Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 05:50 AM   #1

can't get apertue to f 3.5

Hi, I'm very new at this dslr. I'm trying to figure out the difference in aperture settings taking pic as I change it. My lenses should go to 3.5 but the lowest it will let me go is 5.6.

I have a K-x with DAL 1: 3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Dina

08-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lilcoco Quote
My lenses should go to 3.5 but the lowest it will let me go is 5.6.
The lens will only go down to f/3.5 on the wide end of the zoom range (18mm). At the long end (55mm) you will not be able go lower than f/5.6.
08-23-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
The lens will only go down to f/3.5 on the wide end of the zoom range (18mm). At the long end (55mm) you will not be able go lower than f/5.6.
This is correct. When a lens has an F stop range designation of 3.5-5.6, that means that it is a variable aperture lens. depending on what focal length you set the lens to, its minimum aperture will change (as stated above, at 18mm it will go to f3.5, at 55mm it will be minimum f5.6).

To show yourself how this works, set the lens at 18mm, and using aperture priority mode change it to f3.5. Then, zoom the lens out to 55mm, and you can watch the aperture changing as you zoom out.
08-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What the others have said.

If you want your aperture to remain constant throughout the zoom range, you'll need a different lens capable of doing so. Any of the f2.8 zooms will do. That, or set your aperture to f5.6 and then your aperture will stay constant on your kit zoom.