Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I did it! Film can and gaffa tape (round the back an sides) and the difference is certainly noticable in a positive way (especially indoors on skin).
For free... it's deffo worth playing around with til I can afford a decent flash!

08-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #17
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I did it! Film can and gaffa tape (round the back an sides) and the difference is certainly noticable in a positive way (especially indoors on skin).
For free... it's deffo worth playing around with til I can afford a decent flash!
Glad you tried it for yourself.

You can also now trying taping a piece of lens tissue in the front (then two) to further diffuse and soften the light.

These cheap fixes DO work, taking into account the limited power of the flash. But if you were shooting a party...and then wanted to spend 10 minutes just shooting some close-up portraits of individual people or a few people where you're in real tight, it's a great solution.

And like you noticed, it makes the skin much more flattering.
08-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was wondering how to diffuse the shadows. Now I know. I shoot a lot of closeups and find shadows are distracting and unwelcome in the photos. Thanks for the suggestion Ira on the lens tissue.
08-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fekish Quote
An autoflash is different than a normal external flash? Or is just a different name?
It's a *type* of external flash - one that calculates exposure itself rather than allowing the camera to do it as TTL / PTTL flashes do. I'd suggest reading up on the different types of flash before buying anything, but you can get an autoflash for about $30.

09-07-2010, 01:45 AM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Ok, so I'm a newbie to and don't even own a diffuser and not all that sure of the effect or worth of using them, until I saw this video on youtube :

I think it helps out a lot with showing you the effect of the diffuser and so you can make an informed choice.

Good luck and take care.