Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A fleck inside my camera?

When I look through my view finder, I can see a small black fleck in the view, it shows up in pictures too, as a small change in colour in the area that is in. Does anyone know how I get rid of this? I cleaned the lens, but I'm not sure if it is the lens? I tried live view and I can't spot the speck from that.

08-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
When I look through my view finder, I can see a small black fleck in the view, it shows up in pictures too, as a small change in colour in the area that is in. Does anyone know how I get rid of this? I cleaned the lens, but I'm not sure if it is the lens? I tried live view and I can't spot the speck from that.
If it shows up in your pics and you have already cleaned the lens then it is most likely on your sensor. If your camera has the option for "sensor cleaning", you can use that. It will flip up your mirror to expose your sensor then just use a rocket blower. That will get rid of it. I just did that to my camera last week and it worked perfectly.

**PS I like your Opera House picture.
08-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah ok, I don't actually have a rocket blower as yet, just the lenspen. Is there anything else I can use?

Thanks The colour one?
08-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would really wait until you get a blower. Go get one right now, haha.

Definitely do not used compressed air in a can.

You can gently use your breath, but you run the risk of putting spit/moisture on the sensor so if you go this route just blow gently.

**Yes the color one. I like it because you can see more detail than the BW one, but both are nice.

08-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

if you see it in the viewfinder then it can't be on the sensor, if it's in the pictures it can't be on the mirror, it must be the lens

right?
08-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
if you see it in the viewfinder then it can't be on the sensor, if it's in the pictures it can't be on the mirror, it must be the lens

right?
Right. I did not think about that. The viewfinder sees whats on the mirror and the picture sees whats on the sensor and lens.

Nicole, did you clean the front and back element of the lens? If so then it might be inside your lens and in that case it will be really hard to clean.
08-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When I look inside my camera, I can see a tiny tiny white thing up the top inside where the reflective white thing is - I have a K-x. How do I get that off?
08-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the speck is a fuzzy dark gray blob on all the images in the same location more or less, it is dust on the sensor. It is easier to see when it is located in the sky portion of images, and when using a small aperture like f8 or f16.

The sensor-shaking cleaning function is your first means of cleaning the sensor.

If that fails, a big rocket blower that moves a lot of air is your next tool. Squeeze it a few times when the mirror is down, then flip up the mirror and give it another 10 squeezes or so. Do not put it inside the camera.

If that fails, then you are up for some contact cleaning, such as with the lens pen. After that is the wet-cleaning if it is a really stubborn sticky spot. I've wet-cleaned the K100D a couple times without a problem.

If that fails, I guess it is time for professional assistance.

Luckily, most spots are easy enough to clone out with a click or two in your editing program.

The best prevention I've found, besides a dust-free changing area (good luck, there) is to turn off the camera while changing lens to reduce the electrical attraction to the sensor. I do that all the time with the K20D and have never needed anything beyond the blower.

If it is nice and sharp black speck or line you see in the viewfinder but does not show in the images, it is on the focusing screen. That does not matter much unless it just bothers you. I imagine many of us have an ugly-looking screen.

Almost any speck on the lens will not appear in images.

08-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

But she said she can see it in the viewfinder and in her pics. But from her last post it sounds like she is describing the fleck is on her viewfinder so she actually might have 2 different flecks of dust.

I would do an all around clean. Flip up your mirror and blow the sensor with a blower, clean the front and back of the lens and use the blower on the viewfinder too.
08-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, I think it might be two different flecks, the one in my viewfinder is very sharp and the one in my photos is soft and blurry. Gah, only had this camera 4 weeks and before today only took the lens off once!

I will get a rocket blower tomorrow and try all your suggestions, thank you.
08-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I would really wait until you get a blower. Go get one right now, haha.

Definitely do not used compressed air in a can.

You can gently use your breath, but you run the risk of putting spit/moisture on the sensor so if you go this route just blow gently.

**Yes the color one. I like it because you can see more detail than the BW one, but both are nice.
Well, there's a dose of irony. Risk spitting on the sensor rather than use canned gas?
FWIW, I use canned gas for routine sensor cleaning, and have done so with every DSLR I've owned, and have yet to damage a sensor. Further, I have yet to see any bonafide cases of damaging a sensor with canned gas where user negligence wasn't a factor.
But I wouldn't recommend anyone doing what I do.
08-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
The dust you see in your viewfinder is probably on the focusing screen. Could be on the mirror or inside the viewfinder itself. The spec on your photo is probably the result of dust on the sensor. Two different dust specs.. You aren't likely to see dust that is on the lens, either on your photos or through the viewfinder. You could have 100s of dusties inside and on the surface of the lens and it still wouldn't show up as specs on your photos and you probably still would not see it in your viewfinder.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/109456-dirty-sensor.html