Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

The Green Ring

Hi all,

Hopefully a simple question but does the green ring on pentax lenses actually mean anything? Only reason I ask is that store photos I've seen of the DA 55-300mm sold separately seem to have the green ring, but when it's included as a kit lens it seems to have a grey ring.

Are these different lenses or are they the same?

08-18-2010, 03:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax DA lenses have green rings, while Pentax DA L lenses have grey ones. It's just a decoration, though!

The functional difference between DA and DA L lenses is that DA L lenses do not feature quick-shift focus adjustment or a distance scale on the focusing ring, and they have plastic mounts rather than metal ones.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-18-2010, 04:01 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the info, it all makes sense now! Strange I never noticed the extra "L". The DA version seems to be twice as expensive as the DA L, so unless the image quality is also worse it seems (at least to me) you're paying a lot for minor(???) features.

I can't see the lack of a distance scale on the focusing ring being a big issue, but is the lack of metal mounts and quick-shift focus adjustments a deal breaker for some people? Or am I missing something (I'm pretty new to all this).
08-18-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, after having done a bit more research I didn't realise the DA L was only available in kits.

So I guess my only real question is, if you did have the choice between a DA L 55-300mm and a DA 55-300mm that costs twice as much, which would you go for?

08-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the DA 55-300 and use quick-shift focus often. The L does not come with a lens hood either, AFAIK.
I also prefer metal mounts so yes, I think the non L is worth the 300.00+
Cheers, Mike.
08-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Stiv Quote
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the info, it all makes sense now! Strange I never noticed the extra "L". The DA version seems to be twice as expensive as the DA L, so unless the image quality is also worse it seems (at least to me) you're paying a lot for minor(???) features.

I can't see the lack of a distance scale on the focusing ring being a big issue, but is the lack of metal mounts and quick-shift focus adjustments a deal breaker for some people? Or am I missing something (I'm pretty new to all this).

I don't think I would call the lack of a $50 hood, lack of quick shift, and a plastic mount, Minor features. People use such lenses for ever and are perfectly happy with them but the differences Are significant.

08-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Just to muddy the water a bit, my Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED has got a green ring around the hood, but that's just there for cool good looks.

08-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your comments, it has helped me a lot! I didn't realise the lens hood was also a feature of the DA. Even so, I'm fairly budget concious at the moment after blowing all my money on a K7 so the DA L is still on the cards.

Cheers!