Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2010, 03:25 AM   #1

Should I buy a UV filter?

Hi,
I am planning to go travel at the Pyrenees mountains in a couple of weeks. I was wondering whether to buy a UV filter for my K-x or not.
I've understood that UV light is more common in higher areas so I think it may help there. Is there any other advantage of it? Are there any disadvantages?

Is shooting with a UV filter different than without?

Can you recommend on some manufacturers / models?

Thanks,
Yotam

08-19-2010, 03:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Filters are known to induce flare.

IF you want to use a filter, buy a very good one.
Possibly also a light yellow filter might work.
Also try a polarizer.
08-19-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

UV filters = flare magnets, imo, nevertheless they offer protection for your lens, that's why I often use the hood.

rather get a polarizer,
08-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I only use UV filter in the harshest of conditions for protection only, like blowing sand, otherwise run naked and use a lens hood for front end element protection.

The introduction of another layer of glass / plastic in front of the lens could possibly degrade your image. You nearly always adjust in PP what the UV filter used to do in the old film days.

08-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I only use a circular polarizer or GND filter. I figure why put some cheap glass in front of my expensive glass. For protection I use the lens hoods.
08-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Whether or not there is more UV light at higher elevations doesn't matter unless someone can produce evidence that having too much UV light in your choice causes problems. Anyhow, I've shot at over 14,000 feet (4300 meters) with no filters can't say that UV light caused any issues; not sure how high you'll be.
08-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by R.Miller Quote
I only use a circular polarizer or GND filter. I figure why put some cheap glass in front of my expensive glass. For protection I use the lens hoods.
I concur.

08-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its more dependable than the Atomic Clock that there will be a point/counter-point thread on UV/protection filters every 6 weeks.
08-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Its more dependable than the Atomic Clock that there will be a point/counter-point thread on UV/protection filters every 6 weeks.
I make it every 3 weeks, maximum.

UV-block filters protect the paychecks of those selling them, and nobody else. With the rarest exceptions, the layers atop digital sensors block UV light. Film is sensitive to UV; digital is sensitive to IR, and again with the rarest exceptions, IR-blocking "hot filters" sit atop all digital sensors. If you'll be in an environment of airborne sand & dirt & dust, of swirling mud & blood & beer, use a clear glass filter. Otherwise don't.

Useful filters:

* Clear glass, but only when it would be madness NOT to use it
* PL (polarizer), CPL (circular PL), to reduce glare and reflections, and enhance sky contrast
--- Two CPL's, or a PL+CPL, make a variable ND filter
* ND (neutral density), to slow-down the shutter
* GND (graduated ND), for shooting a bright sky over a dark foreground, etc
* Split-diopter, to appear to extend the DOF (half is magnified, half ain't)

Specialized filters:

* Yellow, for glaring colored neon lights at night
* Red, for enhanced detail in B&W shooting
* Blue or Violet, to emulate earliest photographic emulstions
* IR (InfraRed-pass), for shooting mysterious spectra

All other filtration AFAIK can be done digitally, in-camera or in PP.
08-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
* Clear glass, but only when it would be madness NOT to use it
I can accept everything except on an item I end up adding every 3-6 weeks on these threads. I shoot 99% of the time, every single day, within 50' of salt water be it ocean or calm canal. With no blowing sand in the marsh, I still use high quality Hoya UV/Protection and CPL filters that have obvious pitted coatings after less than a dozen outings and a couple cleanings of salt water film. I will happily give up whatever IQ you judge to keep my DA*300/4 front element from looking like the filters. Again, this is NOT a blowing sand issue, no breaking waves, no boating, just walking along the banks.

But nobody should make up somebody else's mind. You research, then try it yourself, then decide where truth fits with your requirements. Am I protecting paychecks or front elements? Beats the hell outta me.
08-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #11

Original Poster
thanks guys, I guess I don't need a UV filter. I'll get a hood and maybe a polarizer...
08-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
While this is true, the question posed in this thread is of a different sort than most - not someone wondering whether they should use a UV filter for protection, but wondering whether shooting high altitude might be a reason to actually use a UV filter for UV purposes. That's not a question that comes up very often at all, and I don't know that I've ever seen any sort of real discussion of that.
08-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
While this is true, the question posed in this thread is of a different sort than most - not someone wondering whether they should use a UV filter for protection, but wondering whether shooting high altitude might be a reason to actually use a UV filter for UV purposes. That's not a question that comes up very often at all, and I don't know that I've ever seen any sort of real discussion of that.
Agreed. But none of use could allow the general theme to go by unscathed

Best of luck Yotam with finding some great shots and I hope to see a few posted!
08-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks imtheguy, I hope I will get some nice shots. I don't have the time to practice before that travel so these gonna be my very first shots with my first DSLR...
08-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

FWIW.