Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frooggy Quote
You asked if there was any truth. I tried to help and gave a link.

The link I posted was basic information and proved it was real. Your repy was as such you were upset I didn't point to the article you had happened to read. Sorry.
Wrong, i grew up with people that threw sarcasm like this, and i can spot it a mile away, people don't realize they do it, but they do.

i realized right away that i was never gonna see the original article i found, i did not expect anyone here to find it

Originally posted by frooggy
So you want us to find the actual article you were reading, not explain how to do it? There are hundreds of how tos on this technique.

Dont know if you realize it, but you basically told me "why are you even asking us? go find out for yourself"

08-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote
Do they make 52mm 10stop ND filters? or do they only come in sheets you have to mount onto your camera, i notice that one above is 100mm x 100mm
Lee filters are square or rectangular (like Cokin) and are mounted via adapters. They're so chunky because they are designed to fit medium-format glass.
I think B&W make 10 stop filters in 52mm mounts - they certainly make them in larger fittings as I have one, although like Lee, they aren't cheap (although if youre serious, its always worth buying the best filters you can afford). If you buy, consider furure-proofing by buying a larger mount that might fit any future lenses and use a step-up ring to fit.
I seem to remember posts on this forum about using welding glass - I think there were serious colour-caste issues, but it might be worth trying to see if you like the effect.
08-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The first photo is a 15 minute exposure, during which I walked up to the lantern and removed a flash unit and also crossed the bridge twice in order to hang out over the edge with a flash on a monopod, illuminating the bridge by firing the flash a total of twenty times. It is sort of fun moving around in the scene of your photograph during the exposure, knowing you won't show up in it.

I'm using a K-x and as far as I can tell the longest exposure I can get is 30 seconds.
Am I missing something here?
Have tried in shutter and Aperture Priority modes and the K-x only lets me go a far as 30secs and no further. In manual mode it goes past 30 seconds to the word 'Bulb' (edit. in the shutter speed box). Do I require a fashgun for the K-x to allow more than 30 second exposures?

Btw. Cheers Mike. I liked both the shots :-)
08-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote

I'm using a K-x and as far as I can tell the longest exposure I can get is 30 seconds.
Am I missing something here?
Have tried in shutter and Aperture Priority modes and the K-x only lets me go a far as 30secs and no further. In manual mode it goes past 30 seconds to the word 'Bulb' (edit. in the shutter speed box). Do I require a fashgun for the K-x to allow more than 30 second exposures?

Btw. Cheers Mike. I liked both the shots :-)
No in bulb mode the shutter stays open as long as you hold the shutter release. If you want to do long exposure work you will need to get a remote or a trigger. But with the K-x there is no wired remote so you need to use the Pentax wireless remote.

Pentax Remote

08-24-2010, 02:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

So to do any thing like mike Cash describes... ie Walking across a bridge... I basically don't have the option?!
How far from camera can you wander using wireless remote before failure?
08-24-2010, 04:21 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
So to do any thing like mike Cash describes... ie Walking across a bridge... I basically don't have the option?!
How far from camera can you wander using wireless remote before failure?
If the wireless remote has a lock button on it you could leave the remote near the camera. I used a wired remote with a lock button.
08-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not have the KX, but I though I had read that it has a mode so that you could either 1) depress the IR and lock it until released; or 2) depress the IR to start the exposure and then depress the IR again to terminate the exposure. The manual should have the information on this.

08-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Is it this article?

Welding Glass (1/$1 ND Filter) Exposures - Canon Digital Photography Forums