Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #1

A question for enthusiastic photographers

I beleive many of you share the same feeling I've got about photography - I like taking photos that "catch the moment". I don't like to open a tripod for every shot and then take a few moments to calibrate the exposure. I travel a lot and like to carry the camera with me, ready to shoot.

I've got a problem, though: Until a week ago, I had a point&shoot camera - Canon S3, which was pretty good p&s but also relatively heavy and expensive. Though, a few weeks after buying it I realized it is going to spend much more time outside its protective case. After having it for about four years, it became a joke between friends on how much my camera have suffered throughout the time. It fell. It got wet. It lost the shooting modes wheel's sticker. But it worked just like it did when it got out of the box.

Now I have a dual lens K-x kit. I am about to travel (hike) with it in less than 48 hours. I have two concerns: 1. it will get damaged 2. I will miss great shots because I will keep it in its bag all the time because of (1).

So after writing too much the question is - how do you balance between these two issues?

Thanks,
Yotam

08-31-2010, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

It's designed to take photographs. Use it, enjoy it, try not to drop it!
08-31-2010, 12:16 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe try to find a camera bag that allows very easy access, so you know is safe, but you can grab it fast if you need to. Keep the strap around your neck and unless you plan to fall camera will be fine. I also got a K-x, and had the feeling that camera can be damaged in 1000 ways at every step, being the first DSLR. Now i got used to it, and i just take normal care (use the strap, protect from rain, moisture, don't change lenses in dusty/windy/wet areas, put it in the bag where i have few silica bags).
I always remove the camera from bag with both hands, one on the camera, one on the strap, so i'm sure it won't be dropped. Have a nice trip and enjoy the camera!
08-31-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter

There are a number of harnesses and straps that are made for walking while keeping the camera close to your body and ready to use. I use the dead simple SunSniper which crosses my body diagonally and keeps the camera slightly behind me right over my butt. Way more comfortable than a neck strap. Because it is mostly behind me it does not bump trees and rocks as I walk. The camera slides on the strap so its up to your eye in one second and impossible to drop. It screws into the 1/4" tripod mount on the bottom. They make a slightly more expensive one with steel cable hidden in the strap to prevent thieves from cutting it from behind you in a crowd but I skipped that part as there are no crowds in the marshes I hike.

08-31-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Try something like this: B-grip - The camera belt grip
09-01-2010, 05:06 AM   #6

Hiking with the K-x

Go buy a "binocular" strap, and a neoprene cover for the camera/lens. The binocular strap makes an "X" across your back, and takes a bit of practice to get on correctly. It is extremely comfortable, much better than the neck strap. The X strap cost $10 at B&H. I got an extra set of quick release snaps, so the I can switch between the regular neck strap and the "X" strap quickly. I'm sure most camera stores have the snaps, as well as the neoprene cover. The neoprene cover is the size that fits a D5000, small Canon SLR, etc, with the kit lens. You can probably get the binocular strap at any place that sells hunting optics, like Cabela's, etc.

Here is my setup (sorry about the crappy photos...) - it does not interfere with the backpack. The camera is more or less instantly available, and use the leash that comes with the neoprene cover. Note the sternum strap goes under the camera strap. I got the camo color, so as to be invisible, ha, ha. Actually, the camo cover shown in the following photos is a cover for an SLR with no lens - fits the K-x and DA limited lenses perfectly. The neoprene covers keep the camera/lens more or less dry, and you can put the X strap on underneath rain gear if you have to. LensCoat makes the neoprene covers.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-ZS3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-ZS3  Photo 
09-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

At the time the original poster admitted he had less than 48 hours; which is now less than 36 hours until his departure. Finding something at a local store is his only consideration.

Perhaps in reality on this trip, JohnX provides us all with the best advice for many situations. "It's designed to take photographs. Use it, enjoy it, try not to drop it!"
Sure this does not always apply and some precautions are administered. But when in doubt... WWJXD?

09-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
It's designed to take photographs. Use it, enjoy it, try not to drop it!
Ditto.

A camera sitting in a bag is worthless.
09-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
TWN

Photos: Gallery
I am a two week old newbie and I say if your camera isn't around your neck then you aren't prepared,and just use common sense.
I notice a lot of comments on how to store,safeguard,pad,etc,but focus on where is that camera when this shot presents itself to you here in this moment,not after unpacking,unwrapping,opening,you get the picture,sorry about all t he puns but they just happen.
09-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

When I'm hiking, I often wrap the strap securely around the arm that I'm holding it on. If I ever need to use both hands, I either sling it over my shoulder and under 1 arm like a messenger bag (admittedly not the smartest solution but it's quick and easy, and I can use my elbow to nudge it out of the way), or it goes into the bag quickly. Keeping the strap wrapped around my arm makes it pretty easy to carry, and the camera won't get hurt; the only way it'd fall is if I did.
09-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I use my camera often, but gently, similar to advice from JohnX. I use really cheap, simple carrying methods. For most hiking around, I put the camera and extra lens in a convenient place in a conventional backpack and get it out when I see something I want to shoot. Minor inconvenience, but it works for me. I carry the camera out if the weather is good, hike is not too strenuous, and vistas are coming fast. I also carry a big ziploc bag and put it in there if it rains, and there it stays in the backpack if the rain is continuous. My $0.02 - FWIW.
09-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I use a "CRUMPLER" strap (as opposed to a NECK strap). This is a longer strap which is very comfortable to wear all day. The camera is carried diagonally from one side of the neck to the opposite hip at hip level. Like I say, I can walk around this way all day even with a heavier lens on the camera as I like to use the old MF lenses.
09-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #13

Original Poster
thanks to all of you
as I did not have the time to look for the suggested equipment for this trip, I'll take the suggestion to try not to drop it

I'm leaving to the airport in a hour. When I come back I'll get some better strap for the next trips...

thanks a lot for your tips!!