Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

Equipment: What to get and when?

Hey Pentax Forums!

So, I've got my camera (K100DS) and lens (18-55mm ver1) and am wondering what other equipment/accessories I might need. I will have a camera strap, lens hood, and 4GB SDHS (class 2).

Below is a list of what I think I'll be needing. It would help if you could let me know what you think be best to buy sooner rather than later. Any recommendations for specific products would be helpful, or if you think I need something that I didn't list please add that too. Keep in mind I'm not rich, so no $500 tri-pods or $800 PP software programs.

Not looking to get more lenses right now so please no lens suggestions . I'll have a hard enough time resisting LBA without your nudges.

1. SDHC Card (I have a 4GB class 2, but figure I need to upgrade to a class 6?)
2. Lens Cleaning Kit - Any recommendations?
3. Tri-Pod/Mono Pod(?) - I want to take some long exposures.
4. Camera Backpack - Thinking Kata Owl-272
5. More Eneloops
6. Filters? - ND/CP perhaps
7. PP Software - Aperture 3 maybe

I really appreciate your help!
-Steve

08-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ninemm Quote
Hey Pentax Forums!

So, I've got my camera (K100DS) and lens (18-55mm ver1) and am wondering what other equipment/accessories I might need. I will have a camera strap, lens hood, and 4GB SDHS (class 2).

Below is a list of what I think I'll be needing. It would help if you could let me know what you think be best to buy sooner rather than later. Any recommendations for specific products would be helpful, or if you think I need something that I didn't list please add that too. Keep in mind I'm not rich, so no $500 tri-pods or $800 PP software programs.

Not looking to get more lenses right now so please no lens suggestions . I'll have a hard enough time resisting LBA without your nudges.

5. More Eneloops

-Steve
In my opinion there really isn't a correct answer because it is up to the photographer and people will always vary on what is more important. Any order for the list you have is good and one more very important item you should add is more lenses (but you can have that last on your list).

If I were in your shoes I would go in this order:
1. Software (I use this on pretty much all of my pics) and Aperture 3 is good.
2. Tri-Pod and Bag (this will be more important if you plan on bringing your camera around with you a lot, especially if hiking and for when you get more lenses).
3. Cleaning kit and Card
4. Batteries and filters. A CP filter is useful when you shoot during the middle of the day and a ND is only useful if you plan on shooting a lot of long exposures.
08-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #3

A fourm member posted a similar thread a couple of months ago when he bought a K-x, you might it helpful:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/106933-must-hav...ories-k-x.html
08-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
In my opinion there really isn't a correct answer because it is up to the photographer and people will always vary on what is more important. Any order for the list you have is good and one more very important item you should add is more lenses (but you can have that last on your list).

If I were in your shoes I would go in this order:
1. Software (I use this on pretty much all of my pics) and Aperture 3 is good.
2. Tri-Pod and Bag (this will be more important if you plan on bringing your camera around with you a lot, especially if hiking and for when you get more lenses).
3. Cleaning kit and Card
4. Batteries and filters. A CP filter is useful when you shoot during the middle of the day and a ND is only useful if you plan on shooting a lot of long exposures.
Thanks for your response. I figure it would vary widely from photographer to photographer. I'll be using iPhoto to get by in the beginning for PP etc. I want to take my camera with me everywhere and love to hike so a good bag is a must.

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
A fourm member posted a similar thread a couple of months ago when he bought a K-x, you might it helpful:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/106933-must-hav...ories-k-x.html
Thanks! I definitely looks like a good thread. I totally missed it when searching. Doh.

Edit: I forgot to mention I will be buying the books Understanding Exposure and also the Magic Lantern K100d guide very soon.

08-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Save money on tripod and PP software for a better glass or more Eneloops.

PP software: GIMP. Free. Many photoshop plug-ins are compatible with it.
Tripod: Dolica. The head is no Manfrotto, but works decently.
08-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aseno Quote
Save money on tripod and PP software for a better glass or more Eneloops.

PP software: GIMP. Free. Many photoshop plug-ins are compatible with it.
Tripod: Dolica. The head is no Manfrotto, but works decently.
I've heard of GIMP and will definitely look into it. Thanks for the link on the Dolica. That is inexpensive enough to buy soon. Epic long exposures will soon be mine!
08-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #7

I second the suggestion of the Dolica !! A surprisingly nice buy- comes with a great bag and an allen wrench for adjustments.

Good Luck!
08-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ninemm Quote
Hey Pentax Forums!

5. More Eneloops

-Steve
1) get a class 6 if you need to do a lot of action shots where you'll want to hit the button and keep it down I bought a class 6 right away and rarely use it because I normally only shoot 4-5 consecutive shots and a class 4 handles that just fine. My money was better spent on a set of 8 gb class 4 cards.
2) There's plenty out there. I bought a Nikon just because it had all the stuff. Check out Amazon, B&H, Adorama, etc. This will be one of the most vital tools you own...
3) This is, in my opinion, the second most important accessory to the cleaning kit. Again, plenty of options at wide price ranges. I have both a monopod and a tripod. Keep in mind tripods may or may not come with a tripod head - hence extra (but worthwhile) expense.
4) If you are lucky, you can go to a large camera shop and check out the options. You'll need one and probably get a couple before you find one that really works best for what you do. However, you can think through it (backpacking, day-hikes, walking the streets snapping shots, traveling, etc) all seem to have different backpacks and styles. I got a Naneu just because it covers my needs.
5) your call - I have no opinion on this
6) if you are doing lots of landscape and long exposures, get an ND. Keep in mind, it is another piece of glass you are putting between that expensive lens and what you are taking a picture of...Spend money to get a good one, but even a good one will somewhat degrade the picture
7) PP software is your third most important accessory.

I talked about accessories vs. camera equipment. I consider the camera and lenses as one in the same and not accessories. Everything else I consider an accessory (my odd way of looking at things). I rate the cleaning kit at the most important accessory because you will get dust and stuff on your lenses and not cleaning it will screw up every picture and possibly a day of good pictures. The tripod is second because your best pictures (as are most people's) will be taken from a tripod - so steady camera = better pictures. I rate the PP software as 3rd because the software makes no difference if you don't take good pictures to start with.

08-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the detailed response opiet70! I think I tend to agree with you on all points. Your odd way of looking at things makes sense to me too. So, on the cleaning kit...a generic "Nikon" one will do just fine? Thanks again!
08-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The cleaning kit should be something you can use for the sensor and the lens both, and the chemicals for the sensor are somewhat specific to the type of sensor, or at least were when I got mine, so you have to look into that. If you travel and you have a huge blob on your sensor that just won't come off you'll need to poke at it with something, and sometimes there is no substitue for wet cleaning.

Personally I think there is good enough software available for free, and when money is tight the priority should be enabling yourself to make pictures you can improve on with better software later.

I like my waist pack for the camera and three lenses, but when it comes to a backpack I have a generic $20 one that works ok. Again, with limited money available, I'd emphasize the image-making equipment.

You'd want a tripod that will reach to your eye height and still be reasonably steady, but that you'll be able to carry where you want (probably in the backpack.)

I know you said "no lenses", but I'd be looking for a 50-200 or 70-300 pretty soon.

Paul
08-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #11

Two suggestions that I don't think have not been made yet:

First is Paint.net as a PP solution. You can't beat the price (free) and I think it is easier to learn and use than GIMP, (I would also recommend Picasa as a way to manage your images, but I know some people would disagree).

Second is a remote control, the K100D will accept a wired remote but you can get an off brand wireless remote from ebay for less than $4 with shipping. A remote is useful if you want to do HDR or timed exposures.

One more item: as far as bags go, that is just something that you will have to figure out what works best for you. You will probably end up with several and still won't be able to find the perfect bag for every occasion. That is just the nature of photography. Buy and try it, if it is not what you are looking for, put it up for sale here or on eBay and find something else.

Have FUN!
08-23-2010, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Tibbitts and bigdog104. I hadn't heard of paint.net. I'll definitely give it a look. Have FUN is probably the best suggestion yet. I will definitely take that one to heart!
08-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I use Elements v6 (it's up to v8), but FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... has a free editor/converter I use when traveling with a netbook just for viewing.

Eneloops are inexpensive and you should get a set with a good peak charger like a LaCrosse BC-900 - not the 1 or 2 hour variety. Actually, the BC-900 came with Eneloops...

Cards are cheap. I'd get a couple 8GB Transcend Class 6 or SanDisk Ultra IIs. No sense in going overboard on speed as the camera is the limiting feature.

And a Giotto rocket blower. Big one to move a lot of air. Haven't had to wet clean the K20D yet (and turning off the camera when changing lenses makes a big difference).
08-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would drop the lens cleaning kit and just get a good and big blower. I would also hold off on the tripod. Batteries are a good extra as are memory cards, but don't get the fastest cards because you simply don't need them. You are better off getting cheap cards and spending the money saved on good batteries. You may also want to consider a flash.

A camera back pack is a waste at the moment because you only have one lens I would hold off on that and get a small shoulder bag in it's place.

When it comes to adding a second lens, and it will, look at extending range first and then replacing your kit lens if you feel it is not up to the job. This way you can do and learn much more

As cor software, I have used Corel's PSP since version 8 It is now at Version X3. It can read pentax raw files but also works very well with jpeg.
08-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

These are not ordered by priority:

* More batteries, good charger(s). You can't have too many batteries.
* You may soon find you want a good flash. That means more batteries.
* Light but sturdy tripod, and wired remote. Monopod is for longer lenses.
* More than one memory card, and a card-reader for your computer.
* Air blower, lens pen, and Official Pentax Sensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1.
* Use whatever bag you're comfortable with. I carry a teardrop Ameribag.
* A CPL filter is handy. ND's and GND's are more specialized. Wait on those.
* A Raynox DCR-150 or -250 is immensely useful for shooting tiny stuff.
* PP: I've used PaintShopPro (various versions) for about 15 years.

Your basic list, and most of the above suggestions, are pretty good. Have fun!