Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Greetings from Cape Cod

Hello,
I am so happy that I found this forum. I love taking pictures and always shot great pictures with the point and shoot type cameras. Now I'm looking for a bit more and find myself clueless.
I decided that I want a new lense for my SLR camera for my birthday. My birthday is tomorrow and my research showed me that there are too many choices and I don't know where to start. There are abreviations and terminology that I don't understand.
I wonder if someone could suggest a book or article for learning the basics. If someone has a suggestion for a lense to take close up pictures at children's sporting events, I would be very greatful.
Thanks,
Lynne

08-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Lynne, and welcome!

First off, let's narrow down your lens choice to two categories containing only the latest digital-only lenses:
Pentax DA Series Prime Lens Reviews and Specifications - Pentax Lens Review Database
Pentax DA Series Zoom Lens Reviews and Specifications - Pentax Lens Review Database

Here's is an article that I've written that explains all the terminology and the features of the various Pentax lenses: Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Hope others can help you with the rest!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Welcome to the Forum. This is indeed a very friendly forum and worth to read/interact/contribute.

There have been a few threads on pictures at children's sporting events. Some suggested the 50-200mm or 50-300mm zoom kit lenses. However it would be useful to have more info:
- what distance ?
- how much action ?
- what light (indoord, outdoor, low-light) ?

I take shots of my kids at the (outdoor) swimming pool using my 18-250mm all-rounder lens and it works nicely. In low light, I prefer to use my fast prime lens (Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4). The large aperture (low f value) provides a better light into the camera sensor, allowing a faster shutter speed that is relevant for sport action. Off course the 58mm focal length is limited to actions within 5-10 m.

Two weeks ago, I was at a fair and my children were riding a number of rides. I was about 10-25 m away and the sunlight was good. I was quite happy with the shots that I took with my Tamron 90mm SP.

Hope that the few suggestions may help for a start....
08-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Happy Birthday and Welcome aboard!

I don't have any specific suggestions for a lens or lenses. All I'll say is that if you need help choosing, you'll have to be a little more specific as to what Types of sporting events you want to capture the kiddies at. Indoor, Outdoor, fast moving, slow moving, etc. It would also help if you defined a budget. We all love to spend other people's money for them but all too often, it's based on Our preferences and budget.