Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get a tripod if
1. You intend to do a lot of long exposures
2. You have some problem holding the camera steady for any amount of time.
3. If you intend to put yourself into your photos often (self portraits to show you were actually there).

If number 2 is your main need for a tripod, a monopod will work. Otherwise, save your money and look for creative solutions to hold your camera if need be. I say this because you really don't want to skimp on a tripod. A weak and wobbly one will cause more frustration than it will cure.

Play with some free processing software. PSP and Elements are dirt cheap for what they do. GIMP is even cheaper (free) and does many of the same things. I don't have experience with Aperture (Mac app, correct?) so I couldn't advise on it. When you decide what you cannot do for free, then pick the application that does it.

Batteries, can never have too many. You'll need them for an external flash if you get one and it never hurts to have a change (even if you Can get 1100 shots out of a single charge).

For your K100, the class 2 cards are probably fine. You aren't likely to trip them up with the camera buffer. If you're wanting a larger card, go for the class 6 just because you can.

Case, backpack, pick the one that carries your stuff. Can't help with specific brands though I do like my Tamrak (but loaded, it weighs over 30 pounds) however, I don't do any hiking of any sort. Can't get there by car or a short walk, I don't go.

There is no particular order, eventually you're going to end up with all of it. You have the camera, the lenses, a way to carry it, something to power it, and something to record the photos on, start with the software if you need a push on where to start spending your money.

08-24-2010, 07:46 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks SpecialK, Lowell Goudge, and RioRico for your suggestions! I'm definitely going to pick up more Eneloops, and a BC-700 charger. Still not sure on PP Software. I plan on using iPhoto on my mac and it seems like it will be straightforward and simple...any reason not to go with that for the time being? Paint.net unfortunately is only for Windows computers (I'm running on a macbook).

Thanks to you too JeffJS! Sorry I didn't see your post earlier!

Last edited by ninemm; 08-24-2010 at 09:01 AM.
08-25-2010, 05:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ninemm Quote

1. SDHC Card (I have a 4GB class 2, but figure I need to upgrade to a class 6?)
2. Lens Cleaning Kit - Any recommendations?
3. Tri-Pod/Mono Pod(?) - I want to take some long exposures.
4. Camera Backpack - Thinking Kata Owl-272
5. More Eneloops
6. Filters? - ND/CP perhaps
7. PP Software - Aperture 3 maybe
You've gotten good feedback so far so most anything I would add would be somewhat repetative, but for what it's worth I would skip most of what's on the list for now until you've had a chance to play around with what you have.

1. I don't think you'll see much benefit from a faster card at this point. If at some point you upgrade to a newer DSLR, especially one with video, you'll need a faster card, but for now you should be fine.

2. This is a fairly inexpensive item, although as someone pointed out a good blower might be your better bet for cleaning lenses. I've actually never cleaned my sensor so I wouldn't even know how to advise you there.

3. You can probably hold off on the tripod unless you already know you have a need for one right away. That's not to say you shouldn't eventually get one, but a decent one will cost you a little bit and it's not something you'll want to have to replace because you bought a cheap/unstable one just to fit your budget.

4. As other have pointed out, if you only have one body and one lens, you probably don't need a backpack at this point. If you want one that's a different story. Either way, you're probably best off trying to find somewhere local to buy one so that you can see them in person as it's hard (for me at least) to shop for bags without seeing them in person.

5. Can't go wrong with more batteries. Even if you don't need them right away, you will at some point for a flash. In the meantime, you can use them just about anywhere else. I have several sets of AA and AAA hybrids that I used in flashlights, remotes and other stuff around the house.

6. Never been a filter guy, but you might find a CPL useful if you shoot outdoors a lot.

7. You can probably hold off here too for a little while. In the meantime, you could download a trial of Lightroom to see how you like it and if you think it would be worthwhile to buy.

As others have pointed out, a flash might also be something you'd want to add to the list and consider. A decent flash you can swivel and bounce off the walls and ceiling can help out a ton with indoor photographs. It was actually the first thing I bought after my first DSLR and lens.
08-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, you have the basics covered. You need SD cards, batterys, etc. A backpack isn't necessary for your kit right now unless you prefer a backpack over other styles of bag. They come in handy for things like lunch. Go out and take a whole bunch of pictures. You will get a pretty good idea of what you need after shooting with your new kit for a while. You might want to add a Rocket Blaster or similar gizmo for blowing the inevitable dust off your sensor.

08-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by ninemm Quote
4. Camera Backpack - Thinking Kata Owl-272
A non-camera backpack may be better. I tend to carry a lot more general stuff - spare clothing, water, binoculars, map, maybe some food or a small stove, something to sit on, books. If you are travelling by plane, you'll want to carry whatever you need for 12 hours (or however long the flight is).

Also, a generic backpack is arguably less of a target for thieves. A camera-specific one tells everyone you have several thousand dollars worth of kit in it. (Or will have, once you start buying lenses.)

In the category of "something to sit on", consider getting a large bin-liner or similar. Then you can kneel down to get a shot without worrying about it.
08-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks dgaies, reeftool, and Brangdon for your replies. Good idea with the bin-liner etc. That would be handy to have with you. The hikes I take are generally short day hikes, so large amounts of camping supplies aren't needed. I agree that a backpack that is obviously camera related might be a more tempting target for thieves.