Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #1

SLR Newbie question about composing with the LCD Monitor

I'm very new to SLR's and I'm playing with a Pentax K110d. Am I not able to compose photos in the LCD monitor? I saw an old question about this here, but it was from 3 years ago. Have times changed? Thanks!

08-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No, with the K110D you'll have to use the viewfinder to compose. Newer pentax models are able to do LCD composition.

I actually like the ability to compose with the LCD screen. It's really helpful with macro shots, and when I strap the camera to the 1000mm mirror lens and take moon shots.
08-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JackStands Quote
I'm very new to SLR's and I'm playing with a Pentax K110d. Am I not able to compose photos in the LCD monitor?
Until the last year or two, most DSLR's - including the K110D - did not provide this feature. SLR's provide excellent optical viewfinders, and that is indeed the whole reason for the invention of the SLR in the first place. Live view (the term for what you are referring to) does occasionally have its uses, but mostly, it's a much inferior way to use a camera. P&S cameras do this only because it's cheaper than providing a decent optical viewfinder.

QuoteQuote:
I saw an old question about this here, but it was from 3 years ago. Have times changed?
Most DSLR's produced in the last year or two do provide live view, yes - but the K110D is much older than that.
08-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #4

Don't feel too bad - live view on the K20D pretty much sucks. It doesn't not auto-focus like you think it should (have to use the AF button on the back of the camera, and wait 2-3 seconds of blackness while that happens). I only use it if I'm holding the camera in a position that isn't convenient to use the viewfinder...

No idea if the newer models improved on this or not.

08-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I usually don't link wikipedia articles at the risk of seeming like a jerk but these might be of help, and a good read as well

Live preview - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Digital single-lens reflex camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
08-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tfischer Quote
Don't feel too bad - live view on the K20D pretty much sucks. It doesn't not auto-focus like you think it should (have to use the AF button on the back of the camera, and wait 2-3 seconds of blackness while that happens). I only use it if I'm holding the camera in a position that isn't convenient to use the viewfinder...

No idea if the newer models improved on this or not.
The K7 is very much improved over the K20d with respect to live view. The AF is still slow but nothing like the K20d. They've recently added the ability to use the shutter button to autofocus in LV as well.

I still prefer the viewfinder however. On a sunny day, there isn't really enough contrast on the rear screen for it to be of any use in composition. If that were the only improvement over the K20d however, I wouldn't recommend it just for the LV.