Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #1

K-x HDR Shooting

Hi

I just got my new two lenses K-x kit. I am trying to learn its features as much as I can before I go to travel with it in two weeks...
I wanted to ask about the HDR shooting option - what is the difference between the "standard" and "strong" modes? Is it just a different set of parameters to the HDR algorithm or can you tell me more about the difference?

Thanks,
Yotam

08-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What HDR does is it will take 3 pictures, 1 under exposed, 1 correctly exposed and 1 over exposed and will merge them into one picture. This will help bring out the color vibrance, shadow highlights and detail rendering. Standard is, I think, about 1-2 steps in both over and under exposing while strong will go further than that.
08-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #3

I don't know the specifics, but I usually bracket the shot on my own in addition to taking the shot with both normal and strong on the K-x. Then if either of the K-x's HDR doesn't turn out, I can play with creating the HDR image using the bracketed shots in PaintShop Pro.

It depends on the scene whether strong looks more natural than normal. Sometimes, one of the options will produce a halo effect around contrasting objects in the scene while the other will not.

Here's one of my first in-camera HDR. This was taken with the strong setting. Wish I would have backed up a little to get more of the tree's shadow in the frame.... but I was using the picnic table as my tripod.

08-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #4

I hate to post this, but for me the in-camera HDR feature in the K-X is the most disappointing thing on the camera. In theory it is a great idea but I have not gotten a result that I am happy with.

Even when the camera is locked down on a heavy tripod, I get "ghosting" of images.

If you want to try the In-camera HDR, make sure you use a remote instead of pushing the shutter. For some reason the timer is not available when doing HDR, that would be a big help.

I would suggest if you are interested in HDR, read up on it and use bracketing and then a program like Photoamtix to put your images together.

08-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your answers!

Actually, I happened to be a computer science grad student and during one of the courses I recently took we wrote an application that does the work pretty good. I would be happy to see if it works on my own photos... In general I do not like the in-camera effects as the computer can do them much better (and faster).

My question is - what is bracketing? Is it the immediate shooting of the same scene with different exposures? How do I do that in my K-x?

Thanks,
Yotam
08-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #6

I had not seen this site until I did a search for K-x and HDR, but this seems like a pretty good explanation on how to bracket with the K-X and then use those images to make a HDR image.

How to take photos with the Pentax K-x | kxuser.com
08-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
I hate to post this, but for me the in-camera HDR feature in the K-X is the most disappointing thing on the camera. In theory it is a great idea but I have not gotten a result that I am happy with.

Even when the camera is locked down on a heavy tripod, I get "ghosting" of images.
Looks like i'm not alone, was wondering what went wrong.
08-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I actually don't mind HDR, this was my first try of it yesterday. It was an experimental shot, so don't expect anything exciting

Last edited by NicoleAu; 08-17-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Picked Thumbnail only by mistake
08-18-2010, 12:02 AM   #9

Original Poster
thanks again to all of you. as usual you were an excellent source of information.
i beleive i will soon have a new question
08-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #10

It can be hard to get clear shot without ghosting while on a tripod even with the remote control. The mirror flipping in the K-x is sort of violent and really moves the camera around. I chimped on the first few that i took and saw the ghosting. When I weighted the camera down with one hand while i tripped the shutter it consistently produced the clearest shots. I have a remote shutter and have to say that doesn't help much. You really need to secure the camera quite a bit to keep it from moving.
08-19-2010, 03:36 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hemi345 Quote
It can be hard to get clear shot without ghosting while on a tripod even with the remote control. The mirror flipping in the K-x is sort of violent and really moves the camera around. I chimped on the first few that i took and saw the ghosting. When I weighted the camera down with one hand while i tripped the shutter it consistently produced the clearest shots. I have a remote shutter and have to say that doesn't help much. You really need to secure the camera quite a bit to keep it from moving.
Too bad you can't set the 2 seconds timer that flips the mirror and then waits - together with the bracketing mode...
08-19-2010, 06:15 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by yotam Quote
Too bad you can't set the 2 seconds timer that flips the mirror and then waits - together with the bracketing mode...
You should add that idea to the KX firmware thread.
08-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrCyberdude Quote
You should add that idea to the KX firmware thread.
I didn't know there is one and that it's possible to do that. Will do.