Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Metz just announced that they have an upgrade for the AF 48 (AF 50-1) coming out soon that will work as a master unit. Don't know how much more it will cost than the 48, but I'm waiting for it.
DPReview Press Release

08-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Metz just announced that they have an upgrade for the AF 48 (AF 50-1) coming out soon that will work as a master unit. Don't know how much more it will cost than the 48, but I'm waiting for it.
DPReview Press Release
The "work as a master unit" part is dpreview being confused by the poor translation from German. It works exactly the same as the 48-AF1, but is slightly more powerful. (About 8% more powerful.)

For Canon, Nikon, and Olympus/Panasonic, it has a new "servo" mode where it can be triggered as a manual slave by the on-board camera's flash, but they've disabled that for Pentax and Sony.

I think it will cost the same as the 48 AF-1, but it won't be available in the US until at least the end of September and possibly after that. (It took a good six months for the 36 AF-4 for Pentax to be easily available.)

So if you're thinking of waiting that long anyway, might as well get the new model, but if you want a flash now, I really wouldn't worry too much about 8%.
09-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I bought the Metz from B&H, and so far, so good. It isn't as complicated as some have said on this forum. Only four buttons to mess with, besides the on off switch. It really makes a big difference in my indoor shots. I wish that the firmware upgrade page would be compatible with My MAC, though. I do have a pc as well, but like to do most things on the MAC. Anyway, a question; is the firmware upgrade that necessary?
Thanks
09-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Got the Metz

Got the Metz this week. Playing with it now. So far, so good

09-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like Sigma just released couple new flashes few days ago and also Metz has released few more some days ago. Hope Pentax will have something to answer them soon.........

Can't wait too see mattdm to update his page and give us more in depth reviews on those new models.
09-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by taiweitai Quote
Can't wait too see mattdm to update his page and give us more in depth reviews on those new models.
Waiting to get pdf manuals, and ideally to see them appear in local stores so I can play with them. I'm not wealthy enough to buy samples, nor important enough to get sent them.
09-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the hard work ! I'm not even wealthy enough to buy the gas to drive down the store and test it !
09-30-2010, 11:16 PM   #23

im currently using af540fgz but im gonna sell it hahahhaa but sad for me only few pentax user here in philippines its dominated by nikon and canon hehehehe

maybe if your going to visit philippines you can check my flash hahahah im a noob using flash ^_^

af540fgz = a strong flash hahaha cant handle by my eye ^_^

10-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Metz QC problems?

After doing some research I opted for the Metz 58. After having to return two new units because of a burning smell (wasn't overloading it by firing it too many time in succession), I am sitting it out for a spell. I will wait for the Metz 50 af-1 though because I really don't like the plastic foot on the current flashes (Pentax or Metz in this regard). It was weird talking to the service dept. for the Metz. I reached one tech on the phone, who said I should absolutely return the flash since it should not emit a burning smell. Not long after, I received an email response from another tech stating that sometimes they do have a burning smell, but that it should dissipate after awhile with use. Who to believe? My suspicion is that the first tech was telling the truth and the second one figured it could be dealt with via the warranty at a later date. With the latter approach Metz doesn't have to provide a blanket acknowledgement of a quality control problem, but rather can just deal with it on a flash by flash basis. Bummer for the customers who have to eat the shipping cost of returning the defective ones to the retailer. I am still waiting for my refund from Tristate camera :-(
10-03-2010, 05:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
After doing some research I opted for the Metz 58. After having to return two new units because of a burning smell (wasn't overloading it by firing it too many time in succession), I am sitting it out for a spell. I will wait for the Metz 50 af-1 though because I really don't like the plastic foot on the current flashes (Pentax or Metz in this regard). It was weird talking to the service dept. for the Metz. I reached one tech on the phone, who said I should absolutely return the flash since it should not emit a burning smell. Not long after, I received an email response from another tech stating that sometimes they do have a burning smell, but that it should dissipate after awhile with use. Who to believe? My suspicion is that the first tech was telling the truth and the second one figured it could be dealt with via the warranty at a later date. With the latter approach Metz doesn't have to provide a blanket acknowledgement of a quality control problem, but rather can just deal with it on a flash by flash basis. Bummer for the customers who have to eat the shipping cost of returning the defective ones to the retailer. I am still waiting for my refund from Tristate camera :-(
Did you talk to Metz or to Bogen / Manfrotto Distribution?
10-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #26
Veteran Member

What does "coal fired" mean?

......deleted.......