light. So I looked at lenses first, and the DA10-17 fit the bill. That (and user reviews) drove me to the K20D, then the FA50/1.4 and DA18-250. I didn't get a kit; I got the lenses I *wanted*. (Later I got the 18-55, CHEAP.) And ~80+ lenses later, those three are still what I use most, sometimes with a Zenitar 16/2.8 replacing the slower 10-17. Throw in a Nikkor 85/2 and a Raynox DCR-250, and I've got my basic minimal kit.

My problem with a two-lens kit like the 18-55, and a 50-200 or 55-300, is that I do mucho shooting between 40-80mm, and those kits would either have me constantly swapping lenses at 55mm, or ignoring either the low or high end. The 18-250 ends up with ~90% of my shots. It's just so utilitarian!! I also have the 18-55 and a Tamron A-type 60-300, but they don't see much action as a pair. (No, my 28- and 35- and 40-80's don't get much use either.)

What you do depends on your desires and obsessions. You've decided you want the Kx, and that's great, hard to beat. But for lenses: do you want to pay for glass *you* want, or glass someone wants to sell you? SUCH A DEAL!! Yeah, you can't buy a Kx body alone for less than with the 18-55, so that's a freebie. Beyond that, think of what you want to do, and what lenses will help you do that. Maybe you GOTTA have an 8mm fisheye, a 55/1.2 speed demon, a DFA 100 WR macro, a 1000mm mirror. Great! Will an AF 50-200 fill your needs? Great! It's certainly easier to use than any of my manual 70-210's, each of which cost me... US$9. Including shipping. Look on the bay. You can still get A70-210/4's cheap, or the incomparable classic Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5, either of which can be had for under US$50.

So, my suggestion: If you don't want to spring for a DA or Tamron 18-250, think hard about a Fast Fifty (AF or manual) and a cheap great manual long zoom. Those will keep you busy awhile.
08-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
There are a lot of longer zoom options you can look at later. Frankly, I never found the 50-200 to be long enough when I had one. That doesn't make it a bad choice, that was just my feeling about the lens. If you are completely new to this game, I would suggest the basic kit (camera and 18-55) especially if money is tight. There are other things you're going to need as well. Batteries, bag, you may find yourself lusting after a tripod, and all the other gazintas.

Get your kit, at least one complete change of batteries (8 total) a good charger, the card and maybe even two, something to carry it all in, a lens cleaning kit, etc. Then hit google, this forum, the library, and the great outdoors to learn to use your new toy. Key word, learn about Exposure (if you don't already know). If the kit lens with the Kx is optically the same as the one on the K7, it's actually a decent performer.

Now all you have to decide is What color!

Welcome to the Pentax dSLR club.

Thanks for the advice!!
I forgot to mention that i had just purchased 8 Eneloop batteries and a charger, and i already have a tripod. However in my excitement about ordering a camera i completely forgot about a lens AND sensor cleaning kit, and a rocket blower.

Sadly, i will be using a 5 year old "case logic" camcorder bag from Wal-Mart until i get enough money to buy a Crumpler 4 MDH or a National Geographic 2345 bag.

Edit: Color is black, unless i can get the Olive or Beige for the same price somewhere i dont know about

08-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I've told this story before: I've been shooting a long long time (but never Pentax), quit film around 1990, went digital in 2002, got my first dSLR a couple years ago, a move up from my 5mp Sony DSC-V1 'NightShot" P&S. I asked myself, "What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have?" and the answers were: ultrawide, ultralong, and low light. So I looked at lenses first, and the DA10-17 fit the bill. That (and user reviews) drove me to the K20D, then the FA50/1.4 and DA18-250. I didn't get a kit; I got the lenses I *wanted*. (Later I got the 18-55, CHEAP.) And ~80+ lenses later, those three are still what I use most, sometimes with a Zenitar 16/2.8 replacing the slower 10-17. Throw in a Nikkor 85/2 and a Raynox DCR-250, and I've got my basic minimal kit.

My problem with a two-lens kit like the 18-55, and a 50-200 or 55-300, is that I do mucho shooting between 40-80mm, and those kits would either have me constantly swapping lenses at 55mm, or ignoring either the low or high end. The 18-250 ends up with ~90% of my shots. It's just so utilitarian!! I also have the 18-55 and a Tamron A-type 60-300, but they don't see much action as a pair. (No, my 28- and 35- and 40-80's don't get much use either.)

What you do depends on your desires and obsessions. You've decided you want the Kx, and that's great, hard to beat. But for lenses: do you want to pay for glass *you* want, or glass someone wants to sell you? SUCH A DEAL!! Yeah, you can't buy a Kx body alone for less than with the 18-55, so that's a freebie. Beyond that, think of what you want to do, and what lenses will help you do that. Maybe you GOTTA have an 8mm fisheye, a 55/1.2 speed demon, a DFA 100 WR macro, a 1000mm mirror. Great! Will an AF 50-200 fill your needs? Great! It's certainly easier to use than any of my manual 70-210's, each of which cost me... US$9. Including shipping. Look on the bay. You can still get A70-210/4's cheap, or the incomparable classic Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5, either of which can be had for under US$50.

So, my suggestion: If you don't want to spring for a DA or Tamron 18-250, think hard about a Fast Fifty (AF or manual) and a cheap great manual long zoom. Those will keep you busy awhile.
So my second guess was right, just get the 18-55 kit, then buy some cheap older lenses online, local pawn shops, and/or relatives that used to shoot a Pentax
08-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote
Thanks for the advice!!
I forgot to mention that i had just purchased 8 Eneloop batteries and a charger, and i already have a tripod. However in my excitement about ordering a camera i completely forgot about a lens AND sensor cleaning kit, and a rocket blower.

Sadly, i will be using a 5 year old "case logic" camcorder bag from Wal-Mart until i get enough money to buy a Crumpler 4 MDH or a National Geographic 2345 bag.

Edit: Color is black, unless i can get the Olive or Beige for the same price somewhere i dont know about
You're welcome. That Case Logic bag will keep the dust off your camera when not being used. As much as I like to spend other people's money, it kind of bugs me to see folks tell the new guy to run out and spend thousands on lenses he/she may not use or even want. Learn to use your camera, pick up bargains where you can (but before mounting any third party lenses, check to make sure the Ricoh pin {google it} is absent, not all lenses have them). Then decide where your Needs lie.

08-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I ordered the same kit as you have now....or may have if you don't change your mind. I have had it for a few weeks now and am completly satisfied with the lenses and simply amazed with the camera. The kit lenses are good enough to start with, the 200 is fine to use and gives enough reach to have fun with. I think if I do want that extra 100mm on the long end, I will get the Tameron 70-300 which I have heard good things about and it is only around $150. Maybe if I get that I will try to off my kit 50-200 to offset the price but I dont know. Right now I am satisfied with what I have though and impressed with the 200 enough to not have it's replacement at the top of my list. I think I will get a prime before I go for the Tameron or maybe get a few of the older lenses just to have fun. Makes me feel like I am in touch with the past if I get the legacy lenses that exist. Just my 2 cents but I would go for what you are getting now.
08-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

18-55 kit - free

Pentax M50mm f1.7 for lowlight, creative purposes - USD 20-40

55-300 Pentax - USD 250 (or the mucho cheapo USD 150 Sigma 70-300 Macro) or USD 300 Tamron 18-250 (i secont RioRico for the utility of this lens)

Good luck and welcome to Pentax world
08-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You're welcome. That Case Logic bag will keep the dust off your camera when not being used. As much as I like to spend other people's money, it kind of bugs me to see folks tell the new guy to run out and spend thousands on lenses he/she may not use or even want. Learn to use your camera, pick up bargains where you can (but before mounting any third party lenses, check to make sure the Ricoh pin {google it} is absent, not all lenses have them). Then decide where your Needs lie.

hehe, i only have 17 posts now, but doing research i lurked 10-20 pages back on the forums and read most of the stickies, read and printed out instructions on removing the pin on dpreview.

i was caught in the excitement of having a zoom right out of the box, but after thinking about it, i never zoomed in that close with my megazoom (for its time) Minolta so its not something i need at this moment, but will definitely buy on the cheap when i get the chance
08-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #13
Inactive Account

hehe, i only have 17 posts now, but doing research i lurked 10-20 pages back on the forums and read most of the stickies, read and printed out instructions on removing the pin on dpreview.

i was caught in the excitement of having a zoom right out of the box, but after thinking about it, i never zoomed in that close with my megazoom (for its time) Minolta so its not something i need at this moment, but will definitely buy on the cheap when i get the chance
Well Hell! You're all set! Show us some pictures when you have your camera..

BTW, I read reviews and opinions and specs for at least 6 months before I 'pulled the trigger'. I bought my K10d, put my FA50 f1.4 on it, and the first 200 photos, were absolute crap. Seems I forgot to learn to use the camera first. Which is why I give the advice I do now.

08-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #14

Original Poster
Dumb Question Time:

How do you tell what size filters to get? I know the kit lens is 52mm from reading about it. Does the lens usually have a measurement on the end to tell you?
08-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Dumb Question Time:

How do you tell what size filters to get? I know the kit lens is 52mm from reading about it. Does the lens usually have a measurement on the end to tell you?
Forget the filters. Buy a hood instead. The Kx kit lens doesn't come with one. I will let the Kx owners comment on which one to get. UNLESS, you want to get a Polarizer. A measurement is usually spec'd on the lens somewhere, yes. If all else fails, look at the size of the lens cap.