Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Best way I know to see what I'm talking about: actually do the test I mentioned using text on an angle. Note which lines appear in focus in the viewfinder, then take the picture (wide open aperture) and note which lines appear in focus in the shot. If your lens is faster than f/2.8, you'll see a noticeable discrepancy - more lines appearing in focus in the viewfinder than in the actual picture.

Until one fully comes to grips with this, it's easy to jump to the conclusion - as I initially did when I "discovered" the effect first time I tried manually focusing a 50/1.4 - that something is wrong with the camera or the lens or your eyesight. I blamed the camera and sent it in for service; not surprisingly, it came back unchanged. Took weeks of obsessive focus chart testing and Googling before I finally figured out what was going on. And almost instantly, my success rate with my MF lenses started to improve.

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm f1.4 lens, camera, da, f2, focus, kit, lens, pentax help, photography, photos, picasa, smc, smc m 50mm