Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #16
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by koguma Quote
Yeah, it's got the alignment tab. Is the number on that tab of any significance?
Just to make sure, that tab is supposed to be on the top righthand corner when facing your camera, right?
I don't know of any significance to the number. I think these Chinese aftermarket screens are made from other screens of various manufacturers. Some companies use Nikon and Canon screens, others use Pentax. I think most use whatever they get their hands on. So the number could mean just about anything.

With all but the K7 (and maybe the Kx), the tab is on the right, that is correct.



08-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #17
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 43
Original Poster
After wasting time on calling every camera store within a 25 mile radius, I called Pentax. 6 x $.72 + $8 (S&H) = $12.32, shipping out today and should arrive in 4 days. Booya! Hopefully they'll work.
08-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #18
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 43
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob photo 4 life Quote
Wow, you guys are much more camera savvy/braver than I am, can't imagine chaging a focusing screen or any other internal part on mine.
There's some wisdom to not messing with it if you don't have to. These cameras are pretty much precision instruments. Since I used metal tweezers to open the focusing screen holder, I ended up scratching the tab some, and getting fine metallic dust on the mirror/focusing screen. I've cleaned it up, but that kind of dust can fry circuits. You just have to be very careful (probably more careful then I was, as I almost dropped the shim into the pentaprism too). That's what happens when trying various shim about 20 times... Hopefully the shims I ordered will just fit.
09-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #19
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Littleton, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 36
I put one of the katzeye screens into my *ist DL. Apparently Katzeye makes them at the same thickness as the original, because it works fine with my original shim. Now if I could just get the dust out of my view finder. :/

-JRS

09-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #20
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,496
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubergeek72 Quote
I put one of the katzeye screens into my *ist DL. Apparently Katzeye makes them at the same thickness as the original, because it works fine with my original shim. Now if I could just get the dust out of my view finder. :/

-JRS
The Katzeye is close to stock in terms of thickness(but not quite)

Even so... the biggest culprit between stock and split screens is where the stock screen doesn't require any calibration with regards to accurate focusing(close is good enough). However... when you place a split screen in your camera things change. The biggest issue is where you now have to nail your screen calibration in order to match the camera's focus otherwise, the split prisms won't line-up and you will see this either at infinity or with close-ups. I know alot of people claim their screens were calibrated upon installation(no shimming needed), but I assure you, that this is quite rare(if at all) and that if those units were put up against a calibration chart, they would most likely be off as well.

Having said that, a calibrated focusing screen is a real joy to work with and well worth the efforts in getting done imo.
09-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #21
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 43
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
The Katzeye is close to stock in terms of thickness(but not quite)

Even so... the biggest culprit between stock and split screens is where the stock screen doesn't require any calibration with regards to accurate focusing(close is good enough). However... when you place a split screen in your camera things change. The biggest issue is where you now have to nail your screen calibration in order to match the camera's focus otherwise, the split prisms won't line-up and you will see this either at infinity or with close-ups. I know alot of people claim their screens were calibrated upon installation(no shimming needed), but I assure you, that this is quite rare(if at all) and that if those units were put up against a calibration chart, they would most likely be off as well.

Having said that, a calibrated focusing screen is a real joy to work with and well worth the efforts in getting done imo.
Do you know where I can get professional calibration? I purchased the shim set from Pentax and apparently, my focusing screen is some weird odd number. The closest shim is the 'D' shim, but it's still 2-3mm off. It's been frustrating me almost to the point of just forgetting all about using a split screen. The ebay seller I got it from is also a retard when it comes to support. So I'm thinking of getting a second one from another vendor. Can anyone recommend on that worked well for them? Preferably for a K2000?

Thanks!
09-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #22
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,496
QuoteOriginally posted by koguma Quote
Do you know where I can get professional calibration? I purchased the shim set from Pentax and apparently, my focusing screen is some weird odd number. The closest shim is the 'D' shim, but it's still 2-3mm off. It's been frustrating me almost to the point of just forgetting all about using a split screen. The ebay seller I got it from is also a retard when it comes to support. So I'm thinking of getting a second one from another vendor. Can anyone recommend on that worked well for them? Preferably for a K2000?
Assuming you meant 2 to 3mm in focusing distance, the first thing I'd establish is whether or not its on the front or back focusing side. ie. if the focus is prior to the focus plan(front focusing), then you want to add to your shim. You can calibrate a screen with nothing more than a ruler. Though I have found that after nailing close focusing, its quite common to go outside and find the screen being slightly on the infinity end of things. In which case, it would require a little more fine tuning(infinity adjustements require very little in way of change).

One very cost effective way to adjust a screen in the advent that you don't have extra shims is to use 3M tabbing tape:



It's cheap, very thin and reversible(should you add to much) as you can remove it with nail polish remover or some other product like GooGone. Though overall it makes it possible to add very thin layers onto the shim face(within reason ) making calibration easy and accurate. Though the ideal situation is(of course), to order the appropriate shims from Pentax. Which are relatively cheap(3USD each) and you only need a few sizes to get the job done. I had several dozen shims laying around here, but none for your camera unfortunately.
09-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #23
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 43
Original Poster
Final update..

I'd like to thank everyone for helping me out with the focusing screen & shims.

In a strange turn of events, after I had bought some metallic 3M tape and sat down to slap it on the D shim, it still did not work. In frustration, I reversed the focusing screen (tab is now on the left side when you face the camera), shim 'B' worked with this setup, and it's perfect. How weird is that?

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, focus, lenses, pentax help, photography, screen, split
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Focusing manual lens with OEM focusing screen, is a split screen really needed? skid2964 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 16 09-17-2010 02:54 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax Brand Focusing Screens and Katz Eye Focusing Screen K10D/K20D (Worldwid superbass Sold Items 8 03-26-2010 01:42 PM
For Sale - Sold: Minolta X-700 Focusing Screen (for you to cut your own split screen) frank Sold Items 3 09-24-2009 10:08 PM
Seeking advice on focusing screen (split screen) for K200D Ari Freund Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 07-31-2009 03:00 AM
For Sale - Sold: K100d and 18-55mm kit lens + split focusing screen installed + glass screen pr vanchaz2002 Sold Items 1 07-24-2008 07:09 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:49 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top