Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Shooting on a sunny day

Hi all,

I have my son's birthday party tomorrow. It is a pool party and the weather is expected to be sunny all day. It kicks off at 1pm. My question is what lens to use and if you have any pointers on camera setup etc.

The lens choice is kit lens, 50mm 1.4 M , 135mm 3.5.

Camera is K100D

I'd like some good candid shots, some bokeh.

Any tips?

08-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Grab the kit lens, as you'll likely want the zoom range, and you won't really need a fast aperture. If it's going to be really bright out, perhaps add a -0.5ev exposure compensation just in case the light meter is fooled by reflections, etc.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd expect the kit lens to be most generally useful, but hve the 135 handy for closeups from a little distance. And definitely watch the exposure - depending on the specifics of the shot, you might sometimes need negative compensation to avoid blowing out out highlights, but you'll also very likely need positive compensation on other shots where you don't mind some blown highlights but want to get a subject in shadow to not look too dark. If you're unfamiliar with the basics of exposure and metering, see if you can read up on the subject between now and then - otherwise, just shooting in auto mode and hope for the best, but realize up front that most likely shots will be darker and others lighter.
08-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you have to shoot in the direction of the sun, consider using the flash for fill light.

08-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
regarding bokeh - if you're using the 50, I wouldn't shoot at 1.4 as the area in focus will be very slim if you're close to your subject and if they move they are likely to be out of focus. Also, that lens tends to be sharper at higher apertures. If you are pretty close to your subject and the background is far away, you should get quite a bit of bokeh. But as others mentioned, be careful where the light is so you can adjust exposure. If you keep the sun at your back and keep your subjects in the sun, you should be ok.
09-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You already received some solid advice.

One more suggestion: on a sunny day, consider seriously to use the hood on your lens. It will assist to reduce the risk of flare.
09-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:

One more suggestion: on a sunny day, consider seriously to use the hood on your lens. It will assist to reduce the risk of flare.
Always use a hood. It provides physical protection as well preventing flare.