Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Contaminants in Images

I have noticed a few contaminants in some of my K-x images. especially in photos with a light-clear sky back ground. In the middle of the image there is an object shaped like a tipped over S and to the upper right a few specks. I remove these in my photo software but I would like to remove them from my camera. I just don't know what to clean. I tried the lens with a soft lens cleaning rag and blew off the image sensor after I removed the lens. But the contaminants are still appearing. Any ideas?
Also, a very good friend just gave me a used SMC Pentax-FA 28-200 Zoom lens. It is great over all, but I am getting many washed out photos on sunny days. I have the dial set to auto picture, but the wash out is pretty dramatic. When I shoot away from direct sun or in shade, then there is no problem. I am not sure how to eliminate this washout, what to do different. Any help on these two issues would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! - Mike

08-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mspotter56 Quote
I have noticed a few contaminants in some of my K-x images. especially in photos with a light-clear sky back ground. In the middle of the image there is an object shaped like a tipped over S and to the upper right a few specks. I remove these in my photo software but I would like to remove them from my camera. I just don't know what to clean. I tried the lens with a soft lens cleaning rag and blew off the image sensor after I removed the lens. But the contaminants are still appearing. Any ideas?
Also, a very good friend just gave me a used SMC Pentax-FA 28-200 Zoom lens. It is great over all, but I am getting many washed out photos on sunny days. I have the dial set to auto picture, but the wash out is pretty dramatic. When I shoot away from direct sun or in shade, then there is no problem. I am not sure how to eliminate this washout, what to do different. Any help on these two issues would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! - Mike
1. I see this question so many times, I did my own writeup on it.. Hope it helps you..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/109456-dirty-se...ml#post1128045

2. If you're getting washed out photos you are over exposing for some reason. Either your ISO is too high, your shutter speed is too slow, or your aperture is too wide open, or a combination of all 3. That's if it's something YOU are doing. If you are using one of the Auto modes, Av, Tv, Green, etc, be sure you have the lens set on A (you have to push the little button next to the A to turn the aperture ring all the way to A). If it is there and none of the above is true, you may need to clean the contacts so the camera knows where the lens aperture is at. If all that fails, check and make sure there is no oil on the aperture blades. If there is, then they won't close fast enough to give you proper exposure. For focusing and viewing purposes, the lens aperture is held open until you press the shutter release. Once you press the shutter release, the aperture blades are supposed to immediately close to your predetermined aperture (either from the camera or from the setting of the aperture ring). Oiled blades will prevent that from happening.

Last edited by JeffJS; 08-28-2010 at 12:23 PM.
08-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps you have no lens hood, and so when shooting toward the sun direction you are getting flare which may wash out the image and lower contrast.

I suggest using P mode instead of fully auto. It still adjusts the shutter and aperture, but it allows you to vary the exposure compensation and other settings that you can't in auto.

And get a big Giotto rocket blower that will move a lot of air per squeeze. Also, turn off the camera when changing lenses. I've notice dramatic dust reduction by doing that.