Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #1

Eneloop charger with GP baterries

Hi,

I an afraid this question was asked million times already but I couldn't find a clear answer when searching the forum:
Following the many recommendations here on Sanyo's Eneloops I just bought a charger and eight eneloops (eneloop charger with four + four pack). Then I thought it might have been redundant to get this charger as I already have three sets of 4 GP 2700mAh NiMH, and a GP NiMH charger.

As I already opened the charger I will not return it but I wanted to ask if it's OK to use it on GP batteries (or the opposite). I don't want to travel with two chargers...

Of course, on the Sanyo charger it's written "for Sanyo NiMH batteries only" and on GP charger it's written "for GP NiMH baterries only"

Anyone have tried that and didn't explode?

Thanks!
Yotam

08-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
quote from the Sanyo Eneloop site:
'In respect of charging, eneloop batteries can be treated like normal NiMH batteries. This means they can be charged with any modern charger, which is suitable for NiMH batteries.'

the Sanyo site were the quote comes from: SANYO eneloop | Ready to use Rechargeable Battery - The only battery you will ever need

somewhere else on this site I remember mentioning that other NiMH batteries can be charged with the Sanyo charger designed for Eneloops as well
08-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks, haven't thought of reading the website after finding these warnings in the charger's manual...
08-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The bottle of soy sauce on the table at the local Chinese restaurant has printed on it, "Refill only with Kikkoman". I'm pretty sure it's compatible with other brands too, though :-)

08-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The bottle of soy sauce on the table at the local Chinese restaurant has printed on it, "Refill only with Kikkoman". I'm pretty sure it's compatible with other brands too, though :-)
I don't know what is the chemical reaction of the Kikkoman leftovers when blended with some other brand...
08-25-2010, 05:56 AM   #6

One thing though, a friend of mine bought eneloops as well and charged them with a charger from another brand, a fast charger, and later told me that his eneloops seem to have lost some charge. They drain way too quickly now.

I couldn't verify it myself since we're on different continents now but just a possibility that I think you should be aware of.
08-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tjk911 Quote
One thing though, a friend of mine bought eneloops as well and charged them with a charger from another brand, a fast charger, and later told me that his eneloops seem to have lost some charge. They drain way too quickly now.

I use Sanyo Eneloops and have noticed power drains quicker when I use my Girlfriends quick charger too. However nikmethydryde batteries don't have memory, so once of twice a week I charge them up again with the eneloop charger and they're all good again an last a good 700 (ish) shots.

The eneloop charger does take forever though which is something of a bind!
08-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Fast chargers are considered non-optimal and indeed even harmful in general, regardless of brand of charger or battery. But my Eneloops have never seen an Eneloop-branded charger - nothing but a succession of third party chargers - and are still going strong after several years. My current charger (lacrosse) allow you to select the charging current level, and I usually use the lowest setting or at most the second lowest, but have *on occasion* used the fastest setting and lvied to tell the tale.

08-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
The eneloop charger does take forever though which is something of a bind!
I figured that out today. Maybe I'll take my GP charger (not a fast charger but seems to be faster than the Eneloop one) with me to my trip. I'll test that on the next few days and decide...
08-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Fast chargers are considered non-optimal and indeed even harmful in general, regardless of brand of charger or battery. But my Eneloops have never seen an Eneloop-branded charger - nothing but a succession of third party chargers - and are still going strong after several years. My current charger (lacrosse) allow you to select the charging current level, and I usually use the lowest setting or at most the second lowest, but have *on occasion* used the fastest setting and lvied to tell the tale.
Same here, mostly (BC-900 charger). A lower (and therefore slower) charge rate is best for longest battery life.