Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #1

K-x firmware update

Just wondering - I have been reading a lot of reviews for the K-x, and battery issues and the need for a firmware update have been mentioned in many. Is this an issue that was limited to the first K-x's to hit the market that has since been resolved in the factory or will I have to do the firmware update when my K-x arrives? It may not make any difference but we already own several sets of Eneloop batteries for various toys and games and I intend to use them in my K-x too.

08-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You will need to do the update. Just go to Pentax Support and click cameras - digital slr - k-x - check firmware and click submit. All the instructions are there.

Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
08-30-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I thought the new ones were being released with the latest firmware. But in any case doing the update yourself will only take <5min.

My Kx with Eneloops and the update I can take approximately 800 photos on a full charge without problem.
08-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The update is super easy to do; just read the instructions carefully and don't start doing it unless you know you have plenty of power left in the batteries inside your kx.

08-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i guess the fastest and the easiest way to tell is to hold down the menu button when you turn on the camera. I had the same thought wif u, was thinking they would update it at the factory, but NO......i got mine 4 months ago shipped directly from Japan, and they did not have the problem fixed
08-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought mine less than 2 months ago and had to update firmware. 2 minute job
09-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #7

I haven't updated my firmware yet, but haven't had any problems with battery meter either. I am still on my original set of batteries that came with the camera and I have taken 1886 shots on it! I also transfer files directly from camera to computer, most of them raw + jpeg. I am truly impressed!
09-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kmets Quote
I haven't updated my firmware yet, but haven't had any problems with battery meter either. I am still on my original set of batteries that came with the camera and I have taken 1886 shots on it! I also transfer files directly from camera to computer, most of them raw + jpeg. I am truly impressed!
I'm on my second K-x (had to turn my first one in to my former company), and the same experience here with both cameras:

The supplied lithiums last forever.

As a matter of fact, since I shoot 99.999% older manual lenses--no autofocus to drain batteries--all I use are disposable lithiums.

But if I were you, I would buy a card reader. I don't like the idea of interacting the camera's software with my computer's. I'm just afraid something weird could happen which would fry the camera's firmware.

09-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #9

Thanks Ira, I do have a card reader, and forgot all about it. I was reading here about using one recently so I did use it last time I downloaded.
09-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Anyone who uses eneloops, do you burn them down until the camera can't take another shot or do you swap them and recharge when it starts warning about low battery?
09-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
TWN

I bought my K-x about two weeks ago and I had to do the version upgrade,no biggy considering it was the very first thing I did and I have absolutely no idea on how to use a dslr,or any camera for that matter.
The firmware update is really not an issue,was really not an issue for me.Was done as previously mentioned by others to only take about five minutes.
But I remember reading somewhere on the Pentax site,or in the instruction manual, about checking the version number to see if you needed the upgrade.That implies that some may not need to upgrade depending on their version
Has anybody purchased a K-x that was version 1.01 right out of the box?

Last edited by TWN; 09-04-2010 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Wrong version number
09-04-2010, 05:49 AM   #12

version two? has there been any new firmware update? i got mine last march and already, my firmware was updated to the latest version out of the box.
09-04-2010, 07:08 AM   #13
TWN

You firmware should be 1.01 for the K-x
09-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian

With most modern rechargeable batteries, it doesn't particularly matter if you drain the batteries down all the way to the point where they won't shoot any more or not. Some cells might not like being taken all the way to completely dead, but your camera will stop being able to use them *long* before that.
03-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by TWN Quote
You firmware should be 1.01 for the K-x
Just looked at the Pentax site and they are showing a version 1.02 of the firmware. Would you have to update to 1.01 , then to 1.02; or would 1.02 included the changes from 1.01 as well?