Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kx question.

I have noticed that even in manual mode, the aperture range varies and I haven't figured out what causes it. Sometimes I am able to lower the aperture to F4.5 and other times I am only able to lower it to F5.6.

Since I mostly take my photos in generally poor lighting, I usually keep the aperture as low as it allows me. I also generally do not use the flash due to my cats eyes being heavily reflected. Is this correct, or does it matter?

08-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your lens, like many lenses, has a variable aperture that changes with the focal length.
08-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

In particular, at the wide end of the zoom, you can go down to f/3.5, but at the long end, you can only go down to f/5.6. In between, you can get to f/4 or f/4.5. That's why the lens is listed as 18-55/3.5-5.6.

Since this is about lenses not camera, but is also a common question among newcomers to DSLR's, I'm moving it to the Beginner's forum.
08-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the response, I see what you mean. That is very interesting. Thank you again for the info.

08-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Unr3a1 Quote
I also generally do not use the flash due to my cats eyes being heavily reflected. Is this correct, or does it matter?
I don't have a cat, but I have a dog and when I bounce the flash, I don't have any problems with the eyes. Do you have an external flash? If you take pictures indoors, you really should own an external flash.
08-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unr3a1 Quote
I also generally do not use the flash due to my cats eyes being heavily reflected. Is this correct, or does it matter?
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
I don't have a cat, but I have a dog and when I bounce the flash, I don't have any problems with the eyes. Do you have an external flash? If you take pictures indoors, you really should own an external flash.
I also shoot my dog indoors and I do get heavy reflection/red eyes when using the pop up flash. A diffuser helps a little bit but since you have a Kx just bump up the ISO to 3200 and you will still get good pictures. Or bump it up to 6400 and use noise ninja.